VodkaPundit

As California Goes, So Goes Colorado

January 22nd, 2014 - 8:31 am

It’s sad to watch my once-proud state descend into California-level insanity, but here’s yet another example of just that:

A proposed ballot initiative in Colorado would require couples to undergo 10 hours of pre-wedding marriage education before they can legally tie the knot.

The measure, proposed by the California-based group Kids Against Divorce, would then require people who are marrying for a second time to clock 20 hours of counseling, 30 hours for a third marriage and so on, the Denver Post reported.

Kids Against Divorce? The name of this phony-balony group might as well be “For the Children!™”

I’m reminded of anti-drunk driving laws. A laudable effort, to be sure, but an entire quasi-private industry has grown up around the laws. Instead of paying your fines and doing your community service, offenders also have to endure hours of “support” lessons. It’s a state-mandated industry for otherwise unemployable lefties.

If this thing becomes a part of the state constitution, we’ll have another quasi-private industry for pre-marriage counseling.

And I’d honestly rather live in sin than pay any money to these charlatans.

"And I’d honestly rather live in sin than pay any money to these charlatans."

As one happily married for nearly 17 years I say this is one more reason (in addition to same-sex union controversies) to lobby for getting the State out of the business of marriage. What business is it of any government what my living arrangements are as long as nobody gets hurt? My marriage concerns me, my spouse, God and our local community, family and friends. That's it! If the State calls that "living in sin" then they can get bent!

And, yes, I expect that these state-sanctioned "professionals" will have about as much measurable effect on divorce rates and broken homes as drug laws have had on rates of addictions.
Has anyone ever benefited from "counseling?" The courts now use this measure to solve everything from drug use/spousal abuse/reckless driving/alcoholism etc. Order them to "counseling" and now all is right. BTW "counselors" in public education do almost nothing and waste resources that could be better spent on Education. (First hand knowledge here)
So how far is WYoming from Monument and are they as liberal as Nevada vis-a-vis marriage licenses/civil ceremonies?
At 10 hours per marriage, some Hollywood types will have counseling sessions that exceed the length of the marriage itself.
Oh, GOOD. Because there wasn't enough disincentive to marry already. Let's PLEASE weigh this down with mandatory counseling and lots of paperwork. I hear those things are magic talismans that make the world better instantaneously.

Also: Unless "Kids Against Divorce" is staffed by actual children (not just mental ones), they need a more truthful name. For example: "Nosy Obnoxious Litigious Control-Freaks Against Individual Decision-Making".
"I’d honestly rather live in sin than pay any money to these charlatans."

40 hrs of no-wedding education to learn how to take care of kids while living in sin.
Now the trick question, will same sex marriages be allowed an exemption?
This isn't sufficiently progressive, it is clearly reactive in nature, not proactive. They are waiting until a marriage is pending to intervene for the couple's own good, which is far too late. Progressive Colorado leaders should demand better than this, couples should be counseled before they contemplate dating.

Or better yet, counseling on interpersonal relationships before leaving the house and meeting other people.

Counselors could sign up for their union membership when applying for their counselor license from the State. Win-win!
But let's not forget the counseling of the parents on how to prepare their children for the counseling they need before leaving the house and meeting other people....
I'm tellin ya, to all you folks not in CA, DO NOT let us Californians move to your state. Take a page from CA's own history. Station highway patrol troopers, or hell, local cops, at your state's boarders and turn back any car w/ CA plates.

I'm hoping to move back home to TX at some point. But if you other states actually do this, I'm willing to take one for the team.

Also, all you rent-seekers, die in a fire.
Years ago, I used to see bumper stickers, "Don't Californiaize Colorado". Apparently that effort failed.

People from California (and Massachusetts) should be confined to their own states, without possibility of reprieve, or at least prohibited from registering to vote in their new state of residence.
Hey, as a resident Masshole on PJM I resemble that remark!
I'm more of the 'Give everything west of the Crest of the Sierra's and south of the Canadian border, back to Mexico. And require a passport and Visa to cross the new line', school. Maybe make a deal to hold on to the National Parks......
1 2 Next View All