VodkaPundit

You Can’t Touch This

November 6th, 2013 - 7:15 am

DISPLAY

Speaking of firing on all cylinders, Amazon’s new Kindle Fire HDX just beat out the iPad Air in a series of display tests.

Of course, as a touch device the Kindle Fire is still hampered by much poorer responsiveness, even if the screen might look a bit better. They’re great tablets for the price, but Amazon has got to do something about those Android innards.

Yahhhhh!!!!

The chips that run the thing are made in my factory (as are all kindle chips). It is all the same chip basically. It is a lot easier to build the hardware than the software. Kind of like a parable of civilization in general. You can build roads, but if you don't know where your going, any road will get you there.
How does the lab assess? Lab sounds scientific, but it's humans who assess. It's the opinion of the workers in the lab that Kindle ...
When the overall analysis says "The Kindle Fire and iPad Air are both top notch displays, with the Kindle performing slightly better than the iPad." it's a bit odd to talk about "beat out", which implies rather more of a difference than that, doesn't it?

"Edged out", I think - while both of them beat the Nexus, though in a way that won't matter much to consumers much. The Nexus is good, rather than excellent, after all.

(I mean, the color fidelity is good on both of them - but most people seem to not even care that OLEDs are massively distorting color, and the Nexus would solidly beat an OLED on fidelity.

It's nice to see that both the Fire and Air could nearly work as reference monitors, though. Raising the bar is always a plus.)
Hmmmm. That doesn't agree with the reviews of the new Fire HD I've been reading, by new owners.

According to those, the new dual-core unit demonstrates a very quick response; one reviewer said "instantaneous." The biggest gripes seem to be about the lack of camera and a mike.
Meh.

I replaced my old kindle with the HD because it was $139.

I use it mostly has a reader, but one I can surf with if I'm bored.
Have to agree on the Kindle Fire's response time. It's fine as an e-reader, but I find it lacking as a tablet when compared to an iPad.

It's good enough at the price, but when asked, I've recommended to spend the extra money for an iPad.