The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

March 24, 2014 - 10:54 am

Militant atheists — this is why people dislike you.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker believes he can do all things through Christ, but an atheist group charges that he cannot do all things through Christ on his official social media platforms.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has demanded Walker remove posts from his official Facebook and Twitter feeds that read, “Philippians 4:13.”

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” the verse reads.

“This braggadocio verse coming from a public official is rather disturbing,” FFRF co-presidents Annie Laurie Gaylor and Dan Baker wrote in a letter to the governor. “To say, ‘I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me,’ seems more like a threat, or the utterance of a theocratic dictator, than a duly elected civil servant.”

Every part of that reaction is intolerant, ridiculous and wrong. Philippians 4:13 is not bragging in any way — the opposite, in fact. The verse in question actually notes a Christian’s dependence on God, “who strengthens me.” It is in no way a threat, never has been and never will be. It is in no way a lead-in to “theocratic dictatorship.”

The “Freedom From Religion” folks should just free themselves from social media, since they can’t seem to handle reading things on it that they don’t like.

But perhaps some good can come of this. Walker isn’t deleting his tweet, and may some people will be motivated to look it up and read it in context.

Maybe, just maybe, your "Political Atheist" friends should actually READ The First Amendment for a change.

1) "Congress shall pass no law..." which means (wait for it!) a Law. A piece of legislation.... in other words, an actual bill passed by the houses stating "THIS" is the Official Religion of the Nation....

Sorry, but tweets, speeches, bible study, book reports, t-shirts and crosses all on "puplic" property or (gasp!) in a classroom, are not "the same thing" as a piece of legislation passing both houses of Congress.....

And all those "establishment clause violations" Atheists and their enablers pretend to cry over are nothing but duplicitous political nonsense, perpetrated with Malice Aforethought, by Liars. BECAUSE IT CLEARLY VIOLATES PART TWO of The First Amendment which says :

2) "...or prevent the free exercise thereof..."

As long as Congress passed no law saying MINE is the religion of the land, my kids Valedictorian speech, or my donation plaque to the school, or my Fathers Cross in the Veteran’s Cemetery are clearly part of my “free exercise” . No perpetual lawsuits from Atheists are required, unless youre being wilfully dishonest.

If Atheists find God offensive, that’s their problem, not The Courts..... I find certain things I disagree with to be highly offensive, every single day….and I EXPECT to, living in a free country, I don’t turn to The Government to suppress them with the force of ‘law”, twisted and perverted to the point it’s the exact OPPOSITE of what the Constitution actually says.

I dont care what Atheists believe (or dont) believe...All I care is they willing to lie about their political intentions, and conspire to achieve them in an underhanded and dishonest way, because the could not convince people otherwise, without the open and conscious use of LIES.

Which, BTW is why I will never TRUST someone who self-describes as Atheist…or Muslim, or Democrat (Communist, Socialist and Anachist are mere subsets of the Left side of that party and need no individual mention)

All of them have quite a bit of “trouble” with the plain simple truth.

All of them need their lies confronted
It may be a rhetorical question but I actually have an answer for you. People who find Christianity threatening are generally those who have a sixth-grade textbook understanding of history and don't realize that modern Christians bear no resemblence to Spanish Inquisitors or New England witch burners. The idea remains fixed in their head in much the same way that residents of New York City think that lynchings are still a regular Friday night thing in Mississippi.

It's sad and ironic because their chief complaint about religion is that it rejects evidence in favor of faith, the exact thing their reliance on stereotyping does.
I'm an atheist. I like facts, I like evidence, I like things that can be proved via the scientific method. Hence my rejection of faith.

Here are a couple of provable, evidence-based facts I wish my fellow atheists would get their heads around:

1) The overwhelming majority of human beings believe in some kind of supernatural deity. You're not going to talk any significant number of them out of that and it's foolish to try.
2) The overwhelming majority of Americans believe (or at least claim to believe) in Jesus. As with #1 You're not going to talk any significant number of them out of that and it's foolish to try.
3) Fact #2 has somehow not resulted in a theocracy, or anything resembling one.
4) Our rights are indeed under assault, but it ain't by Christians.

So please, fellow atheists, stop shouting "theocracy" every time someone in public life mentions God or a Bible. You're not helping. When someone actually proposes a law that infringes on our right not to believe I promise I'll join you in resisting to my last breath and last bullet. But until then I'd advise you give the "live and let live" approach a try. You'll be a lot happier.
Oh noes, the Atheist Police again
Rebels Without a Cause - Nihilists
So, it's okay if we equate Westboro church to the rest of Christianity?

Thanks for showing that one side is just as stupid as a few of the other side.
Not much on reading comprehension, are you?
Having spent years in various churches, I never knew that this verse described braggadocio, or a threat, or an utterance from a theocratic dictator. I find the notion hysterically funny. I always thought the author was in prison awaiting trial before Caesar and hardly in the position to brag or threaten as he was waiting to be judged by the dictator Nero—who did have him beheaded.
Atheists should be stopped from forcing their fanatical beliefs on everyone else.
Christians should also be stopped from forcing their irrational, superstitious beliefs on everyone else as they did for 1400 years.
How about this?
Everyone leaves other people's beliefs alone in an attitude of mutual respect.
Everyone makes beliefs available politely, but that's all.
Grow. Up.
With the progressive elite, it's all projection, all the time.
I interpret Scott Walker's tweet as evidence of political courage. The people who understand the tweet are already likely to vote for him without it. It's basically a statement of faith and humility, but many non-religious potential voters in Wisconsin will probably have a negative reaction to it.
When a Ground Zero mosque is built, do atheists open their yaps? Why is it atheists NEVER confront muslims? Do atheists wear brown pants when confronting islam or are the pants a different color to start with?
I respect your nonbelief but I wonder where you get the certainly of it from. Agnosticism sure, acknowledge that you don't know for sure, I myself must admit to being an agnostic, but where do you get the 100% certainly that there is nothing else out there?
Where do you get your certainty that there IS anything out there?

Religion = massive logical fallacies and contradictions. Hence we get 90% overlap with the superstition of the Islamics and the Christians...just in somewhat different, but totalitarian directions.

Organized, revelatory religions tend to have some contradictory material in their holy writ. I'm reading Jeremiah right now, which means I just finished Isaiah, and sometimes a chapter will whipsaw between God's wrath and destruction of Israel and His salvation of Israel. Makes me dizzy.
A belief in God can be founded in faith and logic both, though, so religion is not inherently illogical or contradictory.
The wrath was for the near term. The salvation was for the long term. It was a warning to repent immediately, as well as hope for the future.
You are not scoring points on the big "logical and scientific" scoreboard.

Well, my (religiously-raised) young adult kids get it from their desire to live a life free of anyone, even their Creator, telling them they can't do whatever they want. I sigh about it a lot.
Young adults grow up.
Thank you for the kind wishes. From your keyboard to His eyes...!
An alternative to I can do all things thru my pen which strengthens me.
1 2 3 Next View All