Roger L. Simon

Chubby and ‘The Twist’—Clinging to Racism in the Age of Obama

February 9th, 2014 - 8:03 pm

I turned on my office TV a few minutes ago, intending to flip over to the Olympics, when the Huckabee show came up.  I was startled by the relatively young looking black guy singing. Could that actually be Chubby Checker?  He had to be older than that. He’s 72, according to Wikipedia.  But he sure didn’t look it and he was singing his anthem — “The Twist.”

Suddenly a white woman — she could have been in her sixties or seventies herself — got up out of the studio audience and starting dancing with him.  As the audience applauded the dancers, tears started to pour out of my eyes.

This doesn’t happen often, folks.  I’m not all that sentimental.  But it didn’t take me long to figure out why the tears fell. Chubby Checker recorded “The Twist” in 1960, when he was 18 years old.  I was 15 0r 16 at the time, depending on the time of year.  Six years later I was in Chubby’s native South Carolina in the civil rights movement.

I don’t know who that white woman dancing with Chubby on the Huckabee show was, whether she was in the civil rights movement too, but I sincerely doubt she was any kind of racist.  White people loved to dance to Chubby back then — and eventually with Chubby.  Soon enough white people were dancing with black people and Latino people and Asian people.  I know I was — and most of my friends were too. I had a Puerto Rican girlfriend,  a Chinese-American girlfriend and a Ghanaian girlfriend.  (Okay, I had a lot of girlfriends.) Nobody cared.  And nobody should.

Yet racism is still supposed to stalk the land.

Does it really?  Well, maybe a little.  There are racially biased idiots everywhere from here to Chechnya. But as one who has visited sixty or so countries in a lucky life, I don’t know any place less racist than the US of A at this moment.  (If you speak French, try pretending you don’t and listen in on one of their dinner table conversations.)

The only way finally to end racism, to stomp its last excrescences, when it has become illegal and a societal pariah, as it has here, is to ignore it and declare it over.  Nothing else will work. You can’t hang on to it, because hanging on to it preserves it.

Racism is alive and well.

Watch any "comedian"...and white people will be the butt of the 'joke', IF the comedian is a person of "color".

Racism is alive and well, in the DOJ Civil Rights division. Where supervisors believe that white people do not deserve equal rights.

Racism is alive and well...in every Hollywood movie, where slavery, bigotry and racial animus are attached to white skin as an original sin that cannot be wiped away...even by the most generous and open-hearted spirit of a people....most of whom had NOTHING to do with any of it. Many of whom had ancestors who died on the battlefield, sometimes brother against brother, fighting for a race to which they did not belong.

Racism is alive, because radical leftism needs to keep it alive. Like the primordial slime in Ghostbusters, radical leftism feeds off negative energy.

Class warfare, racial warfare, ethnic warfare, gender warfare....are all splinters in the eyes of unity. Intentionally placed there and rubbed raw by small c communists so that they keep fresh the "victimhood" and can point a crooked finger at faux "oppressors".

Racism is alive in America because our current government is overflowing with Democratic PARTY faithful...who will tear the country apart in order to advance the PARTY.

The moment that the "victims" stop enjoying the game of their "victimhood" and start realizing that more than anything, being a permanent "victim" doesn't help anyone but the PARTY plantation owners...this country will begin to heal.

And not a moment before. THAT'S the "Twist" to the plot...and for some reason, it doesn't make me feel too much like dancing today.
I don't believe it was "pop culture" teaching those black kids to hate whites.

Something changed with the successes of social integration. As the worst of the oppression and discrimination was broken by law, the civil rights movement in the black community reached a crossroads and took a wrong turn. They began looking for racism in everything as the boldy obvious discrimination was defeated. And it became a matter of faith in the black community that all whites were racist.

During Jim Crow years, blacks could easily pick out the white people of good will. Without those clear markers, though, the assumption of some "silent racism" was made of all whites and taught to generations of black children.

The entire culture of the "black community" is now based on an assumption that whites are the enemy. It's going to be hard to overcome that racism.
All I know is what was happening after the marches, 'cause that when I was a small boy in the southwest corner Indiana during the early/late '60's. Where I grew up was on a path of the Underground Railroad, and we were justifiably proud of that heritage.

My neighborhood had a lot of blacks compared to other neighboring communities. Most white kids and black kids were friends: We went to school together and played together. But something odd happened in the '70's. Pop culture told the black kids they weren't supposed to like the white kids because the whites were the bad guys. It was as if something stole the souls of some of my friends. Seems likes a lot of the country went through this during the '70's.

I thought *most* of us got over it during the '80's. Too bad we're back to a pop culture pushing it hard to blacks that whites are the *real* bad guys again; I am deeplly saddened by the return of this nonsense that crept back in during Obama's initial run for President and was fed by Hillary Clinton's campaign surrogates.
The Democrats never stopped being racist. They just changed tactics. Once they had to put on white sheets and lynch or castrate black men to keep the black population down, now they just say 'keep abortion legal!' Once they took funny names like 'grand cyclops,' now they call themselves journalists. They promote racism because they're racists, as well as to keep their pious masks in place. It is the purest hypocrisy imaginable.
Racism in America used to be a problem on the wane. Now, as a result of the Left's exploitation of Americans' sense of lingering shame, it's a major, expanding industry, with fingers in the public treasury, while black prosperity suffers. President Obama promised us a "fundamental transformation," and by God, he kept his promise.
I must tell Pseudonymous that before WW2 people in The Netherlands were administerd with race indications. That meant that the nazi´s were able to track the Jews easily to be deported and murdered by the ten thousands. As Barry Hussein Obama doesn´t know a thing of anything, it is not surprising that Barry makes the horrible mistake to obligatory administer someones race when applying for the obligatory Obamacare.
WHAT HE SAID:
"There is not a Black America and a White America and Latino America and Asian America -- there’s the United States of America."
WHAT HE MEANT:
There's a rich America, a poor America, a gay America, a female America, an anti-gun America, an anti-GMO America, an America of all kinds diversity and shades of opinions and I am the shadiest of all: I will exploit every difference I can. I will make up differences that don't exist and I will create an atmosphere of such distrust and fear that people will turn to the federal gov't (that is, ME) for help. Yes, call it Socialism, call it Communism. I don't care. It's really called 'Divide and Conquer' and I will conquer all -- just like some petty dictator -- in the name of 'Hope and Change'.
When your government demands to know your race, as in the Obamacare registration - that's discrimination. With discrimination comes racism.

When my government stops asking what sort of American I am, other than citizen or no, then and only then can we get past racism. Until then, the very fabric of government encourages and demands racism.

How, you say? Well, why do they need to know what race I am? In order to offer me something, or deny me something, dependent solely on race. If that's not racism, what is?

Quod erat demonstrandum
EXACTLY. Take the check box off the government forms. It's an outrage that it's even there in the first place.
I wish I could "ignore it and declare it over." But when I'm told that disparate outcomes among racial groups is de facto racism and exercising personal preference is de facto segregation and that both need to be addressed by legislation, executive order and the courts, I can't ignore it and I can't declare it over.

Those who profit--and there are many ways in which to profit--from racial division and animus are like the proverbial dog with a bone. They will never stop chewing on it. They will never give it up. We can ignore it all we want. They will still be there stoking the fires of racial discontent.

"...when it has become illegal..." No, Roger, no. Nyet.
I have to agree with the idea that people are only responsible for what they do. They cannot be held accountable for what their ancestors did. In recent years, I have become painfully aware that some on the liberal side have been slandering all whites because of what happened in the past. They do this not to help blacks. They do this to grab as much power and goodies for themselves. While they are grabbing, they do not hurt whites the most. They hurt blacks. Or they eat their own.
quite the gene pool. guess they have to blame someone besides themselves. thurgood marshall was surely a pod drifting down from another planet along with a small group of those who were referred to as "strivers". they did strive. they did accomplish. even during the worst of times. just like all other americans. if obama knew anything about america he would know that. instead, it will be one big detroit from sea to garbage laden sea.
The Cleveland Indians hired the first black manager, Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, in 1975. Baseball managers, the old saying goes, are hired to be fired and unfortunately, there were no players as good as Robinson on the Indians in those days. Many pundits worried what would be the reaction when Robinson was inevitably fired.

Well, he was fired in 1978, I believe. Nothing much happened, neither Cleveland nor the country at large burned down. Baseball fans understood that managers who don't post winning records don't last no matter what their background. Results count, nothing else does.

How much more naive America became in those 3 decades, eh?
I never thought twice about race before Obama was elected. Just wasn't an issue at all in day to day life. Now - it is front and center and divisive and ugly. Thanks B.O. for dumping your personal baggage on an entire country.
1 2 3 4 5 Next View All