The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

March 23, 2014 - 1:02 pm

Former President Jimmy Carter said President Obama is “unfortunately” not calling him for advice, even though “previous presidents have call on me and the Carter Center to take action.”

When asked on Meet the Press this morning why Obama doesn’t come asking for his wisdom, Carter replied “that’s a hard question for me to answer, you know, with complete candor.”

“I think the problem was that in dealing with the issue of peace in between Israel and Egypt, the Carter Center has taken a very strong and public position of equal treatment between the Palestinians and Israelis. And I think this was a sensitive area in which the president didn’t want to be involved,” he said.

“When he first came out with his speech in Cairo calling for the end of all settlements and when he later said that the ’67 borders would prevail he and I were looking at it from the same perspective. But I can understand those sensitivities and I don’t have any criticism of him.”

Carter also said he felt that he was personally being snooped on by the NSA or other intelligence agencies.

A program such as the NSA’s collection of metadata “has been extremely liberalized and I think abused by our own intelligence agencies.”

“As a matter of fact, you know, I have felt that my own communications were probably monitored. And when I want to communicate with a foreign leader privately, I type or write the letter myself, put it in the post office and mail it,” Carter said. “…Because I believe if I sent an e-mail, it will be monitored.”

On Russia, the former president said “there has to be a concerted international prohibition against Putin going any further than Crimea.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Send Jimmy to Moscow to deal with Putin. Tell Putin we'll take Jimmy back if he promises to leave the Ukraine alone.
At this point, I don't think that there is an way that Obama could fail to surpass Carter in the "Worst President Ever" rankings.

I sincerely believe that this is the primary thing that makes Carter happy about Obama; Carter had a firm lock on the "Worst Ever" title, until Bam snatched it away from him. But then, Carter was an idiot who loved his country. Obama may be an idiot, but he definitely DOES NOT love America. There's a difference between "failing" and "succeeding in destroying".
He doesn't trust the government not to monitor his communications, so he writes a letter and hands it over to the government for delivery. Obviously they wouldn't open an envelope, that's just not sporting. No gentleman would do such a thing.
Obama is a royal POS, but he's not stupid.
Since Obama outdid Carter in dismantling the Constitution and destroying the USA from within he didn't feel the need to contact his mentor predecessor
Jimmy, just say "Goddamn America!" over and over and over again, and I'm sure Obamadamn will finally be willing to listen to your stupid advice.
When Jimmy Carter is the smartest guy in the room you know you've got serious problems.

Remember? We said in 2008 that the best we could hope for was a term for Obama that was no worse than Carter's. Forget that pipe dream.
When you are The One you've been waiting for there is no need to turn to anyone else for guidance. For Obama to be seen as seeking counsel would be demeaning for him.

That Carter is not involved is, oddly, a backhanded win-win - for Barry's ego and the country.
Jimmeh owned/operated a peanut farm, so he actually created a business...far more than Obama ever "created".
This is the exception to the rule that two heads are better than one. They could not agree on which mistake to make.
And stay the hell off his lawn, too.
"Former President Jimmy Carter said President Obama is “unfortunately” not calling him for advice...."

"Unfortunately"?????

We should be counting our blessings!
Seeing (pardon the pun) Carter help Obama with foreign relations is like the blind leading the blind. Carter is an old fool - when he was young he was a young fool. I had hoped someone would break the mold - but no such luck - we now have another fool of a president!

1 2 3 Next View All

One Trackback to “Carter: ‘Unfortunately’ Obama Doesn’t Come Asking for Guidance”