January 15, 2013 - 12:21 am
- Al-Shabaab Tweets Commando’s Body as Admin ‘Celebrates’ Progress in Somalia, by Bridget Johnson. A day after Obama notified Congress under the War Powers Resolution, Washington wasn’t talking about U.S. assistance in a failed French raid.
- What We Talk About When We Talk About Guns, by Andrew Klavan. A few thoughts on preventing the Hobbesian war of all against all.
- Understanding Israel’s January 22 Election, by Barry Rubin. As usual, international reporting on Israeli politics couldn’t be less accurate.
- It’s Come to This, by Ed Driscoll. Going clear: The Atlantic runs — and then pulls — an infomercial for Scientology disguised as an article.
- Are You Grateful for the Products That Make Your Life Better? By Walter Hudson. An ode to my coveted Samsung Galaxy S III.
- Why Republicans Should Reject Jack Lew’s Nomination (and Why We Won’t), by David P. Goldman. Lew’s chicanery during his tenure at Citigroup makes him the perfect Treasury secretary for a president like Barack Obama.
- Is Chicago’s Out-Of-Control Murder Rate Connected to Its Sanctuary City Policies? By Bryan Preston. Gang activity is driving the violence. What business do gangs engage in? Also read: Sen. Joe Manchin puts ‘everything’ on the table if Congress considers new gun laws.
- How Do You Know the Left Is Nervous? When You Hear ‘McCarthyism,’ by Ron Radosh. That old last resort appears among Chuck Hagel’s defenders.