VodkaPundit

iPhone Ship Dates Slip, Gold’s a Hit

September 20th, 2013 - 10:37 am

Wait Times

Anybody paying attention the last six years knew it would happen, and within hours.

I stayed up late last night to order Melissa’s and mine, because I didn’t want to wait forever, but I also didn’t want to wait in line at an Apple Store today. Totally worth the loss of sleep.

Then there’s this:

Gold

When I read the gold iPhone rumors a couple months ago, I wondered if the company had lost its collective mind. But then I saw the things and… not bad. Not bad at all. Apple’s going to sell a jillion of them in gold.

But not to me. Melissa and I are getting ours in “Space Gray.”

UPDATE: This has me wondering if Tim Cook didn’t get the product mix wrong. Too little gold, too many 5C models.

Looks like pyrite.
Blackberry shares just got halted.

Say g'night, Gracie.

$1B in losses; laying off 4,500 employees; cash reserves down.

Sales of 3.7 million units, vs 6.8 last quarter.

Absolutely brutal.
"Anyone paying attention the last six years..." Heh. Apple always sells out, always has supply-chain issues. On the other hand, Apple also has $100+ billion in the bank. I think

What is interesting, in light of all the pundit carping (no, not you) about Apple not sufficiently addressing the low-end market, is that the demand is for the 5s. Then again, when I replace my 4s, it will be with a 5s, not a 5c.
Don't expect the real 5C demand to show up right away. Different market. Not the kind of people who wait in line overnight. Could be outselling the 5S in 6 months (I'm guessing that what Apple thinks), but we won't know till it happens.
Apple probably would have had a heavier 5S balance today if they could have.
The gold phone is hideous. Now, if it had black panels, it'd be a different story, but making the thing white and gold aims it squarely at the kardashian demographic. Probably good for the bottom line, but, ugh.

Turning "black" into "space gray" was also less than brilliant.

Now, if they made a plated rose gold and black one, I'd be throwing money at the screen.
I thought gold was a bad idea ... if it was "gold plated" gold.

The moment people started speculating about a "champagne" gold ala the old titanium-gold camera color, it made sense and clicked.