VodkaPundit

Here’s Your Pitiful Bribe

July 18th, 2013 - 1:20 pm

Here comes the White House pushback on ObamaCare:

Obama went into campaign mode as he underscored benefits already flowing to an estimated 8.5 million Americans who on average have begun to receive $100 rebates from health insurers as a result of Obamacare, officially called the Affordable Care Act.

Those checks result from a rule requiring insurers to spend at least 80 percent of premiums on medical care, not administrative expenses. If they don’t, rebates go to consumers.

The President unveiled the details of the rebates in a campaign-like appearance at the White House that had him introduced by Morgan Theriot, a self-employed woman from Silver Spring, Md., who got a $267 check. She was accompanied by her son and daughter.

Lovely. The Democrats upended the entire medical system, turned the insurance companies into wards of the state, chased doctors out of practiced, is herding the rest into conglomerates, made paperwork worse for everybody, and crippled small business, just for the opportunity to have a photo-op with a woman getting a three-figure rebate check.

That’s ObamaCare at work.

"President Obama fought back rising criticism of his sweeping Obamacare health care reform with a defiantly simple message Thursday: the check is in the mail."

Well, I'm reassured.
"The check is in the mail." rates up there with other commonly-told big lies like "This won't hurt a bit," and "I'll still respect you in the morning."
I received a letter last year about these rebates. It seems my insurance company came in somewhere between 79% and 80%...and the resulting rebate when divided among the huge number of employees involved would be about twenty dollars each The letter went on to say that the employer (or perhaps the insurance company; I've forgotten) has the option of issuing the rebate or instead retaining it for health education programs. So I was informed that my 20 bucks would be used for programs like diabetes awareness, etc.

Now, I really don't care about the 20 bucks. And I'm all for diabetes awareness. But what struck me was the number of man-hours and the expense that had to be involved to calculate and verify the 79%, compute the rebate, draft and mail thousands of letters to let employees in on the situation, and then set up these health education programs - none of which would have been necessary if not for the Affordable Care Act. Ludicrous.
I remember when Michelle dissed a $600 (Bush) tax rebate as good for nothing but a pair of earrings.

Anyway, we'll see how things go in October.
So Michelle and Bush's tax rebate have a lot in common.
Or 15 seconds of her next vacation...