The PJ Tatler

Nathan D. Lichtman

July 2, 2014 - 4:35 pm

So the argument goes: birth control is a women’s issue. It’s a woman’s body, a woman’s right to choose, a woman’s health concerns. The Jezebel bloggers even go so far as to point out that the recent Hobby Lobby decision was cast by all men, and that all the female Supremes dissented.

Men are asked not to have an opinion because, after all, this issue is only for women.

These men are Supreme Court justices! They have a right to comment on anything pertaining to the Constitution; they have an obligation to hear cases and to rule according to our nation’s principles. It is absurd to assume that only women’s votes should have counted on this matter.

I’m going to exercise my passive-aggressive sarcasm muscle for a moment. So here’s a list of other things people shouldn’t comment on, because they are not part of the group it affects:

1)     Anyone not currently in school should not be commenting on education standards. So much for the PTA., so much for teacher meetings, and who cares what the Department of Education thinks. Really, parents: please stop asking your kids if they’ve completed their homework.

2)     If you do not live in the Antarctic region, please stop commenting on the trouble penguins are experiencing during climate change. In fact, maybe people shouldn’t be commenting on penguins’ hardships at all—leave that to the birds.

3)     White people should not teach black history. They should not listen to jazz, hip-hop, or rock-n-roll. They’re prohibited from eating soul food.

4)     Bald people should not judge others based on their hairstyle.  In fact, preferably, they should not even be allowed into the shampoo aisle at the store.

5)     People who don’t make movies, who don’t direct, act, write, or produce, should refrain from making judgments as to the quality of movies. You should be expected to pay for the newest Michael Bay flick, without rating it. Enjoy all content equally.

If women don't want me to comment on birth control, they should stop asking me to pay for it.
If it was men that had the babies, then abortion would be -

- a capital crime.
So if I'm a white, bald, non-white-collar professional, non-fry chef from Antarctica, who doesn't make movies and walks everywhere, I am basically screwed.

I hate it when that happens.
There are no free contraceptive drugs. The mandate means that every employee, male or female, ends up paying the tab for others who choose to use these drugs.
OJ? The EVIDENCE did not support a guilty verdict. Watch the trial and ignore the hype. If the judge said ignore faulty evidence, (blood contaminated with anti-coagulant) then the rest is circumstantial and weak.
Yeah ... OK.
Actually, yeah.

Put yourself in this position:

You are on a jury. There's a lot of hype and a lot of noise. Amidst all of this, there are a few indisputable facts. These are some things you KNOW, beyond any possible doubt:

1. A critical blood sample was missing - unaccounted for - for TWO WEEKS. It was finally "found" in the suit coat pocket of one of the detectives.
2. A blood sample taken from the crime scene matches the defendant's blood, but it also has a preservative in it. The same preservative that was used in the missing blood sample. It's a naturally occurring chemical inhuman blood, but it was found at 1,000 times the concentration of normal human blood.
3. The lead detective had a long history of animus against the defendant.

So, faced with the near-certainty that at least some of the evidence was planted, do you convict?

I don't see how any honest person could.

Is OJ guilty? Probably, but given the circus of a trial, and the tainted evidence, don't assume that the jury did the wrong thing. Yes, at least one of them, and probably a few of them, would not have convicted no matter what, based on race, but that's not true of all of them.

Remember, the verdict was UNANIMOUS.

I have never in my life blindfolded myself and walked across the freeway backwards.
I still think it's a bad idea.
It was a loud bell sounding off for me and bugged me to death all during the time Congress was having hearings and testimony from religious groups during Obamacare and Fluke had her 15 minutes of lies.

"...until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes..." or on their blades.
...or as I've always heard it, "Don't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, if they don't like what you have to say about them, they're barefoot and a mile away."
Likewise, then, those who do not pay income taxes should have no say in how those taxes get spent....
I've been told that I have no right to an opinion on abortion. OK, then. A politician's stand on abortion is now completely irrelevant to me. I instead pay attention to his or her stand on Obamacare, immigration, Benghazi, free speech, campaign finance reform, environmental regulations, and a dozen other issues. This works out just fine for me.
Well, back to the original meme, that only women can decide women's health care issues, then let's simply take that logic to its natural conclusion:

Since only women have babies, then men shouldn't be forced to pay to support or take responsibilities those babies and their raising, and the women who make them.

Since only women care about birth control, then all men should be exempted from all health care laws and rules that have any impact whatsoever on birth control .. such as ObamaCare. And of course, then all men should be exempted from paying any fees or taxes or penalties that have anything to do with women's health care.

Since women consume most of the health care in America, they should be made to pay for most health care in America.

And so on and so on. Sauce for the goose and sauce for the gander and all that.
That's all well and good, but of course we know that the geese are a protected class.

All things being equal...they're not equal.
Yup - women expect to be more equal than men these days.
"That doesn’t mean that I don’t wish more people had access to birth control"..

Access???!!!

I call big BS on "access"....

Unless you are falling into "their" conversation???

Phooey!!! :)