Spengler

Sunny with Light Missile Cover Here in Tel Aviv

July 10th, 2014 - 1:38 am

Sunny with light missile cover in Tel Aviv this morning. I awoke to muffled thuds in the distance, Iron Dome shooting down Syrian-made missiles launched from Gaza, according to news reports. I attended the obligatory morning mixer for hotel guests at the bomb shelter, which fortunately lasted only five minutes before the all-clear sounded. I’ll write something more comprehensive on this soon — Tablet is scheduled to run my essay next Monday — but the thumbnail version is that Hamas is making a demonstration out of weakness. Money is tight, 44,000 Gaza civil servants haven’t been paid for weeks, and the IDF did significant damage to its infrastructure on the West Bank after the kidnapping-murder of the three yeshiva boys. Netanyahu will look indecisive and confused, because he has to deal with an openly hostile U.S. administration on one side and his nationalist camp on the other. Time, though, is on Israel’s side: economically, demographically, strategically. The proportion of Jewish births continues to soar. The fruits of a decade of venture capital investing are ripening into high-valuation companies. And the Arab world is disintegrating all around Israel’s borders.

I have no idea whether the IDF will go into Gaza on the ground, or what they will do if they do so: that’s a tricky cost-benefit calculation, and no-one outside the government has relevant information. But the broader point is that Israel will win a war of attrition. Hamas has shot off hundreds of rockets (including one that landed a few kilometers from me up north in Zichron Yaakov while I had lunch there yesterday) without causing a single injury. Iron Dome has worked brilliantly. Traffic was a bit lighter than normal last night, but there wasn’t a free table at any of the hundred or so cafe terraces on Dizengoff St., Tel Aviv’s main drag.

There will be no Intifada on the West Bank: the Palestinian Arabs are older, more resigned and less inclined to destroy their livelihoods than in 2000. Syria and Iraq continue to disintegrate, Lebanon is inundated with Syrian Sunni refugees (weakening Hezbollah’s relative position), and Jordan is looking to Israel to protect it against ISIS. Egypt is busy trying to survive economically.

I was in Israel just a year ago and the images of all the places under red alert are clear in my mind. I wish I could be there now, just to stand with its citizens. Thank you for your report. Prayers for the IDF and the IAF and all Israelis.
1 week ago Link To Comment
My wife, brother, sister in law and I just returned from a 2 week trip to Israel and I can second Mr. Goldman's comments (we missed the missile attacks, though). The hotels and restaurants were packed. Tourists were everywhere. There was a surprisingly large number of tourists from Africa and India, something I didn't expect. Multinationals are tripping over each other to invest in Israel and access it's highly educated workforce. I've never seen so many construction cranes, they were everywhere you looked. Nor have I seen so many pregnant women and young families.

Israel is a thriving, dynamic country. You could feel the energy crackling in the air. We could learn a thing or two from them.
1 week ago Link To Comment
Obama had no trouble sending Robert Malley to meet with Hamas on a prior occasion, yet I'm not aware of a single statement by this administration directed at Hamas.

The dim-witted Psaki has made some incoherent mumbling drivel about Hamas not being a part of the technocrat portion of Abbas' government. I can only guess that means that they are only in the muscle end of the business...

The shame that most Americans feel for the way Rashid Khalidi's dinner partner and his cabal treat Israel is hard to bear. You wouldn't know it from our execrable media or from the tapes of ObamaKhalidi they kidnap and hold hostage from view.

But overwhelmingly our thoughts and prayers are with the Israeli people. BDS is a waste of one letter.

Israel is flourishing business-wise. We are not. The day is coming where Israel will find a more reliable ally. And America will be the worse for that. And our shame will be replaced by something graver indeed.
1 week ago Link To Comment
There is something that must be said and repeated often. This conflict has proven, once and for all that, for the Palestinians, Jerusalem is not a holy city. You don't bomb a city you consider holy. And for those who claim that the city is holy to the Palestinians that live here? Here is proof that that is a lie as well.

1 week ago Link To Comment
I guess the question is whether it's possible to unseat Hamas without driving tanks into Gaza. If that were the case, if it were possible to let Hamas topple under its own weight that would be the thing to do. Even if it takes a while. I'm guessing that this won't be possible. They will have to be forced to run with the IDF on their tails.

Bibi seems to be taking this very deliberately but I believe that he will get to the end. The terrorists always over-reach and have their a$$es handed to them.
from your mouth, David

we need hope
1 week ago Link To Comment
Even after the snake crawls back into its hole it's still a threat; kill it while you can.
1 week ago Link To Comment
Keep it up, Israel, and ignore Obama's gum-flapping. No one on the world stage respects him any longer.
1 week ago Link To Comment
Given the "Arab models" what's a Pali to do? It's over for them as everyone is more worried about ISIS, Syria, Iraq, Libya, Egypt, Turkey ... and Iran.
1 week ago Link To Comment
When a guy who calls himself Spengler talks like an optimist, take note!
1 week ago Link To Comment
I think Israel has already "pivoted" toward Asia. The outreach to China and Japan indicate that Israel is ready to flip Europe "the bird" regarding it's BDS movement. Hopefully, President Clinton will understand the need to "reset" with Israel in 2017. Her husband is still smarting from the rejection of his 2001 offering of Palestinian statehood by the PLA.
1 week ago Link To Comment
Please, don't even mention anything like, " President Clinton".
Brilliant
Mr. Goldman -
I would love to share your optimism, as all you say is true. But this 'war' is being fought politically instead of being fought to win. Over confidence can be deadly.

1 week ago Link To Comment
All of the mideast wars and flareups and intifadas since the 1973 Yom Kippur war have been fought politically, and Israel has won clearly by remaining in existence, and becoming the most successful and dynamic economy in the Middle East.

The Arabs, Iranians, Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, Hezbollah et al have clearly lost their political wars. Not only did they fail to extinguish Israel and the Jewish state, but they have impoverished themselves for generations of misery.

There is no overconfidence in Mr. Goldman's post - he is just reporting the facts.
1 2 3 Next View All