VodkaPundit

Get Off That Ledge!

June 26th, 2013 - 12:46 pm

Sarah Hoyt, who grew up during Portugal’s big troubles in the ’70, on “how to learn to stop worrying and shrug off amnesty.” I like this bit:

I will concede that the amnesty bill passing, (and our betters DO seem to be determined to shove it down our throats) will hasten a collapse but it says nothing on what will come after. And the collapse I’ve known is coming for at least two years, the only question being now or later, hard or soft landing. Passing the amnesty will prejudice it towards near term and hard landing. Is that worse than long term and soft? I don’t know. My friend Bill Reader thinks it would be best short term and hard – that the disruption will be shorter and what’s coming better – but I’m a wussy. On the other hand, his arguments have long sounded convincing to me. I just prefer long and soft because I’ve experienced it before and know coping strategies.

I’ve always jumped in with both feet and pulled off the band-aid in one big motion, so I lean more towards a short and hard landing. I think — think — that in America’s case, it’s more likely to lead to a Renaissance than the long and soft landing.

The problem as I see it is that the kinds of hard could be mostly singular, say a currency collapse or a major terrorist strike with a WMD or an armed conflict between the domestic left and right, or a combination. A short hard could leave long hard effects. One domino falling could trip multiple lines of dominoes.

I'm not so sanguine on the "let it burn" strategy.

The American Revolution and the U.S. Constitution were the products of the English Civil War, the Glorious Revolution, and the Scottish Enlightenment. The Founders, and even the local doctors, lawyers, and clergy in any given hamlet were steeped in the intellectual environment that resulted.

What great philosophical endeavors have prepared *us* to form "a more perfect union"? The Sixties? Teh Intarwebs?

I suspect, rather, that we're more at the King Charles stage of things, with a long interregnum to go before anything good happens. The harder we crash, the more likely it is that it will be bloody.
Where's the gang promoting tightening the border and easing the restrictions on legal immigration?
Sadly, there is going to be a lot of damage done either way. And the problem with either is that in the meantime important institutions are being razed.
Depends on the time frame. If the short and hard happens before 2020, then yes. I'll still be "young" enough to deal w/ it. If the US can keep treading water till after then, I prefer the long/soft option. That won't mess w/ my old age too much

But,hell, if I was still in my 30s even, I'd be so looking forward to our Mad Max future. Since I'm in my mid 40s, a lot less so.
Fast or slow is irrelevant; hard is the only way. Americans are a cussed lot and only learn to avoid the flame after 3rd degree burns - and then, only for a little while before the "bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the fire."