The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

November 18, 2013 - 7:41 am

There are a number of problems with the Common Core public school curriculum. One merely has to Google “problems with Common Core” to come up with story after story about, well, problems with Common Core.

Common Core is Orwellian, according to the Huffington Post.

This piece in the Washington Post outlines eight additional problems with Common Core.

“White suburban moms” being upset because CC proves that their kid isn’t “brilliant” doesn’t really come up. Unless you’re an Obama administration official deputized to defend yet another boneheaded, top-down policy.

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan told a group of state schools superintendents Friday that he found it “fascinating” that some of the opposition to the Common Core State Standards has come from “white suburban moms who — all of a sudden — their child isn’t as brilliant as they thought they were, and their school isn’t quite as good as they thought they were.”

Say goodbye to the soccer mom vote, Democrats!

Parents’ issues with Common Core don’t come down to the test scores. They come down to the way Common Core was developed, the way it has been foisted on state and local school districts and how it usurps local control, and the content of much of Common Core’s teachings.

It’s sad that the Obama administration is so consistently intent on smearing people because of their gender or their race or their economic status.

*****
Related: 10 Terrible Common Core Homework Assignments

I'm a retired teacher. These waves of destructive top-down, bureaucratic, one-size-fits-all school reform started in the 1960s with the school district consolidation movement. Thousands of small, local, independent school districts were wiped out and combined into mega-districts. This movement coincided with the unionization of the teacher corps. These two big government catastrophes started the long, slow decline of the public schools. By its nature, education is a labor-intensive, hands-on profession that starts with love of the students, love of learning, and love of the art of teaching. Bureaucratic mandates are a poor substitute for a culture of professionalism among teachers. The second thing that's wrecked the public schools is cultural degradation: divorce, out of wedlock births, crude and ugly mass media, etc. Good public schools depend on strong families and a strong common culture that encourages positive behavior and love of learning. These are gone with the wind. Wise parents today seek charter schools, religious schools, independent schools, or home school networks. It's essential to cluster with other families in schools that share positive values.
my co-worker's mom makes $77 hourly on the laptop. She has been fired from work for 7 months but last month her pay check was $15344 just working on the laptop for a few hours. his explanation>>>>>>>>>>> www.jobs35.com
▂ ▄ ▅ ▇ Good News My Buddies ▇ ▅ ▄ ▂ ...

"Can you have some spare time to sit back in your chair having your laptop with you and making some money online for some interesting online work “said Jenny Francis in the party last night ....see more what is for you there to increase your pocket money
============ W­W­W­.Wow40.­ℂ­ℴ­m
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,,, WWW.Rush64.COM
I take the long view on this. Teachers are always complaining that things use to be better. And the pivotal point when they started to get worse was when they were teaching.

There are people in the world who think things should be better than they are. That you can be yourself and more.

I use to listen to Conservatives like Hannity broadcast how many of our students couldn't find Wisconsin of a map.

Although I have no information about this, I wonder what would happen if we took the 50 top executives of the 50 top earning companies and asked them to find Wisconsin on the map.

The map would be of the United States without State names typed on it so we would have outlines of the States without their names.

I would bet they would do about as badly as what Hannity called our dumbed down school students.

There are things we know. The waves of drugs and Democrats always makes everything worse. What remains unclear, however, is how effective they have been. And maybe we aren't quite as smart of pumped up Conservatives think they are.

After all it is real easy to think you know something when what you know is ludlicrous.

Conservatives like to show how stupid we are compared to a moving standard. I wonder.

This may strike you far afield, but I do not think it is. I watched on TV a show featuring a chef named Ramsey and he arranged competition between selected restaurants.

Into each restaurant came a bus loaded with 50 diners who took their seats in the restaurant and ordered. At the same time. The show highlighted errors in service and in the kitchen.

Yet these were successful restaurants. But they always fell down badly in some aspect of their service and cooking.

But then again while all of these restaurants served lunch or diner to 200, they actually never served lunch or diner to 50 people who started at the same time.

I won't go into it. I think everyone is busy defrauding everyone.

I recently spoke with a high school graduate who will enter college as a math major. In the course of our conversation about the size of the college she is planning on attending, taking 10 percent of the number 7000 came up. She dithered, and I said, "700." She said, "Oh yeah, about 700." Then she wanted to take half of 700. She could not figure this out either and said something about needing a pencil and paper. I said, "350." She responded with, "Oh yeah, about 350." Then she wanted half of 350. I said, "175." She said, "Oh yeah, about 175". I know this young lady, and she is truly a bright girl. Her father is an engineer, and her mom is a math teacher. Harvard even expressed some interested in her. And she is going to major in math! What has happened to mathematics education? I am no great shakes in math at all, but I can take 10 percent of a number or 1/2 of a number in my head. I honestly can't get over this conversation with a potential college math major.
He's just a leftist guttersnipe, arguing the only way lefties know how -- by character assassination, imputation of motives, and racial smears. It's the only way they can defend their malicious, pernicious policies.
My wife retired from teaching this year. She said this last year was her most difficult because the kids are learning disrespect from their parents. Another reason for calling it quits was common core. I doubt she was aware there was going to be such an emphasis on brainwashing children to accept liberal history revisionism on every aspect of education. She misses her good kids but does not miss the school's administration. Maybe the secretary of education should look at inner cities inability to educate kids in something other than increasing their share of the entitlement pie.
We should call for separation of school and state stating today America!

Children Of The State

The destruction of the family unit is an essential step to take towards achieving totalitarian rule. Radical feminism and global collectivism are slowly but surely eradicating individuals and families alike paving the way for a one world government controlled by the state.

No, what we should be calling for is the absolute destruction of education. Education and school has ALWAYS been for the brainwashing of children, ever since Rousseau wrote "Emile." Keep that in mind, because he was also responsible, alongside Voltaire and Sade, for the massacre known as the French Revolution. All Common Core is is a further extension of "Emile," of which its a citable fact that the Education system is based directly on Emile's teachings.
I went to one of those small local schools in New England in the '50s. There were 15 kids in my elementary school class who came from to poor to middle-class to upper-middle class families and, because our teachers were so loving and dedicated to us, there was absolutely NO difference in the way any of us were treated. This carried over into our relations with one another, where none of us were aware of differences but just the things that we shared, in the classroom and outside. I can't really recall any bullying or strife. I later went to a consolidated high school and it was everything my elementary school was not - impersonal, over-crowded, full of cliques and social-classism. I went from loving school to absolutely hating it.
EducationCare! We're canceling your old junk curricula for your own good.
'Junk' is now a noun, not an adjective. The new hotness is 'sub-standard'. You need to get with the times.

/s
Wouldn't those "white suburban moms" be more likely to have their children in good schools, where the Common Core will bring down standards?
Many of those suburban "good schools" have shown themselves to be not so good. I've encountered American college undergrads from "good suburban schools" who couldn't write their way out of the proverbial paper bag. A lot of recent American high school grads have shown themselves to be functionally illiterate and innumerate, but they know how to put condoms on cucumbers and, boy, do they have high self-esteem!
1 2 Next View All