The PJ Tatler

David Steinberg

June 23, 2014 - 6:25 pm

Moments ago, ABC News published their coverage of today’s White House Summit on Working Families. During the event Michelle Obama used a racial slur. This slipped past the writer and editors at ABC, who made no reference to her usage of the word:

[F]irst lady Michelle Obama admitted to a few of her own struggles as a working mother while making the case for flexible workplace policies for families.

“The first thing I tried to do, which was a mistake, was that I tried the part-time thing … I realized I was getting gypped on that front,” she told ABC’s Robin Roberts at the event, which aimed to bring attention to strengthening the nation’s workforce by addressing various workplace difficulties. “What happened was I got a part-time salary but worked full time.”

Of course, the term “gypped” is a slur referencing the supposed criminal behavior of Romani, or “gypsies,” though it is often still used colloquially by people who are unaware of the term’s history and connotation. For comparison, imagine Michelle had claimed she was getting “Jewed down,” or had referred to an “Indian giver.” “Gypped” bears the same strand of malevolent history and intention, though the term is still more commonplace.

Considering Michelle Obama implored Americans to ban the term “bossy,” and to the myriad non-liberals who didn’t get a pass for their respective “binders full of women,” or who were pilloried for hunting in the vicinity of a racist rock, she has dug her own hole here, and deserves what she metes out.

UPDATE: ABCNews published at least two articles on the racist rock that had absolutely nothing to do with Rick Perry. Their radar is much less sensitive when the content is Michelle Obama’s actual words.

David Steinberg is the New York City Editor of PJ Media. Follow his tweets at @DavidSPJM.
I think this shows that Political Correctness is all political, with nothing correct about it.
But it is a horrible, horrible racist word - according to the Regressive Political Correctness Police.

When fighting Alinskyites, we must use the Alinsky rule book, not the Marquess of Queensberry rule book. David is using his time constructively - quite constructively.
In her defense, do you think Michelle is smart enough to realize what she said?
I think that the Moose's use of "gypped" is just an example of her innate niggardliness.
I take it there are a few here who didn't read this article with tongue firmly planted in cheek...either that or I'm just another enabler...
I didn't know gypsies were even around anymore!
I didn't know that Gypsies were now a protected minority.
Since the first use of the term is said to date to the turn of the last century, and that would correlate with Gordon of Khartoum and British involvement in Egypt at that time, some speculate it's from "gippos." Even more confusing is that "Gypsy" is itself said to come from "Egyptian." I myself usually use the gendered sexist misogynist insult "scrood."
Assignment: Use "gypped" in a sentence.

"Throughout their miserable White House tenure, Barack and Michelle Obama gypped the United States of America out of its intelligence, integrity and industry and, oh yeah, a whole bunch of cash."
Gypsies aren't a race, so "gypped" can't be a racial slur.

Anyway, I won't be dropping the word from my vocabulary.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."

Some breaking news:

"Washington Redskins drop the word "Washington" from their name because it is embarrassing."
Actually, using "race" as we do nowadays, the Romani are a race; Hitler slaughtered more than 200,000 of them. They came from India over 1,000 years ago, and Hindu culture is still part of their lives to some extent.
For anyone who has ever experienced actual Roma ("Gypsies"), the term "gypped" is highly earned. Whether they are a "race" or not, the lifestyle of the Roma in both Europe and America is based upon a business model of thievery and separating others from their money in ways that are mostly dishonest. If that is stereotyping, then it is no worse than lumping all mafiosi together and calling them criminals. I'm sure there are probably one or two nice guy mafia dudes somewhere in the world, but the exception only proves the rule.
"Gypped" is racist?...that's news to me. I frankly didn't even know the proper spelling of this word, since I thought it was just grade school slang, which is approximately the last time I used it. Once I came to the realization that life is not always fair...I stopped whining about being "gypped".
I'm 66 years old and in all those years I never used the term 'gypped' as a racial slur and in fact didn't know it was one. Who is the SOB that decided for us that this word gypped is now a racial slur?

I'm certainly no fan of Michelle Obama but I think we have much more to worry about in our country than whether she used a racial slur and meant it.

Why not use your time more constructively David?

I'm with Paleo - when conservatives act like Alinskyites, they discredit themselves just as do the lefties who use those tactics. If conservatism was only about winning political foodfights, I would not care to be a conservative at all. Like most Americans, I just want government that does its job well, according to the limits inscribed in the Constitution. Partisanship and political gamesmanship are needed to some degree to win elections, but continual sniping only turns off the voters.

Sternberg writes as a political hack - I don't care for his posts at all.
The situation is the same over here. There are some, to me very innocent words, that are all of a sudden slammed as "racist" according to our Regressive Political Correctness Police. Some old names of chocolate cookies ( you can guess) , icecreams and so on. The members of this Police are often boring and devoid of humour and very anxious of doing "right". Therefor I like it when that tactic is used against the very people who use PC as a political weapon. So, well said and well done David.
"The members of this Police are often...devoid of humour..."
Apparently, so are some of the commenters here.
1 2 Next View All