Roger L. Simon

Looking for Mr. or Ms. ‘Perfect Republican’

May 16th, 2014 - 9:11 pm

If I were a politician, I hope I’d be ruthless.

If I weren’t, I’d be a certain loser. Everyone I ever met it in that profession was far from a choirboy.  The village priest is not likely to be able to stand up to the likes of, say, Harry Reid, which is only about a couple of degrees short of standing up to Saddam. I wish it were otherwise, but that’s the truth.  You don’t have to be David Axelrod or Karl Rove to know that.

That famous remark attributed to Truman — “If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen” — is famous for a reason.

So, egotistical as I may be, on the very few occasions people have talked to me about running for office, flattered as I may have been, I have just rolled my eyes. I have to be honest. I couldn’t take it.

But speaking of rolling my eyes, that’s what I did when I read an article here on PJ Media about Eric Cantor, alleging  the minority leader’s campaign people were threatening (not actually doing, as far as I know, but threatening) to bankrupt Republican coffers in Cantor’s Virginia district to weaken his Tea Party primary adversary.

In other words, as they say in Casablanca, I was “shocked, shocked” to learn there was hardball being played by a professional politician.

(Well, minor league hardball anyway, because that’s what it was here. Actually I’d be really shocked to learn that hardball wasn’t being played by politicians from any party — Democrat, Republican or Whig.  I wish Romney had played more in 2012. We wouldn’t be in the pickle we’re in.)

Which leads me to a larger point.  Coming into this epochal political season, how do we judge politicians and candidates?

The problem people have with RINOs is that they are really only R's during the election. You can say,"well, at least they're not D's," but if they won't act as a bulwark against D programs, then what have you gained by electing them? And if by electing them, we delay the progress of the real R's by 1 or 2 elections (or, if experience is a guide, by forever), then what have we accomplished?

Seriously, if we slow down the process so it takes the Democrats 8 years to implement their 5 year plan, but in so doing guarantee that the plan will eventually be implemented, then what have we accomplished?

Enough with the short term, next election thinking. The Tea Partiers and the Democrats are playing a bigger game. If only the realists would face reality...
The problem with the whole "perfection" analysis that we have been hearing and reading about lately is that no one has asked, or is asking, any Republican to be perfect. They are being asked to not be Democrats and they are failing even at that.

Foreign policy in the Middle East is not more important than our domestic troubles for the idiotically simple reason that unless our domestic problems are solved there will be no meaningful United states foreign policy.
>>>Coming into this epochal political season, how do we judge politicians and candidates?<<<

Do their actions match up with their promises. We know that Democrats will betray us, the country, and the Constitution; three times before breakfast. The old Democrats who were patriotic enough to have politics stop at the water's edge have not existed for over a generation. The only thing that is Democratic about the Democrats is their devotion to the Leninist doctrine of "Democratic Centralism". The Center decides, and everybody "democratically" agrees to do as they are told.

And they are blatant about it. They spit in our face and stab us in the front.

The Republicans promise a whole list of things that sound Conservative. But every time, every freaking time, unless threatened with deadly force; they will do what the Democrats want done. They stab us in the back while pretending to love us. But the pretense has worn thin.

As we type, the Institutional Republicans are publicly promising to pass Amnesty and Permanent Open Borders. There are differences as to when they are promising it. Boehner is promising August. Others are promising to pass it in the lame duck session after the election, on the assumption that we will forget. And I believe Rubio [who is NOT TEA Party anymore by any measure] has said in the beginning of the new session in January. Jeb Bush [the Institutionals' presidential choice for any putative 2016 election] gave a speech day before yesterday where he promised to govern "like LBJ" if he was president. The Republican Party "leadership" is calling for "fixing" Obamacare instead of repealing it. And no one on the Institutional Republican team wants to talk about Obama ruling by fiat at will. By the way, Cantor is ankle deep in all that. Ankle deep, and head first.

I want a politician that at least some of the time, on some issues is on OUR side.

Subotai Bahadur

There is no perfect anything. What we look for is a representative of the people. Not a Cantor who represents the huge corporate entities or the government tyrants. We look for the representative who represents the constituents of that persons district as long as that representation follows the Constitution. There are only two books that lead, the Bible and the Constitution. If a law or a decision does not fit the Constitutional definitions, not the failed supreme court opinions, then that aw does not need to be acknowledged.
I will vote for Dave Brat because:
1. He will not vote to support or fund obamacare.
2. He will not vote to give his wife insider trading privileges that the rest of us don't have.
3. He will vote for reducing spending and the national debt.
4. He will not be dishonest in his campaign materials.
5. He will not vote to increase the debt limit without matching reductions in spending.
6. He will not vote to gut the military.
7. He will vote on items to bring jobs back to america.
8. He will not vote for amnesty or immigration reform to give American jobs to others until the out of work Americans are back on the job.
9. He will vote like a conservative and not vote like a progressive.
10. He will not be a boot licker for the chamber of commerce or chemical lobby.

Thats just a good start, for more see http://davebratforcongress.com
I have no problem with a politician who is ruthless in his campaign, provided he is more ruthless to dems than he is to fellow repubs. But then once they win, they should have some honor and loyalty to the conservative voters who brought them there.
Roger, I don't let people tell me who's a Rino and who is not. Those whom I read and listen to justify the labels used. Furthermore, most members of the Tea Party and certainly Mr. Brat, are strong supporters of Israel. So don't vote for Cantor for fear of losing support for Israel, vote for Brat and get another conservative who supports Israel. And a competent economist to boot.
I am glad you feel strongly for Israel, Roger Simon. I think it is important that Congressmen voice their own similar feelings during an Administration that has showed amazing hostility to Israel, and appeared to attempt to surround us with a mutated and terrible Arab Spring led by the Ikhwan (Muslim Brotherhood). I understand too the hardball nature of politics. As a teenager, I volunteered for the McGovern campaign for about a month until he promised 1000% support for Eagleton, then dumped him.

At the same time, I am opposed to corrupt Israeli politicians like Olmert (though in his case the justice system showed some evidence of grit). Thus, I can't really say to American voters, 'vote for this guy because he supports Israel, even if he is a bully.'

Do Cantor's actions as described in a recent piece here constitute corruption? I don't know for sure, but if I were a Republican in Virginia, I would sure have my doubts about him.

And, in the final analysis, Israel can expect no support in the crunch from any US Administration - this was demonstrated in 1967, in 1973 when Nixon/Kissinger threatened Meir over the IAF's desire to preempt against the massed Syrian and Egyptian troops, and even under Reagan during the 1982 Lebanon war. In fact, Reagan sent 'peacekeepers' to Lebanon on the theory that that the 'Palestinian' civilians there needed to be protected from Israel and her allies. Reagan also denounced the attack on Osirak. Clinton made Oslo permanent, and so on.
Full disclosure' I don't know Eric Cantor but I know what he thinks and I don't like him. He is the perfect symbol of the Republican Ruling Elite, those who hate their base and like to lie to their base to win elections and then legislate and regulate in full opposition to their base. He is the face of what Angelo Codevilla described as the Ruling Class. And so I will not be supporting Eric Cantor as he destroys America but maybe has one foreign policy issue right. More likely, he would involve us in foreign entanglements with zero plan to actually win, I.e. destroy completely the opposition. Eric Cantor is personally destroying the connection in Virginia between the Republican Party and the conservative electorate. He should be removed from office as soon as possible.
I've never looked for Perfection, nor Purity!
Just some simple Loyalty.
Unfortunately, Loyalty is in short supply among Republican Politicians.
"I would look at the person as completely as possible and weigh all the particulars I can find". I do that too & have for YEARS, but it's VERY DIFFICULT to find many people who will bother spend the tine necessary to properly vet candidates. It's just SO MUCH EASIER to let the best boob tube ad make those decisions for you.
I'll sum up what I think this piece means.

It's that I should accept mediocrity and be okay with it.

iI don't find, when committed to something, being mediocre acceptable.

If you hired someone to paint your house and they did a mediocre job, would you find that acceptable and pay full price?

Therefore, I will sit out supporting any Republican that I find mediocre. We are hiring them to do a job. Period.

So what if Democrats keep winning on the Federal level. Sooner than not, our country will become like Venezuela. Good.

Once that happens, people will start paying attention and get off their butts.

Look at what just happened in India. For the first time in 67 years, a true conservative won, Modi. It was a landslide.

Citizens finally got sick and tired after 67 years of rule by one party.

Same thing will happen here.

This may not happen in my lifetime here, but I'll sit back with my long term view and let the chips fall where they may.
Kim Strassel says that liberals have invented the Republican civil war. if these comments don't prove the opposite, I don't know what does. I am far more sympathetic to those conservatives who fight for economic growth as opposed to medieval or pre-modern chains on women. We don't make a sufficient case for the modernity that emancipated women, Jews, workers, and ordinary people alike.
"I am far more sympathetic to those conservatives who fight for economic growth as opposed to medieval or pre-modern chains on women."

What conservatives are those in the Republican Party? Just giving you an opportunity to clarify what would otherwise be a lie on your part by assertion.

Remember Fred Phelps was a Democrat, and that Akin's campaign was paid for by one...
WHAT chains?
It's more evidence RINOs and their camp followers are really Democrats, isn't it?

When they've got nothing, they lie.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All