VodkaPundit

A Long Time Ago at an Auction Far, Far Away…

December 4th, 2013 - 11:46 am

BLAST

Yeah, I’m going to need you all to send me $300,000, maybe $400,000 just to be safe.

And if you’ll click the link, please notice the item description indicates that this is a “non-firing” Han Solo blaster.

****

Cross-posted at PJ Lifestyle

Or you could buy a beat up broom handle mauser (like shown), paint it black, bolt a flash suppressor and cheap scope on it, and there you go.
Too bad they wrecked a nice Broomhandle Mauser to make that....
Thems are cool, had a few myself in .30 mauser and 9mm.

Always thought it was funny how a 100 year old pistol looked high-tech enough to represent a "space age" weapon in the Directors mind....

Just shows how "Emotionaly Ignorant" some folks are about guns...

Maybe that
Um... no.

What made Star Wars unique at the time was that it was the first science fiction movie to make the future look old. The Empire had shiny new toys, but everybody else had to settle for used, dirty, worn out, jury-rigged.
Even after a decade and change in the entertainment business, I'll never understand the attraction to beat to hell screen-used props. Yes, some of them are pretty iconic, but all they're ever going to do is sit under glass somewhere and oxidize.

Any of a dozen decent prop houses could build you a very realistic knockoff-- by which I mean one made from a real Mauser with all the real gadgets, for less than a tenth of that. Hell, a competent gunsmith could make a -working- version.
I imagine that since you're in the business, to you this is just a prop. For a lot of us it is something iconic that a reproduction couldn't replace.
I was for a long time before sanity prevailed. I understand the neat factor of owning props and reproductions-- I have a few myself. However, this is just a beat to hell epoxy gun, it's not even the metal "hero" gun. The fact that it was screen used makes it desirable, but it's massively overvalued. If all you want is a conversation piece, you could do much better for a tiny fraction of the cost.

About the only market for this sort of thing are the crazies who just have to own the only one there is so they can lock it in a safe somewhere and keep anyone else from touching it.

One Trackback to “A Long Time Ago at an Auction Far, Far Away…”