The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

February 26, 2014 - 4:54 pm

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) announced this evening that she will veto Senate Bill 1062. The two-page bill was passed by the legislature, as a measure intended to protect Christian business owners from lawsuits if they decline to provide services to gay couples due to religious objections.

In her statement, Gov. Brewer said that she was vetoing the bill because no one had brought any Arizona-based cases of discrimination against religious business owners to her. The bill was sparked by cases in which Christian business owners refused to provide services to gay couples in relation to marriage, citing their religious objections. Those cases are taking place in New Mexico, Oregon and Iowa.

Massive pressure had been put on Brewer to veto the bill, from former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney to the NFL, which hinted that it might to move next year’s Super Bowl from Arizona if Brewer signed the bill.

Yes. In fact, I thought until all this kerfuffle that any small business had the right to refuse to serve anyone for any reason. I thought you could kick someone out the door for being a total jerk, or treating your employees badly.
I'm glad she vetoed it, but only because I thought the law was discriminatory...against atheists. Why are religious business owners the only ones who should be able to choose which customers to serve? If the law hadn't specified that the reason for refusal of service must be a seriously held religious belief, then I would have had no problem with it.

Important note: I myself would not discriminate against gays and I support gay marriage. There are a ton of things that are irrational that we should nonetheless have the right to do.
A privately owned business is just that...PRIVATELY owned. The business owner should be able to accept whatever customer base he or she so chooses. If certain customers are not being served, that opens up a business opportunity for someone else to fill a niche. For all I care, they could discriminate against me because my eyes are blue. It just means that they don't get my money, which is oblivious to prejudice of any kind.

The only establishments that should be forced to not discriminate are those which are funded by taxpayer money. But when it comes to private businesses, discrimination laws should not apply because of personal property rights.
You can always count on a liberal Democrat to stand tall in a stiff wind.

Republicans? Not so much.

I'm really going to miss watching Steeler games.
Imagine if Arizona tried the pass the Declaration of Independence. Now that would be controversial!
I've always wondered how those who misrepresented this bill would feel about the pet breeder who is told she must sell an animal to practitioners of Santeria. I know people who breed goats for sale as pets and as self propelled, self fertilizing lawn mowers. The regularly refuse to sell to certain ethnic groups because they suspect their intentions are to slaughter the animal.
apparently, she thinks she would get enough votes come next election..kiss her job goodbye now..many had the faith she would not be racist AGAINST religious beliefs. Bye Jan..
I thought she was term limited.

It is so depressing that almost no one believes this anymore. The Civil Rights Act decimated property rights in ways that are only now becoming clear. Under common law it was only "common carriers" like ferries or railroads that were forced to do business against their will. That is why progressives started with Rosa Parks on a bus; it was legitimate to force a common carrier to accommodate everyone. But the Civil Rights Act broadened that to ALL businesses and now look at what we have! Some Americans actually have more rights than others and the government call tell us who to hire and who to do business with. This is utterly perverse. The founders are spinning in their graves.
I watched a "news" item (Canadian) about this bill. They portrayed this bill as all about legalizing anti-gay bigotry. (I believe there are lawyers who say the bill simply allowed those small business people who, for religious reasons, refused to abide by gay demands, would be allowed an opportunity to take their case to a court where the contentions could be adjudicated by a judge. But this is not how the MSM presented the issue -- they mounted a concerted pro-gay, anti-religious campaign which demonized business owners. Then when the Republican senators chimed in, urging the governor to veto the bill, it was all but a done deal (of course the governor would cave in to the mob). All too predictable.
Coward. Couldn't stand up to disinformation from the Anti-Religious Bigots.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
Did she also do a prostate bow to the east to DC Meca? Or did she just do a prostrate bow in whatever direction the NFL Business HQ is located?

One Trackback to “Brewer Vetoes Controversial AZ Religious Rights Bill”