The PJ Tatler

Scott Ott

June 21, 2014 - 5:48 am

Completing another lap in its race to irrelevance, the Presbyterian Church USA (one of dozens of Presbyterian denominations in the U.S.) has voted to divest itself from three corporations it perceives as helpful to the Israeli “occupation” of Palestinian lands.

Mind you, this vote merely broadcasts the church’s yearning for peace. The measure, approved by a narrow margin (310-303), also called for interfaith dialogue, a two-state solution and positive investment alternatives for the $21 million which the church had invested in Caterpillar, Motorola Solutions and Hewlett-Packard.

The divestment resolution, fabricated by a 65-member committee, also reaffirmed Israel’s right to exist — which is simply going too far, in the eyes of the Palestinians with whom the church empathizes.

Jesus, whom these Presbyterians profess to follow, invested much of his preaching against hypocrites in the organized religion of His day. This action by His purported disciples would have the Master declaiming, “You brood of vipers. You whitewashed tombs” — and perhaps, “You’ve got HOW MUCH MONEY invested in just three companies!?”

Heath Rada, the church’s moderator, who was leading the proceedings, said immediately after the electronic vote count was posted, “In no way is this a reflection of our lack of love for our Jewish sisters and brothers.”

No, I suppose their lack of love for the Jews is expressed in other, more substantive, ways than this symbolic portfolio shuffling. The only thing missing from Mr. Rada’s statement is the obligatory “Some of our best friends are Jews.”

Mr. Rada, the church’s moderator, said at a news conference after the vote, “I don’t believe you could talk to a single commissioner and have any of them say they were doing this as an anti-Jewish issue.

Certainly not. No commissioner would say that…even if she felt it, she wouldn’t say it.

The leader of the Presbyterian Church USA then moves from insincerity and hypocrisy to moral equivalency.

“I think there is a lot of emotion about the unjust treatment on the part of the Israeli government toward the Palestinians, but there is equal upset,” he said, about “terrorist activity that has been undertaken by the Palestinians.”

“Equal upset”?

Mr. Rada, would you prefer that I move into your neighborhood and build houses — all the while employing your family members at wages three times what your own people would pay? Or would you prefer that I send my teenage son strapped with a bomb to do the chicken dance at your daughter’s wedding reception?

There is “a lot of emotion” but not a lot of wisdom among your convention delegates — or rather, among the slightly more than half who voted for this pathetic, posturing, pandering resolution.

Scott Ott co-hosts a news, commentary and humor show called Trifecta on PJTV. He created and hosted the 20-part series on the Constitution titled Freedom's Charter. His satire site, ScrappleFace, spawned three books and praise from Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and many others.

I wonder what would happen if two women who worked for Caterpillar wanted to marry in a PCUSA church? Would they be required to divest of their jobs first?
There is no Earthly explanation for such obtuse stupidity, either they are under the influence of Satan, or they are simply anti-semitic. Or, of course, both.
Social justice Pope. Gay marriage everything else, along with this. I'll just read my Bible by myself.
I almost went to a local Presbyterian Church this past Sunday to yell at the parishioners. They must be aware of what their representatives are doing.
I doubt, though, that it would have done much good..I live in MA(bastion of "liberalism".)
I planned to bring pictures of the Fogel family, five of whom were slaughtered by their Arab friendly neighbors. Perhaps seeing the decapitated head of a 3 month old infant would be enough to stir their hearts that Motorola security devices are essential to provide safety for innocent civilians.
These people are like the British in WWII which aided the Nazis in the slaughter of the Jews by closing off ALL places for Jews to escape to…and I'm not just talking about Palestine here.
Their action is thoroughly disgusting.
Just call yourselves Unitarians and be done with it.
BDS: THE ORWELLIAN CAMPAIGN TO DESTROY ISRAEL.

John Batchelor has a very good interview with Jed Babbin, who's just written a book about BDS. If you don't know the John Batchelor Show on WABC radio, you should.
Just copy and paste the address below into the address bar at the top of your page. This will give you a progress bar. Move your cursor to the middle of the progress bar and start at 19:25. The BDS segment begins there.

When liberals invade a church, they come to ruin it. Either they take over and it becomes another organ for the liberal propaganda machine, or they cause a church split and ruin what once was a safe haven for the Lord's sheep.

Win-win.
To disaffected Presbyterians: visit your local Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) or Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC). Not all Presbyterians have abandoned the faith for the social justice bandwagon.
So while Christians are fleeing for their lives in every Arab land and their churches are being burned, The Presbyterian Church USA attacks Israel, the only country in the region where Christians can live and worship freely.

What a combination of stupidity and anti-Semitism.
I haven't told the associate pastor of my Methodist church yet, but her political correctness is the reason I haven't attended services in a year. She preached a sermon on "Native Americans". That's bogus PC-speak. American Indians are not native, they are descendants of immigrants whether you subscribe to the evolutionary origin of humanity or the Biblical one. It makes even less sense to refer to the rest of us as immigrants, since most of us are native Americans. I can't possibly be native to a country where I wasn't born and which classifies me as a foreigner. To refer to American Indians as Native Americans replaces an historical misnomer with a politically correct misnomer, while deprecating my American heritage. I won't listen to any pastor who talks such nonsense, but if I told her that she would merely accuse me of racism.
Wear it as a badge of honor.
Time was -- when I was growing up -- that Presbyterians were rock-hard Calvinists. What happened?
The minister of the Presbyterian church I used to attend once explained to me that PCUSA recruited its clergy from seminaries while the evangelical churches tended to train their clergy directly in the parish. The result, he said, is that the PCUSA was staffing its churches with theologians while the staff of the evangelical ministers were better trained in parish service. The politically correct clergy of the PCUSA are simply applying what their colleges taught them and their Doctor of Divinity programs stamped into their heads. Meanwhile, dissatisfied parishioners are taking their souls elsewhere.
The Presbyterians are losing members in droves, and now they believe doubling down on PC nonsense is smart church policy? That further demonstrates my assertion that Leftism is a virulent ideology that trumps all, including race, nationality, and religion.
These Nazis should lose their tax exempt status.
You're absolutely right. Churches aren't supposed to be involved in politics. Of course, this didn't seem to bother Rev. Wright's 'church', either.
1 2 3 Next View All