The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

February 4, 2014 - 9:12 pm

Old school.

A Maryland middle school is holding a dance and pizza party complete with a DJ and a game room for students who earned straight A’s.

Students who got B’s and C’s are invited to attend the party once classes are over, and pizza is no longer being served. Students with lower grades are not invited at all, The Washington Post reported.

According to the newspaper’s report, 306 students of the school’s 865 students are being left out of the party.

Before college, I spent six years being educated by nuns and six years in public schools. I know for a fact that I learned far more from the good sisters who never at any time cared about my feelings. We have just pumped out a generation or two of emo morons because educators began focusing on not making under-performing students feel bad about themselves.

Many will, of course, confuse incentive with shame here. And I am sure that some of those 306 students who are being left out have some legitimate learning issues.

Some.

The bottom line here is that, in the rush to coddle students who struggle in school we have almost stigmatized those who do well. Such an extraordinary effort is made to not formally praise them that it diminishes the hard work it takes to get straight A’s. This kind of reward is refreshing in the Participation Trophy Era.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

I am so sick and tired of this crap! The kids who fool around get coddled and rewarded, and those who WORK HARD get ignored or even punished!
No. The grades are earned. They are an indication of the student's mastery of the material and should be based on objective standards. A student doesn't get an A on their work as a reward, they earn it as recognition of the standard they have met- and a kid doing A level work and getting a B has every right to contest the grade every bit as a kid doing C level work has no right to expect a higher grade as a reward to motivate them to do better, or to boost their self-esteem, or to acknowledge challenges specific to them which hindered their performance. Some will have to work harder to meet the standard in a subject, but the grad is earn
Hey, not so fast....

As more and more of school curriculum becomes thinly veiled Leftist Indoctrination, “rewards” like this JUST MIGHT BE another form of ideological control. Welcome to The Machine, Good Comrades...

I live in a highly vaunted Public School district, our teachers are the highest paid in the State….. and as my son progresses through this system, my suspicions about the buzz, about how “spectacular” our schools are, and how EVERYONE LOVES COUNCIL ROCK, are being realized…this highly vaunted reputation amounts to little more than “cult worship”...its fabulous because they SAY its fabulous, its superior because they get PAID superiorly….and you’ll never get HIRED by The District unless you’re a graduate OF The District, get it?….but as far as the teaching methods? The homework? Field Trips? ….Meh, really not really that impressed…

Convoluted, confusing ways of getting the basics across, along with a heavy dose of P/C. I spend more time covering the basics (like, actual spelling and phonics?) because they are too lazy to teach these, instead relying on the “sight-word method” for spelling…Hand them a new word with an apostrophe and never SHOW THEM WHY ….like, it used to be TWO words? “Can’t” means “can not”, its just shortened with an apostrophe, THAT’S what the little squiggle means?…radical news for my young son struggling with these “weird shaped” words they got this week….. and I’m not the only parent who questions these and other ineffective “method de’jour” that is all the rage with “educators” today.

…I’m already on their sh*t list for pointing out that “recycling” belongs in the SCIENCE category…you know, separating like-materials? Shredding, melting and re-processing them into new things?…because it has to WORK, in order for it to, you know, ‘work”?…rather having it exclusively under the “social studies” umbrella as it is now?.... but hey, what do I know, I didn’t graduate from Council Rock…

So, as far as those snarky “my kid beat up your honor student” bumper stickers, I’ve seen them too…and I always figured they were more of a backlash against the DNC Unionized Liberal Conformist Nonsense that passes for an “education” these days, than anything else.
KMan1
I have a different spin on this whole affair.

KMan, Grade inflation occurs in the center with a glut of C grades for kids that rarely attended or participated. It is easier to pass along an unearned average grade than an unearned A. Teachers know the tricks of the trade...
I have a different spin on this whole affair. Today in most public schools grades are meaningless because teachers give As like candy anyway. Grade inflation has been a fact of life for 40 years. Basically, if a typical student shows up and does the work, that's an A for the day.

Gotta keep up the kid's self-esteem. In fact, parents will actually raise a fuss, threaten lawsuits, etc., if Pweshus doesn't get an A herself, often forcing teachers who don't want to go along with this inflation to do so anyway when the school administration sides with these parents.

So if someone's kid actually does get a B or C or worse today, odds are they really screwed up and would have been receiving Ds and Fs 40 years ago.
Although I do not find cause to complain about the A-students receiving the pizza perk - positive perks are a good thing, I have to at least somewhat agree that shutting the less than stellar students out altogether is not a great idea, since that is a form of punishment and creates unnecessary and artificial stratification whereas team building would be better called for. Positive reinforcement is always the better way to go, punishment should only be used where somebody actually does something wrong, not for situations where people don't do well enough, other than the direct result of not doing well (receiving low marks, getting fired, etc.) As long as the students are still part of the school, they should not get shut out of a school event like that. Positive reinforcement is best, punishment is best used for infractions.
As a retired public school teacher I am convinced that our only hope is to rescue our children from the public (government) schools and raise a godly generation.

Please see "Call to Dunkirk" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRGZLSVph3A.

Public schools cannot be redeemed. Saying we should not abandon them is like saying the passengers of the Titanic should have stayed aboard because the band was playing good music and the captain was a good man.

Please also see IndoctriNation at http://indoctrinationmovie.com.

Additionally, please see http://insectman.us/exodus-mandate-wv/index.htm.

We must RESCUE OUR CHILDREN!

The "bar" for performance was forever lowered when Obama was elected.
Bottom line: Bribes are good. If everyone gets them, then they aren't bribes any more.
"The kind of elitists I admire are those who ruthlessly seek out and encourage intelligence and who believe that competition – and, inevitably, some measure of failure – will do more for character than coddling ever can. My kind of elitist does not grade on a curve and is willing to flunk the whole class. My kind of elitist detests the policy of social promotion that has rendered a high school diploma meaningless and a college degree nearly so." ~ William A. Henery III In Defense of Elitism [1994]
The Giver should be required reading for all middle schoolers. It gives a broader sense of the term "sameness" as used by Mark v. It was required reading when my kids were in middle school.
When I took the test for my teaching credential, I overheard a number of prospective teachers saying that this was the fifth or sixth or eight time they were taking the CBEST math. They then followed by a diatribe about how ridiculous it was that they needed to pass a math test, after all they were going to teach third grade, and they were not going to teach any math anyway.

Then when I taught JHS, one of the math teachers with the most time at the school was offered a chance to teach Algebra to the advanced students. He turned it down. To paraphrase, I don't know nothing about Algebra. These are the people teaching your children.

So what you have is at least one, probably two generations of teachers who were unsuccessful in school, who hated Math, who can't write a coherent paragraph and who show no enthusiasm for their subjects. They have bad memories of their own school days and therefore are trying to protect this generation from similar bad experiences.

It is probably the case that no student learns everything that a teacher presents in class. Let´s say the best students retain 80%. If the teacher only has a strong hold on 50% of the material that means they leave with 40%. If this process is repeated, the limit of the function approaches zero.
My niece is a NY teacher. I was appalled when at a function at my home she was laughing as she told us that she can't spell. She joked that she should have the students grade their own spelling work because they would probably do better than her.

I was not laughing.

How someone can not only graduate high school without being able to spell, then graduate college and become a teacher, is frightening. The blind leading the blind.
1 2 Next View All