The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

July 17, 2013 - 3:19 pm

A few months back, Vice President Joe Biden advised Americans who feared criminals to buy a shotgun and fire two warning shots if they felt themselves under any threat.

“Buy a shotgun, buy a shotgun,” the vice president encouraged those worried about defending themselves. He was speaking in an online video as part of a Facebook town hall hosted by Parents Magazine on the administration’s strategy for reducing gun violence, which he has led at the direction of President Barack Obama.

Biden said he keeps two shotguns and shells locked up at home and he’s told his wife, Jill, to use them if she needs protection. He presumably was speaking about before he became vice president, a position that gives the couple full-time Secret Service protection.

“I said, `Jill, if there’s ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony … take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,”‘ Biden said.

Well, 52-year-old Jeffery Barton of Vancouver, WA claims that he was following that advice when he chased away a pair of suspected thieves.

Jeffery Barton, 52, pleaded not guilty to one count of illegal aiming or discharging a firearm at his arraignment in Clark County Court.

Barton reportedly admitted to deputies that he fired his weapon while chasing away people who he thought were breaking into his vehicles at 5804 NE 124th St. in the early morning hours Monday.

Deputies are investigating whether a large teen party that got out of control at a neighbor’s home may have been linked to the shooting. However, at this point, deputies have said there was no evidence of prowlers on Barton’s property.

Outside the courtroom Wednesday, Barton cited the vice president in defense of his actions.

“I did what Joe Biden told me to do,” Barton told KOIN. “I went outside and fired my shotgun in the air.”

Maybe the vice president should be called to give expert testimony in the case. Following his advice by firing warning shots usually ends up where Mr. Barton is, facing charges in court.

My bad. I'm not familiar with that part of the world and missed the ",WA" part. I always thought that Vancouver was in British Columbia. I've never been there.

Nonetheless. The guy followed Biden's advice and deserves everything that's coming to him.
I rather suspect that in reality the guy reacted without thinking about anything that Biden said, and the defense is just an afterthought. But a good one. Not for getting off, but as wonderful political theater.

If he is a Leftist [and this is Vancouver, Washington], he may be serious in that afterthought, and believe that a statement by a Democrat politician can be used as life guidance. As noted, he deserves what he gets, and it will be a public demonstration of Darwin.

Or he may not be a Leftist, and be seriously using this opportunity for political theater. Imagine the fun of a court ruling that public statements of the Federal Executive Branch do not over ride statutory law. It would be worth the defendant appealing over and over to higher courts and getting beaten each time just to get it into precedent.

Mr. Preston, please keep an eye on this case. It has great potential for "confusion to the enemy".

That is, of course, making the assumption that the defendant and his attorney are not discreetly contacted by the Federal government and told that if they do not lay down and roll over; they will be treated by the IRS, the NSA, and Homeland Security like they are Republican candidates.

Subotai Bahadur
Vancouver ain't Portland.

I wouldn't assume reflexive leftism (hell, even Portland's more like 60:40 at worst).
Washington state, west of the central mountains, is hard core Leftist and that is what drives Democrat victories there [and vote fraud, can't forget the vote fraud]. I have heard nothing to indicate that Vancouver is any different. Is it a conservative enclave? I'd be really glad to get evidence of that. But even if it was 50-50, that is a 50% chance that Barton is a moonbat; said odds downgraded by the fact that he owns an "evil firearm".

Subotai Bahadur
How confused is the law when you're more likely to get into trouble firing a warning shot rather than just shooting the potential perp?
Bullets (or in this case shot) go somewhere when you fire.

A warning shot is a reckless discharge, especially in a city.

Fire only when doing so is necessary to safeguard life and limb - and fire to end the threat.

A "warning shot" doesn't meet either of those criteria.

(The only place a "warning shot" has any potential place is perhaps in a military or riot control context, when the idea is that it prevents either a massacre or a major diplomatic incident; the costs analysis swings the other way than in a personal defense situation.)
I would think of it as being punished for leaving the problem for other people to solve, rather than taking care of it yourself.
It's not confused at all. Firing a gun is deadly force, and you should only use it when it's necessary. A "warning shot" pretty much means that you believe the situation doesn't warrant shooting anybody, but that means you shouldn't be shooting the gun at all.

One of the basic rules of gun safety is that you only fire your gun at something you intend to destroy. When you fire a "warning shot," you pretty much have no idea where the bullet is going to end up, and that's DANGEROUS and IRRESPONSIBLE. Shots fired into the air eventually come back down, and they come back down at pretty close to the same velocity they left the gun with.

Leave warning shots to the movies and TV shows, where they're fictional and can't actually hurt anybody. :)
I'm going to miss Biden. He routinely out-Quayle's Dan Quayle.
Nope. The TurboTax defense didn't work, and this won't either.

They say that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Neither is listening to your own elected representatives, I guess.

So tell me -- do you miss GWB yet? At least HIS Vice President knew what to do with a shotgun!
Following the advice of anyone in the Obama regime, and in particular, a moron like Joe Biden, is criminally stupid. Just another example of why Liberals should not be allowed to dictate policy on Second Amendment issues.
Followed Biden's advice?

Throw the book at him, stupid Canuck.
Clark County, as well as the city of Vancouver, is in Washington state, just across the Columbia River from Portland, OR. Barton is, in all probability, an American citizen.
This exemplifies why referring to Vancouver without specifying when it's the city across the river from Portland, Oregon instead of the Canadian city north of Seattle, is kind of negligent.

Yes, the body of the post specifies, but some people only read headlines.

Me either. I'm one of those geeks who loved geography when I was a kid. My wife jokes that I can look at a map once and have it committed to memory.
There are two cities named Vancouver; one is in Washington state, and the other is in British Columbia, which is a province of Canada. This confuses a lot of people unless the exact location is specifically mentioned. Once, in Vancouver, WA, I met a couple who had driven up from Southern California. They actually thought they were in Canada.
Reminds me of the time I went to Rome, GA and went looking for the Vatican.
Well, they do have a Parthenon in Athens, Tennessee.
Uncle Joe sent you?