The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

October 12, 2013 - 2:02 pm

Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC, is crying foul over a huge increase over a 24 hour period for Fox News prime time shows in the key 25-54 demo.

Monday we had a really good day in the key demographic. On the night that Fox News debuted their three shows, we either tied or beat them in those hours,” Griffin said at a briefing, according to TVNewser.

STORY: Alec Baldwin on New MSNBC Show: ‘As Long as It’s Not Indecent, We Can Say Anything’

“Tuesday — you guys should be doing some investigations; I have never seen it in all my years of cable — same overnight, same everything. And they doubled their ratings in a day? It is impossible.” Griffin continued, “I have never seen it. They did election-night numbers in the demo Tuesday.”

The Nielsen numbers Griffin refers to include MSNBC beating Fox News on Monday in the adults 25-54 demographic at 7 p.m. and tying Fox News at 10 p.m.

At 9 p.m. on Monday, MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show beat Fox News’ new The Kelly File, hosted by Megyn Kelly, by a slim 10,000 viewers in the key demo.

By Tuesday, though, Fox News was back to its dominant self, with 573,000 in the key demo compared with 261,000 for MSNBC between the hours of 8 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Perhaps most dramatically, Kelly’s narrow loss to Rachel Maddow from a night earlier was significantly reversed, with Kelly drawing an audience of 623,000 in the key demo compared with Maddow’s 291,000.

Nielsen has not yet responded to Griffin’s remarks.

On Wednesday, Kelly beat Maddow 384,000 to 299,000 in the key demo, with CNN’s Piers Morgan Live at 117,000. And on Thursday, Kelly beat Maddow 376,000 to 288,000, with Morgan at 157,000.

Nielson hasn’t commented on the outrageous suggestion — and probably won’t. It’s kooky to suggest that the tens of thousands of boxes used by Nielson to gauge ratings were somehow redirected over 24 hours. I suppose it could be a computer glitch at Nielson but you would expect internal controls that would be triggered when such a discrepancy occurred would easily have caught something like that.

Griffin’s real whine is that MSNBC has dramatically changed it’s programming and still can’t make a dent in the lead of Fox News. The ratings troubles at the network highlight just how few liberals have the stomach to watch 4 hours of prime time featuring hectoring, lecturing hosts whose open hate for their political opponents gets tiresome after a while.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

Monday Night Football. No Tuesday or Wednesday Night Football.
Just out of curiosity, which day did Dr. Carson do his debut appearance on Kelly's show?

The reason I ask, I seldom get my news from TV, I prefer the internet, but I did watch the show that night. (Correction, I recorded it and watched it later.)
"The dogs don't like the food."
Megan Kelly is a big talent. MSNBC has a pretty consistent message, regardless of the host/format. Overly emotional Obama hero worship is everywhere, no need to tune in to TV to get more.

I hope Mr. Griffin spends a lot of money on his "investigation', I like to see liberals wasting their own money. It's a nice break from them always wanting to waste mine.
There needs to be an investigation as to why viewers would rather watch some blond eye candy rather than a bitter, ugly dyke ?
MSNBC has been in the ratings basement for years and NOW the network president is worried about nielson numbers?

What's the matter Mr. Griffin, is your job on the line?
Monday Night Football. No Tuesday or Wednesday Night Football.
I normally don't comment here, and certainly don't reply much to other posters.

But, rbj, I gotta tell you: NICE CATCH!

I didn't even notice the nights of the week in the article on first reading it. And even if I had, I doubt I would have considered the effect of Monday Night Football on other Nielson ratings.

For all I know, you could be wrong. But it seems reasonable to me that MNF took some FOX viewers (and certainly some MSNBC viewers as well.) But just noting the thing gets you a thumbs up from me!
I don't think MNF took many viewers from MSNBC. Aren't football fans largely salt-of-the-earth conservatives? Liberals seem to be the soccer type. Or something. I dunno, maybe they stay at home and cook hummus.

One Trackback to “MSNBC President Wants Investigation into Surging Numbers For Fox”