The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

January 2, 2014 - 9:52 am

Provocative headline, no? Actually, I would dearly love to provoke a global warming advocate into lecturing me about the difference between “climate” and “weather.” I mean, it’s not like every heat wave, or hurricane, or tornado outbreak that occurs isn’t followed immediately by calls by climate change believers for swift action to prevent catastrophe.

There’s only a difference between climate and weather when skeptics are making the claims of proof.

I bring this up because in the midst of one of the most severe winters on record, climate change advocates are warning us that global warming is happening even faster than they originally thought.

The Telegraph reports:

As the planet marked its fourth hottest year on record, a study published in the journal Nature found increasing levels of carbon dioxide will lead to thinner ocean clouds and reduce their cooling impact, causing temperature rises of at least 5.6F (3C) over the course of the century.

The team of scientists said the findings show some climate models have been too “optimistic” and previous estimates of a minimum temperature rise of only 2.7F (1.5C) could now be discounted. The optimistic models did not properly assess the impact of water evaporation, which sometimes rises only a short distance into the atmosphere and causes updraughts that reduce cloud cover, the study found.

”These models have been predicting a lower climate sensitivity but we believe they’re incorrect,” Professor Steven Sherwood, from the University of New South Wales, told The Sydney Morning Herald.

”The net effect of [climate change] is you have less cloud cover.”

The study comes amid a controversy in Australia over claims by Maurice Newman, Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s top business adviser, who said the world had been taken “hostage to climate change madness”.

Mr Newman said the climate change establishment, led by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, remained “intent on exploiting the masses and extracting more money”.

“The scientific delusion, the religion behind the climate crusade, is crumbling,” he wrote in The Australian. “Global temperatures have gone nowhere for 17 years… If the IPCC were your financial adviser, you would have sacked it long ago.”

Mr Newman, a former chairman of the Australian Stock Exchange, was criticised by the opposition and pilloried by scientists, who said he was expressing “flat earth” views and should be sacked.

“His piece is a mix of common climate change myths, misinformation and ideology,” said Professor David Karoly, from the University of Melbourne, in an article in The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I would not choose a person who believes that the Earth is flat to advise Australian shipping or airline businesses on how to plan routes to travel around the world. It is clearly not sensible to have a person who believes that climate change science is a delusion as leader of the prime minister’s Business Advisory Council.”

The prediction of even more apocalyptic climate change represents a doubling down by some scientists who may feel the argument getting away from them. With no appreciable rise in temperature for at least 17 years and models predicting the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere wildly off-target, the “in for a penny, in for a pound” group of climate experts have apparently decided we aren’t sufficiently scared enough to force our politicians to act.

And up is down and left is right.
In the next decade we will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Last week I had a discussion with someone about the sea expedition stuck in the ice. Nice to know that they are safe now after massive efforts to rescue them.

She said that they were trapped in the ice because of global warming.

"how could that be?" I wondered.

"Well, the ice melted and they went too far. Then they got frozen in"

" So, we can expect more frozen ships as a result of global warming which is melting the ice"

"Exactly"

How can you argue with such superior logic?
So when the ship full of global warming scientist fanatics radioed from Antarctica that their ship was surrounded by ice, wouldn't the appropriate response have been:

"No, I'm sorry, the global warming data shows that the ice pack is the smallest in history."
About 40 years ago we were hearing all about the coming "Ice Age." Maybe it is finally arriving, at least where I live it seems to be.
I always like to say, "If climate didn't change, we wouldn't have a word for it." They do sound awfully desperate these days, especially when stuck in Antarctica's shrinking ice cap. Heh.
To Gridley's point: We get "exited about" them because this fictional AGW garbage is being used by the Progressive left to completely control us. There is not a single commodity or service that has not been negatively impacted by the hoax that is "climate change." The only "positive" impact is felt by those stealing our tax money for "research" or extorting money from governments and corporations in the "carbon credit" Ponzi schemes. We not only need to cut the head off this snake, we need to chop it to bits and make sure that everyone sees every single flawed piece.
Reminds me of Liberals haughtily dismissing conservatives as "baggers." These pigs never let the truth get between them and your money or freedom for that matter.
Wouldn`t it be grand to see them all gathering to twist Chinas arm into cleaning up instead.
In the next decade we will wonder what all the fuss was about.

She said that they were trapped in the ice because of global warming.

"how could that be?" I wondered.

"Well, the ice melted and they went too far. Then they got frozen in"

"Exactly"

How can you argue with such superior logic?
It's at times like that that I just sit back and think to myself, "It's time for Mother Nature to start culling the herd."

Ironic that those fools had to rely on fossil fuel to save their sorry butts.
I had to resist the temptation to post a skewed version of the "Gilligan's Island" theme, just for them...
As usual, follow the money -- in the form of government grants to universities, think tanks and other "scientific" research facilities who fund themselves with tax money. Al Gore is a very rich ex-vice president.
Reminds me of something the Bard penned long ago.

PETRUCHIO
"Come on, in God's name; once more toward our father's.
Good Lord, how bright and goodly shines the moon!"

KATHARINA
"The moon! the Sun: it is not moonlight now."

PETRUCHIO
"I say it is the moon that shines so bright."

KATHARINA
"I know it is the sun that shines so bright."

PETRUCHIO
"Now, by my mother's son, and that's myself,
It shall be moon, or star, or what I list,
Or ere I journey to your father's house.
Go on, and fetch our horses back again.
Evermore cross'd and cross'd; nothing but cross'd!"

HORTENSIO
"Say as he says, or we shall never go."

KATHARINA
"Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,
And be it moon, or sun, or what you please:
An if you please to call it a rush-candle,
Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me."

PETRUCHIO
"I say it is the moon."

KATHARINA
"I know it is the moon."

PETRUCHIO
"Nay, then you lie: it is the blessed sun."

Along those lines, right before Glendower and Hotspur get to the famous line about being able to call "spirits from the vasty deep" in Henry IV, there's another exchange in which Glendower tries and fails to impress Hotspur with this gem:

Glendower:
I cannot blame him: at my nativity
The front of heaven was full of fiery shapes,
Of burning cressets; and at my birth
The frame and huge foundation of the earth
Shaked like a coward.

Hotspur:
Why, so it would have done at the same season, if
your mother's cat had but kittened, though yourself
had never been born.

One of the benefits to the "climate change" ideology is that it's so poorly defined and unfalsifiable that pretty much ANYTHING can be considered "proof" for it, including any and all sorts of weather, all terrestrial and celestial events, and even opinion polls. (If people opine that the earth is warming, then it's a scientific consensus which just goes to show we need lots of government programs and regulation to save us from ourselves. If they opine that it isn't, then it just goes to show how badly we stupid and uneducated "deniers" need to be "educated" by government programs to show us the error of our ways and regulated to save us from ourselves.)

We know the globe must be warming because Glendower keeps showing us burning cressets and other scientific signs that portend an ill future for us. So shut up, Hotspur!
I suspect this little mudball we live on is going to keep doing what it's been doing for billions of years; gradually becoming warmer or cooler, according to the dictates of the forces that have been shaping it since it first formed.

Neither the Dre Karolys, nor the skeptics like me, are going to make a damned bit of difference, so why get excited about the Climate Change Hoaxers or the Doomsayers? None of them have been able to back up their "science" with an accurate prediction.