VodkaPundit

What’s Your Number?

September 29th, 2013 - 1:21 pm

I have 39 of “40 Things Every Self-Respecting Man Over 30 Should Own.” The one I don’t have is the Leatherman, which I’ve never found as nice or as convenient to use as a Swiss Army Knife and a pair of needle nose pliers. And the record player hasn’t been actually wired into anything for years.

Curiously, I had them all except for the Leatherman and an umbrella (of all things) by my late 20s, before marrying Melissa. I came “pre-trained,” as she like to say.

I also don’t understand why a black suit. If you own only one suit, it should be navy. You buy black as your third or fourth suit, after you add charcoal and then maybe something summer weight, like a light gray Glen plaid. But navy will get you in and out of everything from a job interview to a casket.

Are you missing anything?

(Hat tip, Glenn — who’s still carrying a kid’s wallet? Really? Still, he’s got the Leatherman.)

There are no firearms on that list.
Black suit? How about Dress Blues (branch of service optional)?
That's not a toolkit. That is a something you'd buy in Toys R Us.

And not any flashlight, and not any Maglite. But a D cell maglite - 'cause that is also a fine billy club.

And not just one set of jumper cables either. And a "decent car" ? I drive a Jeep goddamnit and if this metrosexual does not like it, he can come over here and tell it to my face, right Stephen?

Only thing I really missing are the basketball, baseball etc.
37. I don't drink coffee, so no french press. I do keep a coffee maker and sealed coffee around for overnight guests who like a cup in the morning. I'll start my day with English breakfast tea, thank you. No turntable, no vinyl so I probably never will. No flask, and no idea why I don't have one. Definitely need to correct that.

I'm with you on the Navy suit vs. Black. There are occasions where black isn't appropriate, but Navy always works.

I agree with others on this list, there are some things missing. A firearm, you don't have to hunt but every man should know how to handle and shoot a gun. Hard to do unless you own one. There is nothing quite as pathetic as a man who looks uncomfortable around a firearm. Like the passport, you may not use it often but it's a worthwhile investment.

In addition to playing cards a decent set of poker chips, clay not plastic. You can pick them on the cheap anywhere, and they are handy to have around.

And one final thing that isn't a thing at all, a regular person who cuts your hair. SuperCuts may have worked in high school and college, but now you're over 30 and a bad haircut is a bad impression. You don't have to pay out the nose, just be able to make an appointment.
I have neither a black nor a navy-blue suit. I don't look good in either color. I have a navy-blue blazer, which I wear over khakis and such. And a couple of charcoal-gray suits, as well as a deep olive-green suit. Which I look frickin' spectacular in. ;-)

I have quite a few of the other items, though I seemingly don't have the full bar set. Nor, really, a wet bar with which to fill it out. That will have to be rectified.
I'm batting about .500, depending on interpretations and whether it counts if my mother-in-law brought it into the house.

I own a watch but don't wear it. Checking the time on my phone may be "so 2011" but since when does a man pick up or drop something just because some jerkoff with a website says it's "in" or "out."

I happen to think a man should carry items on his person wherever and whenever feasible, that will let him meet at least 85% of the challenges he may meet. Hence Leatherman, folding knife, and pocket flashlight.

I am a sufficiently free man that I can refuse, 99.44% of the time, to endure security-theater rules that prohibit these items.
Oh, and I'm about 37 on that list. I have two suits: new (10 years, bought it to get married in) and old (20 years, bought it to interview in). Both more-or-less black...
You should reconsider the turntable. I fished mine out (bought circa 1986), got it repaired, hooked it up to the big speakers--along the way I found out I had to buy a phono preamp, since I long-since got rid of my last receiver with one--and dropped the needle on a recent re-release of "Aja" shortly after we moved.

In a word, "Whoa." I didn't realize what I was missing. Yeah, crackles, surface noise, not as convenient, but still... whoa.
If compression's getting you down, there are a number of places one can purchase uncompressed audio. hdtracks.com to name one.

The idea of using an technology that was outdated 40 years ago to get a tiny bit more resolution that a) Is available elsewhere, and b) Few people cannot hear without 20k+ in audio gear, and c) Most people cannot hear at all... is kinda silly.
Honestly, I would have said exactly the same thing 90 days ago. I was an early and enthusiastic convert to CDs, and have rarely if ever looked back at vinyl since I got my first player in late 1984.

I was as surprised as anybody when I hooked that old relic up (to two-orders-of-magnitude-less than $20k worth of gear) and it just blew away the CD, crackling and all. I'm still shocked.
Sounds an awful lot like something in the CD's signal path is less than stellar, which the other device escapes. While CDs do tend to roll off frequencies over 20kHz, the human ear can't detect higher frequencies, and very few audio systems can reproduce them anyway.
I own a nice leather wallet. It's in a drawer somewhere. I use a double-sided money clip. It has a lower profile than a wallet and fits comortably in a front pocket.

Also missing from the list: handkerchiefs
Handkerchief, good catch. And same rule as the undershirts, when they start to yellow throw them out.
Best comment on that list: You can't fix metrosexuality with Ductape® and a toy tool kit.

Missing are: A real car, a motorcycle, and a firearm. Among other things.
Only 21 for me. But that’s by conscious choice, and I’m actually kinda proud about that.
1 2 Next View All