The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

December 3, 2013 - 2:30 pm

This article in the Colorado Daily Camera is fantastic, but it’s missing something.

The Well Armed Woman — their slogan is “Where the Feminine and Firearm Meet” — advertises stylish purses designed for concealed carry.

Another online retailer, Pistols & Pumps — “Concealed and High Heeled” — offers pink camouflage hats and bra-mounted holsters.

Gungoddess.com – the name, apparently, is sufficient — sells a variety of “gun bling,” including leopard-print handgun grips and zebra-print ear protection.

Such items may seem odd to some, but these retailers understand their customer base — a group of young, strong, determined and armed women. And just because their bullets may be fired from pistols with rhinestone-studded grips doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be taken seriously.

These women are among a growing population of gun owners who fiercely fight for their right to own and carry a gun for self-protection.

“A woman with pepper spray is smart, a woman who takes self-defense is prepared, but a woman with a gun is scary,” said Rachael Makowski, a 25-year-old nanny in Westminster, Colo. “And when it comes down to my life or theirs, I want them to be just as afraid of me as I am of them.”

Self-reported gun ownership — among both men and women in the U.S. — is the highest it has been since 1993.

At the same time that the Democrats are trying and trying again to make “gun control” — making it harder to buy and own your own gun — a winning political issue for them. If only there was a political party out there that was a) pro gun rights and b) smart enough to use its support of gun rights to win over young female voters. Wouldn’t that be nice? If such a world existed, I would very much like to live in it.

At any rate, as I mentioned, the article is fantastic and I recommend reading the whole thing. It profiles what might be called archetypes of today’s female gun owner: the teacher, the students, the cheerleaders — gun owners all. What it lacks is this ad, to show how a gun might be used for self-defense.

YouTube Preview Image

It also lacks visual examples of women who own guns.

At PJ Media, we’re here to help. Consider it a public service.

So here’s Shelbie Murry. She’s a Houston Texans cheerleader.

murry-1

The Texans are losers this year, but Shelbie Murry isn’t.

She likes guns. Long guns.

murry-2

And hand guns.

murry-3

So there’s our cheerleader. The teacher is a little harder to find.

Cheryl Torrenueva isn’t exactly a teacher. Sort of. She’s a designer on the cable show Restaurant: Impossible. She teaches restaurant owners how to update their drab spaces.

cheryl_torrenueva1

My standard response to gun control advocates is "Why do you hate women so much that you want to strip them of the ability to defend themselves against sexual attack?" That usually sends them into a spitting rage.
What's really happening is that the poll takers are reporting (truthfully) that fewer households admit to owning guns than was the case a few years ago. The reason for this is no homeowner in his right mind is going to tell someone over the phone, that, yes, my family owns a gun, or guns.

I've been asked twice now by pollsters, and both times I've lied and said, no, no guns in my house, even though my gun safe is chock full of rifles, pistols, and shotguns. And both my wife and I carry concealed.
Women are not just becoming more prominent as firearms owners, they're stepping up and becoming instructors in larger numbers. I'm adding on to my instructor's certificates this weekend -32 of the 70 adults registered for the weekend course are women.

My youth shooting sports team will top over 100 members this year and is pretty close to 50/50 girls and boys across all disciplines - rifle, pistol, shotgun and archery.
There used to be a lefty radio talk show host in LA named Michael Jackson. He had a show about 15 years ago where he had the LA police chief on the show to talk about how bad it was to carry a concealed weapon. It was illegal and in LA that was really bad ! All his callers were women ! They all said, "I will not be a victim !" It was hilarious. He would scold a caller, then the next one would be another armed woman.

He's been off the air at least 10 years. Maybe he got discouraged.
You want a girl with guns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8VmJRuBFY [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f8VmJRuBFY]

(Hope the link posts correctly...)
She's awesome. Three gun is a challenge for adults.
"Whatever she has in that case, I’m betting that it didn’t come from Urban Outfitters."

From studying the portions of the magazine, stock, and barrel visible in the photo, and the ammo on the bench, it seems to be a SIG 522 rifle/carbine, in .22 LR caliber.

Apparently a rental, according to the blog entry. A great choice for target shooting on an indoor range; low recoil, relatively quiet, and cheap to shoot (ammo is inexpensive).
Depends on what you consider inexpensive.... .22LR ammunition has had one of the sharpest price increases and reduced availability for target shooters. My rifle team almost missed a 3P match last Spring because we didn't have enough ammunition to compete due to an inventory error (someone put a couple of empty boxes back on the shelf).

In the meantime, I do lean towards .177 or .22 for beginners, since the low recoil, etc allows the person to focus on learning technique and skill rather than reacting to what the firearm is doing.
I've had my daughters in MMA for a year now. And guess what? Santa's going to be bringing them each a Daisy Pink Carbine so that they can start firearms training in the backyard. By the time they turn 18, they'll have over 10 years' experience with hand-to-hand combat and firearms. My youngest daughter will start MMA when she's three.

Creed of the Soldier's Daughter
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, Evil better fear me, because I have enough skills, firearms and cutlery to skin an army of ninjas, and I just hit that time of the month...

(Yeah, I know, it's a bit vulgar, but even my wife laughed at that.)
Change "soldier's" to "warrior's" and it's right on.
Good point. I like it!
For those unfamiliar; for the past few generations, most soldiers have been support staff, and only a small contingent have been actual combat troops.

Guesstimate: In WW1 and years prior, it was 75%, in WWII it was 50% and now it's barely 20% in combat arms.

Nice looking gals. But I'd be more impressed if the one holding the shotgun had a better stance. The "lean back" look is typical of women when they first hold a heavy long gun, trying to compensate for the weight forward on their arms.

Yeah. I know. I'm a party pooper.

She sort of looks like me when I'm trying to shoot my Garand offhand in the NM course.
The one below the shotgun gal is also leaning back.

One thing my first real coach (called "Coach", he was a volunteer at the private/public shooting club I belonged to some while back, a member of the 1968 Olympic team and a the NCOIC of the Air Force shooting team) got me to do was to lean well forward. For a woman this is as important given their lack of upper body strength.
Tends to lead to "falling on her ass" syndrome too. Lean into the recoil folks.
I suspect it also sends them into deeper levels of denial/delusion.
Gun Control Advocate - Someone who would rather see a young woman lying dead in an alley with her pantyhose tied around her neck than standing over her assailant with a gun in her hand.

Modified from a tagline I saw on the Net some years ago.
At the link to her blog post ("I think she likes guns"), Cheryl Torrenueva suggests some decorating tips for the gun range: "Purse holders and a more appealing colour scheme would be great," just above a picture of her target results. They ought to take her suggestions seriously.
Three years away from the next Clinton regency, and already women are arming themselves.
Drive through rural and peaceful downtown Greenville, Ohio (pop. 13,000) and you will see an open space which features a large statue honoring a petite lady brandishing a gun!

Annie Oakley.
Mainstream imagery can drive self-image and put thoughts in people's heads.

The once rare image of Ripley in "Aliens" strapped with a grenade-launching, flame-throwing automatic weapon is more common in film, TV, literature and the book covers that goes with that literature today.

Ironically, illustrations of women with giant swords and automatic weapons inspired by feminism is mainstreaming the idea of women packing heat. I'm sure feminists never thought their fantasy girls might cross over into reality but maybe it is.

That same irony is embedded in an unprecedented number of articles on-line gathered around the idea "we have always fought" and citing female duelists and WW II pilots in the Soviet Union, female gladiators, Mexican revolutionaries and Chinese and Irish pirates. Overblown or not, if you build it we will come might get women to thinking that if they have always fought they will always fight, and you need a gun to do that. Be careful what you wish for feminists or you might create a conservative monster.
1 2 Next View All