10 Terrible Common Core Homework Assignments

“White suburban moms” have more objections to the new federal education requirements than Arne Duncan's insulting caricature suggests.

Paula Bolyard

October 7, 2013 - 4:00 pm

Now that school is in session, parents have begun sharing on Facebook and other social media outlets some of the Common Core homework assignments their children are bringing home. Below are ten really bad ones that will give you an idea of the direction education is going under Common Core. All of these assignments were shared recently on social media sites dedicated to informing parents about Common Core.

1. Star citizen: quiet, sitting, neat

Star Citizens

This paper came from a Rhode Island first grade classroom. One mother commented, “I went to elementary school in Poland during communism. This is exactly what I was forced to learn.” It’s a step in the right direction for those who want a compliant, obedient citizenry. That said, this is not new to schools and we shouldn’t necessarily blame Common Core. Children — boys in particular — have been taught for decades that being “good” means being quiet and compliant. The link to good citizenry is something I haven’t seen before, however.

our daughter who just started kindergarten this fall has brought home several homework assignments that look like these examples

my wife and i many times have trouble translating the ambiguous (purposely?) instructions of the assignment altogether

it is like a statist enigma- a bunch of politically correct gobbledegook wrapped around a fundamental progressive principle

i try to counter this by implementing my own curriculum on off hours:
we do lots of flash cards, reading (from my own selected reading list,) we practice latin, and geography/history

as other posters have mentioned- this is a sort of "de-programming" or, even better, inoculation against the statist forces forever present in our world

fwiw- our rugrat attends a private lutheran school- the libs have already infiltrated so it seems best not to run from it but to face it headon

Many of us had a lot more trust in the government back then. We feared the Soviets, never thinking that our own government was heading in the same direction.
In the '80's my daughter, who was in elementary school at the time, was given a homework assignment which required her to list the medicines in our cabinet. We are natural health practitioners so there were none. When she reported back to her teacher, the teacher called her a liar.
Back then, before all the govt. spying which has made us all privacy sensitive(and rightly so), it never occurred to me to tell that teacher she had no business snooping in my medicine cabinet!
6. There is no work for this problem!

Every time I got a new math teacher in high school, she always watched me for the first couple of weeks to see if I was cheating. It was rare for me to need to "show work", especially at the beginning of the course... I did it all in my head.
This seems à propos...

Welcome to the Machine: Cultural Marxism in Education

#4 seems like a pretty legit word problem and I recall similar problems back in the 60s at my Catholic grammar school.

The rest are poorly formatted at best and pure propaganda at worst.

How did you miss these two gems? http://www.independentsentinel.com/common-core-reaches-a-new-low-check-this-out/
There's nothing wrong with #4 or #5, chillax a little.
On #5, my dad taught me how to do this when I was in the 4th grade in 1960. You woulda thought that I had declared myself a Communist.

Pretty funny actually. But I don't think that most 4th graders can do the mental visualization that it requires. Better to teach them the standard way and let then work out how to do this.
And yet if you need young men to fight in the military or to fight fires they will be required to understand and act as a team just like we all did. Who are the worthless, gutless, Anti-American Liars.
A few assorted math comments:

Example 2. "It’s not about the right answer..." this teacher would catch hell from me if I was the parent. The child CORRECTLY illustrated 7+0=7, just as valid an equation as the teacher's examples.

Example 4. "Why make math easy..." This is actually a fine math problem. Nothing wrong with it. It illustrates (and tests whether the child understands) that "More" comes in different forms, but all means the same "Add the number". (If the nation had more math-logic trained adults, we might not have Obamacare today.)

Example 5. "The new new math" Nothing wrong with that one either. Learning to add numbers by breaking them into easier pieces is a good skill, and will aid you in rapidly adding large numbers in your head, one day. And pretty much, if you have skills like that, you will vote against liberal policies.

Number 4 is a good problem, but the circles around it are stupid. Too much trying to overthink. Waste of time filling in the bubbles.
7 X 13 = 28. 7 X 3 is 21 and 7 x 1 is 7. 7 + 21 = 28.

Abbott and Costello should be the heads of the Dept. of Education.
The government does settle disagreements. That's what the judicial branch does.
What was wrong with McGuffey Readers?
written by dead white males about dead white males.
They failed to teach groupthink.

Worse, they reinforced traditional values.

Das ist verboten!
Wouldn't most people agree that school curriculum should be determined locally, or at worst at the state level? Surely there is some hope for reversing this in at least some states?
Common Core is imposed at the state level. Believe it or not, the feds have little to do with your local school system adopting it as it is not really (directly) part of No Child Left Behind. Blame the schools of education at universities around the US for their incessant leftist indoctrination of those destined to be your children's teachers.
I found it none too surprising when I read an LSU PhD candidate's (Statistics) dissertation executive summary that discovered "College of Education" majors in US universities overall perform academically worst out of all traditional majors offered. The data created a firestorm in Baton Rouge and across the country in academic circles. Fortunately, ed reformers got ahold of the findings before they were spiked.
1 2 Next View All