5 Realizations as My 60th Birthday Draws Near

Ruminations amid the rocket fire.

P. David Hornik

August 24, 2014 - 7:00 am

shutterstock_60044804

These days I’m approaching the six-decade mark in rather odd circumstances. The Gaza War has reignited, and last night we in Beersheva were woken up twice by rocket alarms, meaning we had to rush out to the stairwell and hear the big booms of Iron Dome interceptors knocking Hamas rockets out of the sky. In other words, not the ideal environment for stocktaking and peaceful reflection.

Even so, the onset of my 60th gives rise to thoughts, so I’ll try, amid the commotion, to summarize some of what I see as life’s lessons.

online jobs at home ...!!
I just got paid $8580 working off my computer this month. And if you think that's cool, my divorced? friend has twin toddlers and made over $9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less.
This is what I do,

www.fox71.Com
Thanks, David.
Human beings, and that includes you and me, are capable of anything. That's why human beings commit horrible evil acts, like the acts of muslim terrorists surrounding Israel. That's why it is so vitally important that a society be schooled in, be taught from a very early age, that thou shalt not kill kill, thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not bear false witness, etc. For lacking that indoctrination human beings are capable of ANYTHING.
Mazel Tov! on reaching your 60th birthday..it is a milestone, you know.
If at any age a Jew is supposed to celebrate a birthday, 60 is the age.

I like that you brought up the idea of free will and that it's better to be a mortal, who has to strive rather than an angel, without any free will.

I have to say that in the case of Divine intervention, please see Tehillim 121, which certainly applies to a special Siyate D’Shmaya in Eretz HaKadosh….how I envy you (in a good way) and my greatest wish is to return to the Land, where we lived for 15 years and bore 3 children there and raised another 5, as well.(4 of whom now live there and 1 who is serving in kravi during the recent conflict.)

I also attempt to only relive my past in an attempt to learn and try to do better in the present and the future. The yetzer hara tries it's best to entrap us in our past failures by reminding us and pointing out the futility to overcome because we are doomed to fail, yet, we can have the strength to overcome and remind ourselves every day that struggle is the essence of life and that we do possess a precious soul that seeks a relationship with it's Creator. How lucky you are in the Land where every day you can more fully realize His special relationship.

How true about forgiveness..one who can find it in his heart to forgive emulates the Creator and will merit, much more readily, Divine forgiveness.
We know what is said about anger…it punishes not only the one it is directed at but, even more so, the one who expresses it. Let us hope that we will also merit to receive Divine assistance in overcoming this affliction.

I wish you every assistance and every good thing in your attempt to lead a life of Truth and Goodness.
Thanks, folks.
Really happy to hear from you. I follow the news from Israel as closely as possible and think about the writers who live there that I follow on the net and the people I met during my one trip there last year. Happy Birthday! Please know that there are many of us non Jews here in the states who stand with you in our thoughts and prayers.
In the year of my sixtyth (?) birthday I underwent some major surgeries. A triple bypass, a valve replacement and an aortic repair as well as some relatively minor fixes. I never did have a near death experience (thank God) but I came out the other side reflecting on that passage.
Because of those experiences, I love my dog even more, I treasure my wife and I like myself all the better. Like you, I can't help but reflect on my life and misdeeds (if that's what they were) and I've learned forgiveness. Of myself and all of the people around me. I learned to drop that baggage. It was making my life difficult and impossible to enjoy this gift of life. Maybe I've reached the same place that you did by a different path, but I'm glad I'm here. May you see your hundredth year. Shalom
Hate to remind you, but you are approaching your seventh decade, not your sixth. In fact, if you count the time in the womb, you are approaching your eight decade.
Happy birthday.
Thank you for the strategically important column.
#5 is seriously difficult, something to think about all the time,
but #3, that is certainly problematic, at the same time opens the Way for the Mystery in our lives...

(As usual I apologize for the short comment, but these points require more time than I have available in this moment)