VodkaPundit

Ye Olde Amazon

September 11th, 2013 - 2:36 pm

Talk about memory lane — via Glenn Reynolds, it’s 12 big websites as they first appeared. Here’s where half of my money has gone in the last decade-plus:

Ye Olde Amazon

You might marvel at how primitive some of these websites appear, but there’s something you have to keep in mind. In 1995, most of us — if we had a computer at all — were staring at a 13″ screen with a VGA resolution of just 640×480. My two-year-old phone fits exactly twice as many pixels on its screen. We’ve come a long way.

But that Amazon screenshot reminded me of a story I came across last week, of the man who ordered the very first thing ever sold by Amazon, and he still has the packing slip. That got me to wonder when & what my first Amazon order was, and of course it was still in my order history.

My Old Amazon

Two Elmore Leonard books and a Star Wars toy to give as a Christmas gift.

Not much has changed since December 8, 1999 — except for most everything.

December 4, 1998, a bit over $100 of woodworking books. But I have to wonder if there was something earlier on a different account that didn't get connected to my current one.

Then for a couple years, I ordered a lot of music, and then nothing until 2008. The economy might have been booming in those years, but not for me.

(BTW, in January I picked up a meat slicer that I can really recommend if you're going to keep making jerky.)
Heh. Dec 10, 1999. The Matrix DVD, the Volare Gipsy Kings Box set and the Alan Lee illustrated edition of The Hobbit.
Hey. 640x480 was great for the time. I remember how excited I was when EGA (640x350) came out. 'Twas the first "graphics" mode which produced decent text for the Wintel world.

But in '95 a fair number of us were running SVGA at 800x600 thank you. :)

Didn't use Amazon until 2005; "In Pursuit of Honor," a pleasant Don Johnson HBO movie.

It is, by the way, a great place to find second-hand harcover books at a good price. Got three of William Shirer's works that way.
Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines on DVD and a nose hair trimmer on December 9, 2003.

...Um, none of that for me, of course...
I was almost a year later, ordering an Oxford Latin Dictionary for my husband as a Christmas gift.
I got one of the cups they gave to their first customers somewhere. I think it was in 99.
By the way--love your tabs in Safari. Almost every single one of those gets a regular visit from me.
"and a Star Wars toy to give as a Christmas gift."

Uh-huh. And were the initials of said recipient "VP"?