The PJ Tatler

Stephen Green

May 22, 2013 - 9:34 am

Here’s the latest:

“I have not done anything wrong. I have not broken any laws,” Lois Lerner, head of the IRS tax-exempt unit, told the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

“I have not violated any IRS rules or regulations, and I have not provided false information to this or any congressional committee,” she said. “Because I am asserting my right not to testify, I know that some people will assume that I have done something wrong. I have not.”

That Lerner chose to give an opening statement before asserting her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination angered some lawmakers.

You can be certain that statement comes with an expiration date.

Meanwhile, Ezra Klein has bravely declared that “heads should roll” at the IRS:

Put simply, firing civil servants takes a long time, creates a lot of hassle for management, and needs to be for cause. If it’s not for cause, the termination can be overturned, and the entire process would be for naught. This can lead to excessive reluctance on the part of management to go through the trouble of firing anyone. But what remains unclear in the IRS case is whether the directors even wanted to fire anyone.

In other words, Ezra’s “brave” declaration comes with plenty of room for (Administration-approved?) foot-dragging.

It’s gonna be a long, hot summer.

Popcorn?

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

The Obama low-information administration. When a scandal hits the news, they know nothing!
She should have just walked in, been sworn in, declare she is taking the Fifth, and sat silently.

I think Ms. Lerner's opening statement is the most damning. She did no wrong, she broke no laws, but she has to take the Fifth.
Then she proceeds to answer questions!

Lois, sweetie, where did you go to law school? You should ask for a refund.
Wouldn't doubt it was scripted exactly the way it came out. Create a legal technicality distraction... heartless Republicans won't even let her assert her rights (after all we know that was her intent!), when will the witch hunt end with all these hearings? etc etc
Didn't she already admit she did something wrong? What was the "apology" for?
Hey, the mobsters who took the Fifth in the 1950s didn't do nothing wrong neither. And if you say otherwise, well accidents do happen.
The mobsters did not file their tax returns for their illegal gains.

Wonder if Lerner was one of those who forgot to pay her taxes in the last few years? Wonder if Attorney-Sergeant Schultz's Justice Dept. was going to hound her with tax evasion?

Answer my own questions: don't know, and no.