10 Reasons Why Indianapolis Is the Best City in the Midwest

The American Midwest is home to many great cities, but after visiting them all multiple times, one I resided in for five years tops my list.

Ari J. Kaufman

July 31, 2014 - 9:00 am

IWM

10. Indiana War Memorial Plaza Historic District

Throughout four consecutive blocks, Indianapolis recognizes our military heroes. Standing tall in the center of “Circle City,” the Indiana World War Memorial was constructed to honor soldiers from the Great War. General of the Armies John “Black Jack” Pershing laid the ceremonial cornerstone July 4, 1927, two years after the American Legion moved their national headquarters to Indianapolis, where they remain two blocks north. The War Memorial opened its doors on Armistice Day, 1933. A cenotaph, honoring the first soldier killed in World War I, from Indiana no less, sits at the plaza’s northern end.

Because there is so much history within walking distance around downtown, people from around the world visit the area. I know this from experience as a state historian. If you go a few blocks north, you’ll hit the Benjamin Harrison Home, where the 23rd president lived, campaigned and died. A few blocks to the south is the incredible Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument, which we’ll discuss later.

I lived in Indy in the mid 90's for about five years. I loved it there. But, the winters can be severe. I remember one winter where the high for a week was -8 degrees. Had to run an electric chord with a light bulb, out to the garage, and place it lit, under my oil pan, all night. Otherwise, the oil was so thick, the truck wouldn't start in the morning. Haven't been back since then, so I can't comment on the now. But at least you can get a concealed carry permit, relatively easily in Indiana.
I now reside in Minnesota. Indy winters are basically Hawaii in comparison.
I have recently done business and actually tried to help people from Indianapolis, my impression of the city is that is pathetic, and the people are confused, unhappy and hate where they live.
Incorrect anecdotal "evidence." Confused about what? They vote properly, rare in the upper midwest.

It's the fastest-growing city in the Midwest and the suburbs are routinely rated top in the nation, especially Fishers, Carmel and Zionsville.
Ari, please check black crime in the Big I. White flight is going on big time in Indianapolis. And you lived there when?
2005-2011.

I'm confused by your comment and others like it.

What Midwestern city does not have black crime and white flight? Is there more crime in Indy than St. Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, KC, Minneapolis or Cleveland? But there is far more to do with a better economy and better leadership (sans Andre Carson).

And what other midwestern city had re-invented itself, and its downtown, in the past few decades to such rave reviews with so much to do? Others have tried, but none has come close to matching Indy and the many reasons I listed.

My job took me to every corner of the city every week. Indy is a mammoth city geographically, as compared to all other midwestern cities (city/county, unigov etc), so hard to compare exactly.

Again, all the negatives you mentioned occurs at larger levels in other cities, and Indy has far more to do and a positive future. I've visited all the other a dozen times or more and still do monthly. No comparison.
I have been to Indianapolis many times during my career...this article is a joke...right?
I think the facts speak for themselves.
I have lived in Indianapolis most of my life, and I must therefore question whether the author lived in Indianapolis at all, because his article bears little resemblance to the actual Indianapolis. Indianapolis is designed for tourists, not the residents, which is odd since there is little to see or do here. You get a mile outside downtown and the place is a crumbling, crime-ridden sewer (literally in some places, since the combined sewers here overflow during heavy rains), but the mayor and the powers-that-be downtown do not care.
If it's important to you, I resided in four different parts of Indy -- from downtown to the west, south and east sides -- from 2005 to 2011. I named all the things there are to do, and assume you've done them all since you said there's little to do. I could've posted 10 more. Certainly much more to do than any midwestern city its size.
That's right, keep on keeping your head in the sand. Indianapolis has a huge and ever growing violent crime problem, compliments of guess who, that is going to turn it into the next Chicago in short order.
Does it have worse crime than Cleveland, STL, Detroit, Milwaukee, MSP, KC or other midwestern cities its size? I always felt safe in Indy, and I lived in four parts. It's a huge city, land-wise, so difficult to compare.
Sad, but true. However most of the killings are criminals vs criminals, so it's not all bad.
Look forward to visiting there. Great unpretentious city to explore.
i've lived there myself. it's a great city and area except for the winters. they as mellencamp said, " last forever."