The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

August 13, 2013 - 6:09 pm

Dreary little people.

It’s summertime, which means it’s the perfect occasion to do things like introduce one’s significant other to Doctor Who, starting with the rather nifty arc of the Ninth Doctor, played with melancholy charm by Christopher Eccleston, and overseen by Russell T. Davies. And when we came to the end of “The Parting Of The Ways,” the climactic episode in which the Doctor sacrifices his ninth incarnation to save Rose Tyler (Billie Piper), the shopgirl turned galactic traveler who seized his offer of a different kind of life and endangered herself to keep the example he set for herself alive, I realized precisely why I was so disappointed by the selection of another white guy as the Twelfth Doctor, and showrunner Steven Moffat’s comment to those who would have liked to see a female Doctor that “I would like to go on record and say that the Queen should be played by a man,” a slap at Helen Mirren’s expression of interest in the role.

What follows that are seventeen or eighteen million words (seemed like that many, anyway) that could have easily been replaced with, “I’m a progressive, therefore I am inherently miserable.”

When you have chosen to place an almost religious faith in government, you begin to seek depth in the shallowest of places, like a television show, albeit a very intelligent and good one. And when you’re always manufacturing racism and sexism in even the most benign situations, you will find that the joy gets sucked out of almost everything.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

You know, thinking about it, the Doctor is one of just a very few Ganafreyans to visit earth. I would say that makes him a minority no matter what color he is. It's been quite awhile since I've seen the episodes on Ganafrey but I don't think they came in different colors. They were such an old race that all the colors got bred out of them and they all blended into one.
"very intelligent and good one" while a pretty good show, let's not get ahead of ourselves!
I'm really surprised the whiners aren't whining about the Doctor being straight. He is married to River Song (aka, Melody Pond) after all.
I've been a Whovian since the 80's. Tom Baker was my first Doctor and people back then were iffy about him because the first three Doctors had been older men - like how can you have 800 years old geezer walking around like he's a 20-something?

As for the white-thing. England needs to get over the fact that they are white. They've been importing color into their country for years because they evidently decided they need yet another thing to feel guilty about.

Somehow, somewhere they felt they needed to prove they weren't racist - it's the first thing they accuse others of. They flippantly call Americans racists every chance they get - forgetting that we ARE them. Americans probably fired back that they lacked any color at all in their country, so who were they to judge.
Honestly, last week when they were about to announce who would be playing the next Doctor, I honestly believed for a few seconds that they were going to choose a woman; just to please the PC crowd.
But as we all know there is no pleasing these whiners. If they chose a white woman, they would have been mad that it wasn't a black woman.
"Though it is true the Doctor has not reincarnated as a minority...."

I'm not sure how you're defining minority in your comment but the fact that Doctor Who has always been male makes him a minority, doesn't it? Aren't females slightly more numerous than males in most countries these days?
Oops, this was meant as a reply to perry1949.
As I understand it, Torchwood is a spinoff of Doctor Who. I saw the first few episodes and, as I recall, the lead character, Captain Jack, is not only gay but American, which is a bit surprising for a BBC production since most of their stars are British actors. Now, I'm not sure if Captain Jack is of the same species as Doctor Who but it seems to me he fills at least the same sort of function as Doctor Who, saving the Earth from aliens, so that ought to earn them some affirmative action points.
Captain Jack is human. BTW, Captain Jack isn't strictly gay. He's equal opportunity, wiling to sleep with pretty much any sentient life form. So that should score multiple points with the perpetually, aggrieved progressives.
Actually, the Torchwood lead John Barrowman was born in the UK but grew up in the US so the BBC sort of still had their rear ends covered.
Actually Dr. Who is a progressive and the Aliens are trying to rid the cosmos of the cancer that is humans. You guys should try watching the show from the left side of the screen and it will become readily apparent to you.

Think! People, Think!
The insane race-obsessed minds in the new and depraved science fiction community were all over this one with their sad laments on Twitter.
This reminds me of the silly demands some people are making that the next incarnation of Star Trek include a gay captain.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “ThinkProgress: Doctor Who Is Too White or Something”