The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

February 5, 2014 - 9:16 pm

The always clueless International Olympic Committee decided to award this year’s Winter Olympics to a barely above Third World toilet of a city instead of Salzburg, Austria. Thus far, it seems like an epic fail. A new Twitter account called “Sochi Problems” popped up to chronicle all of the fun journalists are encountering as they arrive. Here is a sampling.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.
I visited Russia back in 1987. Glad to see the water is as clear as it was back then.
My favorite Russian bathroom story happened in 2011 in Moscow. I was there as part of a group tour and our horrible bus broke down on our way into the city. While we sat there we noticed car after car pulling over and the occupants running off into the woods. Guys in business suits mostly. Our Russian host told us they were using the "bathroom." You can't just run into a McDonalds or even a rest area.

What does this have to do with Sochi? The things I saw in Moscow give me no faith whatsoever that Sochi will be a success. I even saw some of the old 1980 Olympic venues. The rubble and packs of wild dogs were breathtaking!
Reply to my own comment. I was sitting here thinking of my trip and it struck me that my favorite bathroom story is actually this - We went to a big museum near Moscow and I needed to hit the head pretty bad. The "bathroom" was a small building near the museum (sort of what you'd expect at your local park) and I proceed inside only to find - three 12" diameter holes in the cement. You have to squad in the middle of the floor to do your business. I wish I had taken a picture because it was that bad. So, I decide I don't really need to go. Walking around I notice a lady sitting in front of 3 port-o-potties near the gate. She apparently takes your money so you can use them. Unfortunately I ran into people who tried them and said they were so horrible they couldn't go in. They were heading for the room with the holes in the ground.

You can't make this stuff up. Russia won't fail to entertain in Sochi - one way or the other.
I'm sick of re-hearing all the Russian routines I grew up with during the Cold War. Relax, folks - unless you're in the EU or one of the former British colonies you're going to have toilet problems. I don't recall anyone mentioning the toilet paper in the trash cans when the Olympics were in Beijing.
But at least all those jobs were shovel ready!
All the IOC cares about is the check making its way to their Swiss bank accounts.