The PJ Tatler

Restoration Fund: Gov. Bob McDonnell Asking for More Cash Handouts?

J. Christian Adams

January 22, 2014 - 6:26 am

Governor Bob McDonnell was indicted yesterday for giving favors to a man who loaned him a Ferrari, Rolexes, cash, and jets.  Anyone tempted to give the disgraced governor the benefit of the doubt should read this wrecking ball piece on the indictment from the eminent Bryon York. McDonnell appeared on MSNBC today and defended himself in a press conference.  These unconventional appearances after an indictment have the trappings of a defendant who will have to draw an inside straight to avoid federal prison.  But to beat the wrap, he’ll need cash, lots of it.

Enter the Bob McDonnell “Restoration Fund.”  This email went out to this morning to donors to his campaign:

Friends,

Earlier today former Governor Bob McDonnell released a statement regarding the false indictment built upon discredited witnesses that was filed today in federal court.

Please take time to read below

The Restoration Fund

——-

A MESSAGE FROM FORMER GOVERNOR ROBERT F. MCDONNELL

“My fellow Virginians, earlier today federal prosecutors notified my attorneys that they have filed criminal charges against me and my wife Maureen, alleging that we violated federal law by accepting gifts and loans from Jonnie Williams, the former CEO of Star Scientific. I deeply regret accepting legal gifts and loans from Mr. Williams, all of which have been repaid with interest, and I have apologized for my poor judgment for which I take full responsibility. However, I repeat emphatically that I did nothing illegal for Mr. Williams in exchange for what I believed was his personal generosity and friendship. I never promised – and Mr. Williams and his company never received – any government benefit of any kind from me or my Administration. We did not violate the law, and I will use every available resource and advocate I have for as long as it takes to fight these false allegations, and to prevail against this unjust overreach of the federal government.”

Robert F. McDonnell
Former Governor of Virginia

This looks like a soon-to-be pitch for cash from a legal defense fund. The irony is rich. A government official who finds himself facing federal prison because of cash handouts may be asking for more cash handouts. When will it end?

It won’t end before we are all treated to a photograph of Bob McDonnell driving a Ferrari delivered to him for vacation use from the sugar daddy. The indictment describes Maureen McDonnell emailing the photograph to the sugar daddy, presumably as a thank you for the favor.

It is worth noting that the whole McDonnell mess started to unravel when they treated a chef poorly.  The governor and his spokesmen were quick to throw the chef to the wolves and smear the chef’s reputation.  They reminded reporters that the chef was facing charges for fleecing the governor’s mansion of some food.  How delicious in hindsight — a few hams vs. a Ferrari.

Considering Gov. McDonnell has not broken any ethics or crimes under Virginia law, I find it ironic that the corrupt, deceptive and lying Obama Democrats and liberal media are piling on to charge Gov. McDonnell. It is Obama's corrupt Justice Department who is making the charges. It is all corrupt Democratic politics.
I live in Virginia. I met McDonnell when he was Atty General and looking for support for running for governor. We contributed. Period.

Now. I don't wear a Rolex. My husband doesn't wear a Rolex.

Now, what the hell does Bob McDonnell's wife think he ought to have a free $5,0000 Rolex, when the people who contributed $$$ don't feel they need to wear a free Rolex.

This is pitiful. I hope both McDonnell's go to J-A-I-L.

Now. I don't wear a Rolex. My husband doesn't wear a Rolex.

This is pitiful. I hope both McDonnell's go to J-A-I-L.
I dispise guys like this...they should both get the full 20 years in jail.
Once a grifter, always a grifter. And to think Bob was a potential VP candidate in 2011 and people even talked about him as a Presidential candidate. His only saving grace was that he refrained from saying stupid stuff most of the time. And he has good hair. Good hair is important (think Rick Perry). Great column Mr. Adams.
Partial moral to the story.... always be nice to the little guy.
See, we our kicking our people when they are down, while a Demoncrat would be raking in the money for a defense fund. Demoncrats play for keeps, Republicans fold and run away.
Nonsense. Bob McDonnell isn't "our people." His record on taxes and election integrity disqualifies him from that honorific title. More importantly, "our people" don't turn government positions into piggy banks. When one does that, they are no longer the sort of people who believe government should be limited and honorable.
Considering the corrupt, deceptive and lying Democrats . . . . keep drinking the kool-aid.
Apparently he trained his kids to do the same thing when they cleaned out the kitchen and took food back to school with them.
don't forget Maureen asking for a plane ticket to send the daughter to a bachelorette party in Savannah GA.
I haven't followed the particulars of this situation, so let's just stipulate that there was no illegal quid pro quo here, that in fact, no favors were granted to these providers of gifts. Just for the sake of discussion, mind you - I'm not expressing an opinion on that.

Who does NOT know that accepting such gifts is politically STUPID??

That's the BEST face I can put on this - world-class stupidity!

Even if he avoids prison time, I have to wonder what he's going to do for a living for the rest of his life. He's done in politics, and I don't know what law firm or lobbying outfit would hire him.

I blame Dollar Bill Bob for McAuliffe's ascension to the statehouse. Usually, I would support a fair trial for any defendant. But I'd really like to lock him up and throw away the key.
No, it was RINOs, Chris Christie, and Bobbie Jindal who starved the Republican campaign for money. The money that went to Christie could have gone to Virginia and real Republicans would have won.
Yep. Between Bob and the RINO Establishment, Terry McSleeze didn't win the election, he had it handed to him, along with the Lt. Governor's office.

I heard on my local AM news something about McDonnell facing charges which included "accepting a ride in a Ferrari". I naturally thought it was just another Scooter Libby-type smear job until I read Byron York's piece. Yikes! How could the people of Va. ever have elected someone of such glaringly low character? He and his wife are not only crass and vulgar but unbelievably stupid as well. I don't understand why nothing was revealed about their greed and financial mismanagement before the election.
1 2 Next View All