The PJ Tatler

Stephen Green

April 4, 2013 - 4:54 am

Sad:

The Walt Disney Company is to shut down LucasArts, the games developer responsible for the Star Wars series of games.

The company plans to licence the Star Wars games brand to other developers…

“Both current Star Wars games projects have been halted,” Mr Perkins confirmed.

Full Throttle, Sam & Max, TIE Fighter, and Civilization pretty much defined gaming for me in the ’90s. All but Civ were created by LucasArts.

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

From what I've read elsewhere, LucasArts will stick around in some form as a Star Wars game-licensing outfit. So the "Star Wars: The Old Republic" MMO is exactly what Disney/LA wants; Bioware spends the time and money to develop and publish the game while LA cashes the license check. Profit !
I don't care. Having said that, how many jobs were lost? And, why doesn't the entire staff of LucasArts start their own business? Buy the 'puters from Disney for a pittance and call their new business "DisneySucksArts". Then apply for the license to continue to write the games.

By the way, "Remember me" doesn't.
What browser are you using? I find that Chrome holds my logon much more reliably than Safari does, but I don't know if that's just me or if it's also true for others.
Darn. I was hoping they'd bring back the Monkey Island series. That seems right up Disney's alley.
Also "Outlaws", a very well-executed Spaghetti Western-style FPS shooter.
It's kind of hard to blame them. Once upon a time, the Oldsmobile was a great car.