Get PJ Media on your Apple

The PJ Tatler

by
Bridget Johnson

Bio

September 16, 2013 - 9:46 am

WASHINGTON — The chief of the D.C. police said there are still two potential shooters on the loose after one was killed in the mass shooting at the Navy Yard this morning.

Chief Cathy Lanier said that the first call on the shooting came in at 8:15 a.m.

D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray said responding officers “engaged at least one person along the way” and that four wounded were taken from the scene.

“We’re still trying to confirm the number of fatalities involved,” Gray said. “…As far as we know, this was an isolated incident.”

Lanier said they have “one shooter that we believe involved in this that is deceased.” The department is also accounting for “multiple victims inside that are deceased.”

“The big concern,” she said, is two more potential shooters “that we have not located at this point.”

One is described as a white male in his 40s in a khaki military uniform with short sleeves and a beret hat. Lanier said he was last seen at 8:35 a.m. with a handgun. The other is a 5’10″ black male, about 50 years of age with gray sideburns, in an olive-drab-colored, possible military-style uniform, carrying a long gun, the chief said.

“We have no information to believe that either of those individuals are military personnel,” Lanier added.

The White House refused to cancel a lunchtime event marking five years since President Obama put financial-crisis policies in place.

Backdropped by handpicked Americans and saying financial recovery is well under way, Obama opened his comments lauding Obamacare and slamming the rich with a nod to the shooting.

“We’re confronting yet another mass shooting,” Obama said. He added the victims are “patriots” who “know the dangers of serving abroad, but today they face the unimaginable violence that they wouldn’t expect at home.”

“Obviously we’re going to be investigating … as we do so many of these shootings,” Obama said.

UPDATE: Lanier just held a press conference updating the death toll to 12, and a “few additional folks that were injured.”

“I think the actions by the police officers without question helped to reduce the number of lives lost,” she said.

The be-on-the-lookouts for the two suspects are still in force. Text alerts have been sent to residents in the area asking them to stay out of the neighborhood until further notice.

“These are people that we really believe are involved in some way,” the chief said of the suspects. She said the belief that there are still suspects came from “multiple” sources.

Police are keeping details about the shooter who was killed under wraps. “There are very, very few questions we can answer at this point,” Lanier said.

“We’ve not had a day like this since 9/11 for good reason,” D.C. Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) said at the scene. “…I’m really asking everyone to withhold judgment about what happened here.”

UPDATE: The white male has been eliminated as a suspect, per police.

Multiple outlets are reporting that law enforcement officials identified the dead shooter as Aaron Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth, Texas. He recently began working in the area as a civilian contractor. Some outlets are reporting that he used another employee’s access card.

An Aaron Alexis of the same age was arrested in 2010 for reckless discharge of a firearm.

The FBI has taken control of the investigation.

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Comments are closed.

Top Rated Comments   
DHS is already trying to downplay that this might be a terrorist incident. And, wait for it, our President will use this to push for...guess what.....more gun control.
45 weeks ago
45 weeks ago Link To Comment
More "work place violence"?
45 weeks ago
45 weeks ago Link To Comment
Three shooters is not "another mass shooting", dear Muslim Brotherhood President.
It is an attack. Whoever carried it on, if there are three shooters it is an attack.
Thank you for trying to offend our intelligence once more.
45 weeks ago
45 weeks ago Link To Comment
All Comments   (33)
All Comments   (33)
Sort: Newest Oldest Top Rated
Anna. I see what you mean... Alice`s st0ry is something... last tuesday I got a gorgeous Citroën 2CV when I got my cheque for $5209 this-last/five weeks and-a little over, ten/k last munth. it's by-far my favourite work I've ever done. I actually started six months/ago and pretty much straight away started bringing in at least $87, per-hr. website here http://www.wep6.com
Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
I think this was work place violence. That is unless the 2nd shooter is found. Then I will be sure it is terrorism.

How can you confuse a bald headed guy with one that had greying sideburns?

-1 Assailant who had a wig?
-Witness stress?
-Lying witnesses?

Or was there a 2nd shooter?
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
Picture shows a sullen black brute, already in trouble with the law and prone to violence. I think the conclusion we're not supposed to be leaping to isn't "Is he a Muslim?" but "Was he targeting whites?"
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
I'm waiting for the announcement I expect soon that the motive was an internet video.
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
Obama's old friend Bernardine Dohrn must be delighted. In her speech "A Declaration of a State of War" she said, "Guns and grass are united in the youth underground. "
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
Progressives allow yet another mass shooting to occur in a "gun free zone".

The cowardice of progressives leads directly to the death of Americans.

Abolish "gun free zones" before yet another American needlessly dies.
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
President Obama said that the shooters in the DC Navy Yard will be held accountable for their actions. Let's look at his record:

In the Benghazi raid, Obama said that the guilty will be caught and held responsible. It's been a year now and nothing has been done to locate the killers although reporters from CNN had refreshments with them months ago.

Obama said that those guilty in the IRS who broke laws by politically attacking conservative groups. So far, no one has been held accountable.

Obama said those responsible for the Fast and Furious gun running operation will be held accountable. Obama issued a presidential edict to stop all investigation in the DOJ who was behind the gun program.

Facts prove that Obama can't be believed when he says anything. I'll bet he even lies when he tells his golfing partner what his hole-by-hole scores are.

44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
12 dead? Ugh.
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
Now one alleged shooter has been cleared. Obviously anything is possible but the beach blond bimbos and comb over guys are so so frantic to get their mugs on camera that they run hysterical, false narrative that comes down the pike.
44 weeks ago
44 weeks ago Link To Comment
1 2 Next View All