Belmont Club

Lost Causes

March 6th, 2013 - 6:13 pm

From Roll Call:

“I will speak until I can no longer speak.”

“I don’t rise to oppose John Brennan’s nomination simply for the person. I rise today for the principle,” Paul began. “The principle is one that as Americans we have fought long and hard for and to give up on that principle, to give up on the Bill of Rights, to give up on the Fifth Amendment protection that says that no person shall be held without due process, that no person shall be held for a capital offense without being indicted.”

When Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., tried to get consent to bring the debate to a close and allow votes on Brennan’s nomination before the end of the evening, Paul rebuffed him. Paul said he was prepared to vote immediately if he received answers about killings from Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr., but Reid, of course, said he could not speak for the Justice Department nor the White House.

YouTube Preview Image

“President Barack Obama has the authority to use an unmanned drone strike to kill US citizens on American soil, his attorney general has said”, according to the Telegraph. Holder wrote:

“it is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the president to authorise the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States”

Ted Cruz gets an answer from Eric Holder:

YouTube Preview Image

The Three Conjectures at Amazon Kindle for $1.99
Storming the Castle at Amazon Kindle for $3.99
No Way In at Amazon Kindle $8.95, print $9.99

Tip Jar or Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Oh, give clear line of sight under starry skies above
Drone fence me in
Let me flit through the wide open country that tree to tree
Drone fence me in

Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the Predator please
Send me off forever, but I ask you please
Drone fence me in
This argument is bizarre. 100's if not 1000's of American Citizens are routinely killed (in the name of "Public Safety") without due process every year by the police and/or federal officers, and there is absolutely no outcry. Apparently, you have to be a Muslim terrorist in order to be immune from this threat. Just try eluding the police and see how much value your life has.

This reminds me of the similar and analogous specious arguments made by the left when 43 was wiretapping, without a warrant, and detention, without a jury trial in federal court of terrorist suspects. Although ordinary citizens are arrested with even less Due Process and tried and held under far worse situations every single day, only the Muslim terrorist's life is important enough to deserve an outcry.

One thing the Republicans and Democrats are united on: Muslim terrorists deserve far great Due Process and Protections than oridinary Americans.
It has been noticed that McCain and Graham have displayed their smallness of character in their criticism of Rand. Even Rush Limbaugh has remarked their kind of response could very well lead to a third party forming up.
Holder's an idiot. He shouldn't even be talking about wild hypotheticals in the first place nor should Cruz then be introducing legislation that amounts to saying we forgot to put an exclamation point to the Constitution. Don't these idiots have anything better to do than engage in pointless pedantry? While they do that, actual and clear law lets 8 zillion illegals squat here that encourages 8 zillion more to come. It's like arguing whether to grab the tea or coffee set while the house is burning.
I now wear a Saint Jude medal at all times. The Patron Saint of Lost Causes has never been more appropriate.
Thomas Paine December 23, 1776

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God....

Quitting this class of men, I turn with the warm ardor of a friend to those who have nobly stood, and are yet determined to stand the matter out: I call not upon a few, but upon all: not on this state or that state, but on every state: up and help us; lay your shoulders to the wheel; better have too much force than too little, when so great an object is at stake. Let it be told to the future world, that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive, that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet and to repulse it. Say not that thousands are gone, turn out your tens of thousands; throw not the burden of the day upon Providence, but "show your faith by your works," that God may bless you. It matters not where you live, or what rank of life you hold, the evil or the blessing will reach you all. The far and the near, the home counties and the back, the rich and the poor, will suffer or rejoice alike. The heart that feels not now is dead; the blood of his children will curse his cowardice, who shrinks back at a time when a little might have saved the whole, and made them happy. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death. My own line of reasoning is to myself as straight and clear as a ray of light.
PJM has been agonizingly slow and glitchy today. Is this part of the plan to make it better? Oh wait . . . was there ever any intent to improve PJM as part of this switchover?
Trying to reply to SpokenEasily below, but this misbegotten piece of PJM Scheiss-mongery is not letting me post like it did for a couple of hours last night.

If what I have been reading around the inner-Web-tubes and in my email is any indication, you are not alone in your question. The Mandate of Heaven itself is in question. Duty to God, Country, Constitution, and Honor are in the balance for those who have sworn to them.

"Lays of Ancient Rome
Horatius
by Thomas Babbington Macaulay"

Verse XXVII

Subotai Bahadur
Now that the Federal Government has, without the consent of the governed and in direct violation of the Constitution, decided it can kill its citizens without warning or due process, why should the citizens be restrained from the same actions? They have truly stepped onto the slippery slope of cause and effect. I hope sanity will return before this nation falls apart. I'm not putting my faith there however based on recent events and who we have elected in governance. God's will be done.
To echo William Shakespeare --
"You blocks! You stones! Knew ye not Waco?"

Has Ruby Ridge been forgotten too?

Our first black president burned little American children to death on US soil -- children who were US citizens, offspring of US citizens, in Texas no less. Separately, his agents shot & killed a female US citizen with a US baby in her arms on US soil. Who needs a drone?

And Clinton was impeached for those crimes and then charged with murder, and is currently rotting in Guantanamo? Right!

This horse left the barn 20 years ago. The Political Class long-since established the right to kill anyone inconvenient to them, with the blessing of the alphabet media. And all those Left-Wingers who usually protest against abuses of power have studiously looked the other way. While those Constitution-loving Right-Wingers ... also looked the other way.

As someone once said, we get the government we deserve.
"People get the kind of government they deserve." - Renee DesCartes

It has been attributed to others, so I may be mistaken. I remember it from a bit of history about DesCartes, which I learned in math class in H.S.
Speaking of lost causes, I have had trouble loading the site and viewing comments this morning. I suppose this can be considered a test. Wish me luck.
I couldn't load the site either for quite a while, but that seemed to be an Internet Explorer issue. Also had to sign in, get a new password, but here I are! :-)
1 2 3 Next View All