The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

April 18, 2013 - 3:30 pm

If you look up the word “humble” in the dictionary, you will not, under any circumstances, see a picture of Geraldo Rivera there. Ever.

This is from Gerry’s radio show, April 12, 2013.

RIVERA: I am firmly convinced, I mentioned this to you earlier this morning, that when my talk show went on the air in 1988 in the Soviet Union, before the fall of the Wall, that helped accelerate the process, it was first my talk show and then Joan Rivers joined me on the air in the Soviet Union. Can you imagine …

WABC RADIO ANNOUNCER NOAM LADEN: How did you even get on there?

RIVERA: Because they were reaching out. They were taking tentative steps and my syndicator, the Tribune Company, reached out to them, they bought the show which was, you know, seen throughout Latin America, it was dubbed in Spanish, it was dubbed in all sorts of different languages, and they dubbed it in Russian. It was shown on Moscow TV and in other places. So here you had it with the advertisements for washing machines and, you know, for new cars and, you know, all of the things that you advertise in a daytime talk show. And I’m sure that the audiences looking at this stuff saying, hmm, I wish I had a washing machine like that. Hmm, I wish I had a color TV like that …

And that, kids, is what brought about Glasnost and the end of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. Not SDI, not deploying missiles in Europe, not Reagan challenging Gorbachev to “tear down this wall,” not Lech Walesa’s Solidarity or the alliance between the US, the Vatican and the UK. Not any of that at all.

‘Twas Al Capone’s vault and “men who fear the bicycle bar” that killed the beast.

They promised to surrender if only we'd take his show off the air.
Gerry can't read. Gerry can't think. Gerry is stuck in a permanent loop of self delusion. He is the poster child for the narcissism that lives in the progressive school of journalistism.

Sadly, for Gerry, posterity will view him as the same type of opportunistic flack as was Walter Duranty, who begat Walter Cronkite.

The truth is, millions of Americans, who served without a lot of recognition over more than 4 decades, ground down the Soviets until they had no options but to collapse. It took a Reagan, who had the will to press at the end of it, to finally trigger that collapse. Geraldo Rivera? Not so much.
Well, as a famous Soviet citizen said (in a slightly different context): "Victory has a thousand fathers; defeat is an orphan." (Stalin)
If Gerry River . . . . . err . . . . "Geraldo Rivera" wnats to claim extraordinary credit for anyhing, it is his supposed "role" in helping to cause the mentally ill to be released from institutions. One result of his actions was Adam Lanza and Sandy Hook.

Well, actually that's a real stretch, but that is my point. His taking credit for helping to end the Cold War is an even bigger stretch.
There was the "Dallas" effect, when the soap Dallas was shown on TV in Eastern bloc countries. I think JR and Bobby Ewing had more to do with the downfall of the Soviet Union that Geraldo.

But come on, if a personality like Geraldo didn't exist, someone would have to create him. Clueless, and on the air for the past 4 decades? America, what a country!
The thing I take away from Rivera is that his career reflects the ethnic polarization and politicization that has taken place in America in the last 30 years or so. Rivera used to downplay his ethnicity and present himself as just another American.

Now he pretends as if he was forced to do that by non-white-hating America even as he has sucked at the breast of its audience. Most disturbing is the way his obvious ethnic bias pollutes his train of thought. As is usual with PC racialist nuthatches, they are themselves the very thing they hate and have as much credibility when it comes to notions of the greater good as a cat does with tuna. The very people who claim our Constitution has not been lived up to are the very people incapable of ever creating such a document let alone preserving its principles. I know that cuz they haven't and don't.
WABC is running an ad for Rivera's show that I find funny. He's schooling a call-in listener that he can no longer use the term 'illegal immigrant" - the call-in tells Rivera "well why don't you just give us a list of acceptable terms". You have to hear it to appreciate it. It slams Rivera in a way that Rivera doesn't even 'get'.

I guess the old adage that stupid people don't know they're stupid is true.

I've yet to hear Rivera's apologies to the Duke Lacrosse players after brutally ripping them for their 'rape' of that stripper only hours after the facts of the event were made public and before much was really known. I happened to be watching him as he gleefully sunk his fangs into those guys. It was those guys that got 'raped' - and Rivera was happily on hand to help - and only because the Duke players were white. Fact is Rivera is a racist. And this guy thinks he has a snowballs chance in hell of becoming the next Republican Senator from New Jersey? I'm hoping the citizens of New Jersey are smarter than that.
And this great exploit hasn't been turned into a great spectacular blockbuster motion picture starring Ryan Reynolds as Geraldo and Jessica Chastain as Joan. How could Hollywood have missed this golden opportunity. Hey, maybe, it's not too late....
They promised to surrender if only we'd take his show off the air.
I'm guessing that the Politburo put his show on the air thinking it would turn the Soviet population away from "Western" television. It just couldn't compete with the efforts of Ronald Reagan showing the people of the benefits of Capitalism and freedom.
I did find his picture under "sphincter", though.