VodkaPundit

Wither Home Box Office?

October 22nd, 2013 - 4:06 pm

FLIX

That’s from Derek Thompson who asks, “How long can Netflix’s amazing run last?

But I think that’s the wrong question.

The right question might be, Why is HBO’s subscriber base nearly static?

HBO has seen Netflix grow and grow, yet have clung to their same old model. There was some brief excitement here at Casa Verde when they announced HBO Go, but the excitement quickly subsided when we found out it’s a “halfway pregnant” effort. Even at that HBO Go is available only to existing cable subscribers. Their growth model is… well, it’s there on the chart.

HBO's viewer base is stable, consisting entirely of people who never knew they could cancel it after the trial period when they got cable.
Ever since Six Feet Under concluded nothing that HBO has offered has had any interest for me (and I rented the DVDs for that show). However I have had Netflix for almost 8 or 9 years now and I have seen some of the most obscure and interesting material that I would never have found anywhere else. Two years ago I took the cable box back to Comcast and have used Netflix, Amazon and YouTube for my entertainment. And I am completely satisfied.
I have never had cable but have been a Netflix subscriber now going on 7 years. And I am sure I am not the only one. This marketing strategy scores a big miss! Anyways, figure that Netflix's market limit is somewhere near the total number of households in the country. They are not there yet.
I've never kept HBO past the 3 month free periods handed out every now and then. It was never worth the cost for the content since I don't watch a whole lot of TV as it is. As far as Netflix, I still stubbornly pay for it (6-7 years and counting), but I never use it either. Most of what I watch is live sports and a handful of still-airing TV shows. Netflix just never has anything I care to watch (new movies mainly). They're all kind of useless to me. The best deal to me is cheap DirecTV and free Amazon instant video that comes along with my Prime account. That has me about 99% covered. Hell, I can't remember the last time I opened the Amazon Video app, either.
About every other time I go into Sam's, there's a new kid shilling DirecTV. I just look at him and say "Netflix", and he goes, "Oh, yeah, OK,..."

It's the un-bundling, stupid!!

And, couple of years ago, I checked and realized that I had gone a whole month without watching any of the premium channels I subscribed to. I don't care so much that I'm months behind the networks - I do care that I don't have to watch the frikkin' commercials for almost 18 minutes out of an hour when I watch on DVD.
Between Netflix and Amazon Prime I'mna pretty much done with cable, satellite, broadcast, whatev. And with my BlueRay DVD player some surprising stuff is available on YouTube. If you've any inkling of interest in Cricket, or Bollywood, and even if you don't, look up Iqbal. It won't waste your time.
Did you deliberately misspell "whither"? Because "wither" also works. Just askin'.
Yeah, Derek Thomson has the question exactly backwards. Cable television is not the future. On demand, over the internet, probably to mobile devices is.

I'd happily pay HBO a monthly fee for HBOgo. But I ain't gonna subscribe to a cable company to do it.
It's static due to bundling, which HBO and other providers are going to cling to until their respective death rattles.

I expect that within the next 5-10 years.
That long?