Pair this up with Gen. Dempsey’s phone call to Terry Jones on Wednesday. If this report is correct, then what, exactly, is the status of free speech in America?
The US prosecutor-general said on Wednesday that four people were being questioned after Tuesday’s events.
Nine Coptic Egyptian-Americans were also put on an airport watch list. They are believed to have contributed to the production of the anti-Islam film that led to the embassy protest.
The US doesn’t have a “prosecutor-general.” We have an attorney general, and a lousy one at that, but there’s been no stir so far from the DOJ that I’m aware of to question anyone connected to the film. But then again, the US press might simply choose not to report such a story if it’s happening.
Frankly, it would not be out of character for this administration. But since the report came from Al Jazeera, take it with a pound of salt.
Federal authorities have identified a southern California man once convicted of financial crimes as the key figure behind the anti-Muslim film that ignited mob violence against U.S. embassies across the Mideast, a U.S. law enforcement official said Thursday.
Attorney General Eric Holder said that Justice Department officials had opened a criminal investigation into the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other diplomats killed during an attack on the American mission in Benghazi. It was not immediately clear whether authorities were focusing on the California filmmaker as part of that probe.
A federal law enforcement official said Thursday that Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, was the man behind “Innocence of Muslims,” a film denigrating Islam and the Prophet Muhammad that sparked protests earlier in the week in Egypt and Libya and now in Yemen. U.S. authorities are investigating whether the deaths of U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans in Libya came during a terrorist attack.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation…
One word: Chilling.