The PJ Tatler

Facebook Follies Continue

Facebook removes the same posts, and blocks Michael Z. Williamson again, for which they apologized for removing before.

Charlie Martin

July 25, 2013 - 7:29 am

In today’s exciting episode, Mike Williamson has had the same postings removed again for which Facebook apologized.

they re-removed the same posts…and this is AFTER they apologized for removing them.  This deserves a Wikipedia entry…

Banned for 24 hours this time.

We Removed Something You Posted

We removed this from Facebook because it violates our Community Standards:
  • post
    We Removed Something You Posted
    We removed this from Facebook because it violates our Community Standards:
    I think we can be bigger than the niggardly diggers looking for reasons to be offended. Post with vigor about chiggers and riggers and giggers.~~~~BWUAHAHAhahahahaha

But not banned this time. Yet.

• post
    Chiggers are almost as irritating as Congressmen or Facebook.
  • post
    I understand facebook likes chiggers. I don’t. It’s nothing personal. I believe chiggers have a right to exist. I believe nature has a reason for chiggers. I have never suggested chiggers are less respectable than other arthropods, or that they’re not entitled to exactly the same treatment as others. I just don’t like them personally.And if one were to attack me, I would feel perfectly justified in killing it in self defense.

You’re Temporarily Blocked From Posting

Because this is your second warning, you won’t be able to post anything on Facebook for 24 hours.
Note that your account could be permanently disabled if you continue to post things that violate our terms.

Thanks

I got a reply from Facebook (on background, so I can’t quote them directly) that said they’d already apologized about the Williamson thing, that the “Kill Zimmerman” pages were allowed because he’s a public figure and so the pages are covered under their fair comment policy, and that they have a robust reporting infrastructure with which they encourage people to report offensive posts.

They didn’t answer my fourth question.  I’ve enquired about the new Williamson block and will update when I hear more.

Charlie Martin writes on science, health, culture and technology for PJ Media. Follow his 13 week diet and exercise experiment on Facebook and at PJ Lifestyle

I have a suggestion for facebook. It is likely that some leftists are abusing the report abuse and spam systems, and reporting things that do not deserve to be reported. What facebook should do is if they ban a post, based on this automatic reporting, then retract the ban because it was wrongly banned, a warning should go out to anybody who reported that post for abuse, stating that if they abuse the report abuse system to report things that should nt be reported, the report abuse and spam system will be disabled for some period for them. Then if somebody persists after the warning, their ability to report abuse is disabled for a time. This should stop the abuse of the report abuse and spam system system pretty quickly.
Well, that figgers.

Adults have no business on facebook.
It's sophomoric.
"...the “Kill Zimmerman” pages were allowed because he’s a public figure..."

Only because Trayvon Martin and the media made him so. Facebook is in danger of joining Florida and DOJ as Zimmerman lawsuit defendants.
Facebook is currently ensconced in Menlo Park (mainly) and now being a West-Coast frat-house techie group may be utterly unaware that "chiggers" are a kind of East Coast biting bug, since they don't exist in BayArea California...
They exist in most of the sub-Arctic world. You may not see many there, but they exist.

One of the bannings was for pointing out that chiggers are found on every continent and should not be stereotyped as all the same.
My suspicion is (since it happened to me) that someone complains about a post and FB automatically accepts the complaint as accurate. FB give you a place to email to ask for a review, but no one ever seems to look at that queue.

The net is that lefties use this massive hole in FB to ban people who post things they don't like. It may be time to get a vast right wing conspiracy to after a whole slew of lefty FB postings to get FB off its duff and actually check things out with a human and not a computer.
It's the standard lefty playbook on any site that has the "Report Abuse" system that will hide a comment after some number of reports and ban a commenter after some number of reports. In places it is clearly an organized effort using a phone or email tree to mobilize some group to go in and report a post. It is impossible for any conservative to post comments to the Anchorage Daily News here; it is exclusively for lefties and if you post anything that issn't lockstep lefty cant the "Report abuse" swings into action and your post disappears and after it happens a few times your account disappears.

I don't know why this site has the "feature" because while it's handy for eliminating the "I made $10K at home" SPAM, it also gets used by people, unfortunately of all poltical stripes, to suppress comments or commenters they don't like.
"the “Kill Zimmerman” pages were allowed because he’s a public figure"

Somehow, I suspect that not all public figures are equal in the application of this rule.
Y'think?
Yes, stupid people who think "chigger" is a racial slur can get you banned from Facebook. But be careful tweaking the idiots on Facebook. Those same stupid people can also get you thrown in jail for several months. Ask Justin Carter about that.