The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

July 1, 2013 - 3:06 pm

This just released by WikiLeaks:

One week ago I left Hong Kong after it became clear that my freedom and safety were under threat from my government for revealing the truth. My continued liberty has been owed to the efforts of friends new and old, family, and others who I have never met and probably never will. I trusted them with my life and they returned that trust with a faith in me for which I will always be thankful.

On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic “wheeling and dealing” over my case. Yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me.

For decades the United States of America have been one of the strongest defenders of the human right to seek asylum. Sadly, this right, laid out and voted for by the U.S. in Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, is now being rejected by the current government of my country. The Obama administration has now adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon. Although I am convicted of nothing, it has unilaterally revoked my passport, leaving me a stateless person. Without any judicial order, the administration now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right. A right that belongs to everybody. The right to seek asylum.

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.

Edward Joseph Snowden

Monday 1st July 2013

In response to news that Snowden has applied for asylum in Russia, among at least a dozen other countries, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee called on the Kremlin to hand over the NSA leaker.

“Edward Snowden should return to the United States on his own volition or be returned home to face espionage charges,” said Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.). “His alleged actions are of the utmost sensitivity to our national security and hiding out in Russia would be highly inconsistent with the principles he claims to defend by seeking asylum in a country that stifles the opinions of its own people. I call on President Putin to work with the Obama Administration to assist in his return to the United States.”

At a press conference in Tanzania today, Obama said “we have gone through regular law enforcement channels in enforcing the extradition request that we’ve made with respect to Mr. Snowden.”

“And that’s been true with all the countries that have been involved, including Russia. And so, there have been high-level discussions with the Russians about trying to find a solution to the problem,” he continued.

“We don’t have an extradition treaty with Russia. On the other hand, Mr. Snowden, we understand, has traveled there without a valid passport, without legal papers. And we are hopeful that the Russian government makes decisions based on the normal procedures regarding international travel and the normal interactions that law enforcement have. So I can confirm that.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

The fact tha Obama became senator and POTUS by deception and still to this day has NEVER been vetted - but has spent millions hiding his identity - gives him no authority whatsoever to call Snowden a traitor of any kind. The Founders called people like Obama, "usurpers" and gave us plenty of warning that these things would occur if we did not maintain fidelity to our Constitution. Snowden IS scaring this administration; calling them out and showing them to be a bunch of morons at this point.
God speed Ed Snowden to the free people of the world you are a true hero; ignore the dirt ball whoremaster American politician mendendez who steals our money so that he can spend it on his whoring and boozing; he is the typical American democrat.
Regardless of how one feels about his guilt or innocence after watching the O J Simpson trial, Conrad Black and a few others I can fully understand his reluctance to come home and have anything to do with American "Justice". American "Justice" has become a media sideshow, a legal circus and a National disgrace.
My hope is that he continues for quite some time to keep this administrations fumbling in the public's eye.
Well well.

Without drum beating and trumpet blowing from establishment Media apparatchiks THIS "whistleblower" aka "leaker" of secret government information is NOT a hero.

No Jack Anderson with followers Wood-Stein and Benjamin Bradlee's Washington Post to alert and rally citizens to the dangers to the nation
of THIS Executive BH Obama. Despite his daily lawless sneering disregard for the LAW protecting the rights of citizens.

THIS leader with his lackeys and minions measures power of the Office of Executive of the USA - with virtually no effective resistance or objection from members of the Congress and Judiciary - against a single relatively powerless citizen who dares provoke questions about the worthiness of THIS administration and its management personnel.

An elephant stomping on a flea.

That "elephant in the room" THIS Executive who secreted documents immediately on taking the chair. WHAT documents? WHY secreted? Not behaviour important enough for Congress and Judiciary to examine. "Not their department"?

Where are the "Woodsteins" waiting in the wings for their chance at stardom?

It's DIFFERENT this time. Not like that other "leaker of secret information" in that administration of that Executive of a PROVEN lawful POTUS. Who ended the War in Asia started and escalated by "Democratic" Presidents JF Kennedy and LB Johnson.

A war for what reason? Costing what in blood and treasury? One of the "democrats "who refused "service to the nation" by exemption with special status as college student later honoured by other special status citizens of that generation with the highest civic honour in their gift. Not once, but even after being impeached by a Congress of "Honourables", some less than honourable, elected again.

Does anyone remember ,it's all so long ago so ancient history irrelevant to the modern world, the name of the man who started establishment media crusade to unseat a lawfully elected POTUS because of long running animus to him personally?

Yes they continue to beat their breasts at their "search for truth" after the leaking of the Pentagon Papers. But the name of the man who leaked them is long relegated backstage

Is Edward Snowden not to be honoured by the establishment Media and "compassionate liberals", seekers of truth, with the same heroic status as Daneil Ellsberg?

I have so many feelings when I read Snowdens statement. It brings tears to my eyes, I am moved but I am also appalled, furious. This young man is extremely courageous and has done something of utmost importance for all of us. He has opened our eyes. The Obama government has reacted in an appalling way. We all realize that US under this regime no longer is the land of the free, the defender of human rights . And Obama himself , that pompous, deceptive, horrible person, may he be the one on the run very soon. Good luck, Snowden, I hope you find a country with leaders brave enough to stand up against Obamas bully regime.
The Incompetent , Unqualified , Racist USURPER and his REGIME have been telling us for YEARS that there is no 'War on Terror' and they even refuse to use the words Terrorist and Muslim in the same sentence.
So exactly WHO are they and the NSA spying on - why YOU and ME of course thats who.
OK, I'll admit it. I like this guy. I generally don't like leakers on national security matters but I am pretty well convinced that our three letter agencies have become bureaucracies who's priority is their own welfare as bureaucracies rather than performing the task that they were created for. But I believe the job still needs to be done while also believing that congressional oversight has been subverted by these agencies. I am far from convinced that they are very effective despite their massive power and I am far from convinced that are NOT being used politically. I think we are looking at both regime corruption and bureaucratic corruption here. And I think Snowdon has attacked the latter very effectively. I don't know yet if I think he has done it properly. What he had done is certainly illegal. I am not convinced that he has sold secrets to anyone, but that he has certainly put himself in much jeopardy of giving material up just to survive. As an old techie I am not surprised by anything that has come out so far from Snowdon. I understand the 4th Amendment implications well enough and know that Internet security is not an easy task for any government in the present environment. I am however surprised by Fast and Furious and the IRS scandal. I see Benghazi and the denial of its obvious implications as simply a presidential policy failure similar to other difficulties like Iran Contra. Somalia, or Iraq. Presidents screw up and wont admit it. But using government agencies politically to the extent this administration evidently has is something I have not see since Watergate.
Far beyond Watergate. Nixon was no where near as corrupt as this regime.
If there were justice in the world, Snowden would be living it up in the White House and Obama and his N-Stasi-A criminals would be in hiding, maybe somewhere in North Korea, in a dark cave. subsisting on grass.
Whatever motivated Snowden is neither here nor there. And if he sells secrets to other nations, then he needs to face American justice. HOWEVER, he is precisely correct that Obama Inc is TERRIFIED of being found out. How so? http://adinakutnicki.com/2013/06/09/a-political-dissidents-list-dhs-insider-confirms-the-true-intent-of-nsas-spying-commentary-by-adina-kutnicki/

Now what Obama's goons are doing is a perversion of the original mandate given to NSA under Bush, one which is meant to protect the people. And herein lies the crux. A regime mired in Benghazigate, IRSgate, DOJgate, Fast&furiousgate, and so on, has no (trustworthy) legs to stand on!

Adina Kutnicki, Israel http://adinakutnicki.com/about/
The Obama administration is not afraid of the American people.
This administration hates half of the American people; conservatives, whites, libertarians...those whom the fascist Valerie Jarrett called "the enemy."
This administration has nothing but contempt for the other half of the American people; their voting base...minorities in particular. They are Obama's "useful idiots", for whom he and his ilk do nothing.
The only problem I have with all the data collection is it's only a handful of steps away from being abused heavily. I don't relish a government having that sort of data. It's the sort of thing the KGB, Stasi, and other secret police used but in digital form. Heck, the Stasi had scent samples in jars of many citizens so they could use dogs to track them. Now all you need is some radioactive signature tracing dust and you can track anyone from orbit. The technology exists to collect all that data but to connect the dots takes a lot of processing power. Keeping the data long term allows for 20/20 hindsight as other intelligence points in a new direction; all that data can then be laser focused and can become extremely valuable.
American justice would be like an old west quickie trial with a lynching before sundown. Where are all the hanging judges? Love to see a Seal team hoodwink this guy and have him wake up in a secret jail on an oil rig. One days trial for treason and his boots dangling before sunset. Body buried at sea without a trace. I suppose it's that sort of thinking that has him first running to China and now hiding in Russia. Course, you just know both countries cloned his media storage devices, er um security check. He had me just before he skipped the country and gave covert intelligence information to our enemies. He could have stayed here stepped down from his role and filed grievances with the Senate committees. I bet he's regretting opening pandora's box. I guess we are in serious need of intelligence staff post 911 where we go and hire high school dropouts as contractors who would have failed security background checks for a full time position. Perhaps we rely on the contractor instead of our own standards. Hmm, that's how felons get employed in the private sector. The contractors are supposed to vet their employees but frequently, the vetting is not performed.
I think you deserve a high position in the Obama Reich. You certainly have the right attitude for it.
1 2 3 Next View All