The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

May 6, 2014 - 1:26 pm

A survey conducted by Indiana University professors Lars Willnat and David H. Weaver reveals that just 7% of journalists identify as Republican. This represents a substantial drop from the survey taken a decade ago, when almost 19% of journalists admitted affiliation to the GOP.

This is the fifth such survey conducted since 1971.

More than 28% say they’re Democrats compared to nearly 36% ten years ago. The number of “other” political affiliations among journalists grew from 11% a decade ago to 14.6% today.

1-5

The number of journalists identifying as independent is at 50.2 percent, the highest percentage since the survey began, and the number identifying as Democrat dropped to 28.1 percent. Of those polled, 14.6 percent identified as “other.” That means nearly 65 percent of journalists polled don’t identify with either of the major parties.

The Washington Post’s Chris Cillizza notes two caveats to those numbers: The first, is that the study is among all reporters, not just political reporters whose party identification may be a lot different. Second, “the movement toward independent status among reporters is in keeping with a similar move in the broader electorate as they find the two parties increasingly rigid and, therefore, less welcoming.”

Some other interesting tidbits from the survey: Nearly 60 percent of those surveyed think journalism in the U.S. is heading in the wrong direction; job satisfaction has dropped from a quick peak in 2002 to just 23.3 percent of journalists saying they are “very satisfied” in their jobs; and only 12.1 percent find reaching the widest audience possible “extremely important.”

Meanwhile, the number of journalists who consider their role to be “investigating government claims” is at its highest yet, with 78.2 percent finding that aspect of their jobs “extremely important.”

The study was conducted via online interviews with 1,080 reporters between August and December 2013.

That 7% number is probably inflated by economic and business reporters who may not be quite as liberal as news and political journalists.

I would also imagine that there are at least a few of those reporters identifying as “independents” who would rather keep the fact that they vote Republican to themselves. A much larger number of self-described independents are liberals trying to hide their bias.

Perhaps the most fascinating number on the graph is the 14.6% who identify as belonging to “other” political parties. Greens? Commies? Constitution Party? Probably a few Libertarian Party adherents in there too.

You could demand that media outlets hire more conservatives, but it wouldn’t do much good, as I’ll explain on the next page.

The "independent" number is nonsense...Dan Rather would call himself an "independent". It's just journalists trying to sound impartial...but they ain't.
"Conservatives don’t enter journalism as a career. They’re too busy making money, creating wealth, building companies, and raising families to be bothered.

Liberals see journalism as a calling — sort of like the priesthood. This has been true since the end of World War II and it’s only gotten more pronounced in the intervening decades. They all want to be Woodward and Bernstein — bringing down a Republican president, or exposing Republican “hypocrisy.”

It isn’t just “bias” that afflicts the media. It is a nauseating streak of self-righteousness that denies basic fairness in favor of serving the higher goal of “social justice.”"

Well done, Rick. The above is the whole darned thing in a nutshell. No small wonder it's not about to change.
Because the Republicans are NOT Constitutionalist, or Libertarian...........or any of the "freedoms" they say they are for...

They are totally RETARDED.. ;-)
"We’ll add another – the parties of today are much different than those in the 1970s. Additionally, with everyone’s information readily available through a quick online search, it’s no surprise journalists would be more willing to stay in the “independent” lane rather than risk being called bias based on their political affiliation."

The Republican Party has robust, vibrant...sometimes nose bloodied internal debates about the best way to handle issues of the day.

The criminal enterprise known as today's Democratic Party, other than just how badly we should screw over Israel...doesn't internally debate anything. They pretend to know all and then enforce the Clown Mafia edicts on everyone.

They all sing from (and boo God from), the same hymnal.

I also don't believe conservatives are "too busy making money" to go into journalism.

Just like I don't think a fawn is too busy to go into a lion's den. Atkinson and Logan can tell you why anyone trying to do objective stories won't go into the propaganda machine. You can't DO the stories without being shunned, shut out and attacked.

Nobody with a lick of sense or a modicum of honor would prostitute themselves out just for a job as the mouthpiece for leftism.

They don't go into "journalism" because it no longer exists at the big houses.
Something really weird is going on! At a time when socialism has been discredited and defeated in the east because it just doesn't work everywhere it has been tried, and people are claiming to want freedom and toleration for different ideas both religious and secular, at this very moment, leftist ideas are triumphing, insane rules are proliferating, toleration is vanishing and freedom of ideas is being destroyed in the very places it should it be exalted, the media and the Universities. One would think that extremely smart people would have to be behind this. But, the Universities and schools seem to be run by cowardly, closed minded educated twits(eg. Brandies University but etc. etc.). The leftist politicians don't seem capable of running a lemonade stand (Obama etc. has never run anything), the media seem incapable of recognizing the truth when its banging them over the head. Its impossible to think of these people co-ordinating the incredible number of insane yet effective entities that seem to be running the whole earth (e.g. UN, EU, almost all governments, student unions, Unions, school boards, even some Churches, etc. etc,). By effective I mean having an effect, not necessarily the one they claim to want.
The only explanation I can think of is that a malign power, of much greater intelligence than these people and with access to more resources, has been released on the world and we are now required to choose sides.
"They all want to be Woodward and Bernstein — bringing down a Republican president"

Bringing down a President should be like winning the Super Bowl. But what the press does with Obama is like an NFL player who throws the game when playing against his hometown team.
A leftist: "I'm independent because I watch CNN and listen to PBS"

I saw this article earlier at Hot Air.

I also saw an article at Hot Air that Inspector Generals are complaining that the EPA is obstructing their investigations. An OBAMA shadow group is impeding investigations.

The propaganda machine that conspires to feed corruption and lawlessness CREATED the beast that now devours our protections from a runaway abuse of power.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Absolute power conspired with a corrupt information stream devours freedom absolutely.
If I didn't live in a closed primary state, I'd probably be an independent.
Anyone else believe slightly over 50% of them are "independent?" Me, neither. Just sounds like the correct response on a poll.

"Me? I'm independent, it just so happens I hate republicans and love Obama. Sheer coicidence. Because I'm independent.
What do you want to bet that after Obama leaves office, more of them will be honest in the polls.
Exactly. They probably think as follows: "Could I ever imagine being against anything a Democrat ever did? Well, it's EXTREMELY unlikely it could happen in my lifetime but, on the theory that it COULD happen, I suppose I can't say that I'm absolutely committed to the Democrats, no matter what so I can't say Democrat. And the Rethuglicans aren't even a remote possibility. Okay, in that case, I suppose I'll have to say I'm independent. I was going to say Other, to represent my true leaning of Marxist, but people would be scared if they knew that most of us journalists were Far Left so I'd better do my bit to soft-peddle it and just say I'm Independent...."