The PJ Tatler

David Steinberg

November 14, 2013 - 10:19 am

I just spoke with David Oscar, the communications chair for the New Jersey Association of Health Underwriters and a partner at Altigro Financial Group. He had this to say regarding President Obama’s attempt to offer a one-year restoration of canceled plans:

This a new insanity.

I do not know how the insurance carriers and federal government are going to be dealing with this. First, many states require a 60-day notice of a change in plan or a cancellation. It’s November 15! How can they comply with this new element of federal law, and with their state laws?

Second, do they really think carriers are going to be willing to recreate the old plans, while also being mandated to offer the new ones that comply with the exchanges? I have a large number of clients, small to medium-sized businesses, who would much rather renew their old policies on 12/1 than sign up with the newly mandated exchange policies. Everyone is going to want the old ones! You really expect the insurance carriers to willingly deal with the financial loss and legal headaches of switching back?

It is going to be very difficult for carriers to honor this.

More: Howard Dean: Is Obama’s ‘Fix’ Even Legal?

David Steinberg is the New York City Editor of PJ Media. Follow his tweets at @DavidSPJM.

WTF!!!! OK - Let's assume I have received a cancellation letter concerning my insurance plan and Obamacare rules (passed by Congress and signed by you-know-who) say I have to go to an exchange for a new plan. Now I can go to my old insurance company and tell them that I still want to renew the policy that they just cancelled because the Prez said so? How does that even work? A cancellation is a cancellation. There is no more contract. What do I do - Replay the President's announcement on video to my insurance carrier and say "OK - Now where to I sign?" The ACA law itself says I can't do that and the insuror may violate the law if they indulge me. Every day reveals another level of lunacy about this.
The plan isn't to "fix" the ObamaCare debacle. It's to shift the blame to the insurance companies who just got blindsided by the Prez turning It's. The. Law. into "Today's opinion is ....."

The Rule of Law is now Presidential Whim. We have become Venezuela on the Potomac. I wonder if the rest of us can obey, modify, ignore any laws at will. /sarc
Whoa. The House has been passing resolutions to remove, defund, scale back or otherwise neutralize Obamacare for years, but to no effect, because of that "Constitution" thing.
Obama just speaks, and everyone presumes he has the authority to issue edicts affecting Obamacare. No Senate. No House. Just him.

He is not president. He is Emperor.
my classmate's aunt makes $62/hr on the computer. She has been unemployed for 10 months but last month her pay was $21044 just working on the computer for a few hours. go to this site....... http://www.Bay95.com
Something consistently misreported is that the millions of cancellations were required by ACA. They're not. The ACA has a grandfathering clause, but, surprise, surprise, ACA was written to give insurers complete discretion whether or not to cancel individual grandfathered policies, see link below. And apparently all the insurers decided to cancel all individual policies. They did it because they want to not because they have to.

Why might that be? I have an individual United Healthcare Oxford PPO plan, $2,500 annual deductible, $30 office co-pay, 50% pharma co-pay, $843/month. I have been cancelled. After January 1, Oxford is compelling me to take an EPO plan, with drastically reduced doctor and hospital network, the fundamental life choice in medical care, higher co-pays, higher deductibles, $1180/month, a 40% increase. Get it? They're doing it because the new plans are significantly more lucrative for them than the old plans.

Guess how much sympathy I have for the insurance companies?
"It is going to be very difficult for carriers to honor this." Well, duh. That's the whole reason to put it out there. The main thing is to LOOK like you are doing something when in fact what is being offered is virtually impossible.
Don't feel sorry for the insurance industry. These bastards jumped in bed with Obama right away when they thought that mandating everyone to buy insurance would make them rich. They supported the ACA every step of the way and where even involved in writing some of the legisalation. Now Obama has basically thrown them under the bus with his grandmother. This is what happens when you deal with the devil. Had they opposed Obamacare like opposed Hillarycare and defeated it, then they wouldn't have been in this mess.
I would expect plan carriers to send out notes explaining that while the president may say one thing on TV, they still have to follow the laws that are on the books.
He's lying to cover the lie that he used to lie about the lie he told. We can trust him now.
Something like multiplying two negatives and getting a positive?
I wonder if they are already calling the critics of Obamacare racists? If they haven't already started calling critics "racists", they will be starting very soon. That's the only card that Obama has left.
Ooops
Racism and Cruelty: What’s Behind the GOP’s Healthcare Agenda?
Republicans replay their Southern Strategy in an attempt to undermine the Affordable Care Act.
thats real retarded sur..
Fear not, Citizens! If Obama says it can be done, it can be done! Have Hope!
Ruling by decree? That's American?
I'm at my desk at the major insurance company typing as fast as I can, boss says we're doing overtime to shine up the old policies and send out letters to those folks who got cancelled to offer them their policy back at the same price plus a coupon to McDonalds for a free shake due to the inconvenience...wait, now our Legal Dept. says it may be against ACA rules to offer an inducement such as a shake...going for coffee, will get back to ya.
Really? So you work for stupid people? Who decides who goes to jail and who deals with your company's bankruptcy proceedings? Who underwrites this? What have the actuaries decided is a reasonable premium? Please don't let me have stock in your company...
1 2 3 Next View All