Paula Bolyard

July 23, 2014 - 7:00 am

BobbyShermanbobbysherman_zpsf9dea16f

If you were a teen (or pre-teen) girl at any time in the 1970s, you probably held in your (amateurly manicured) hands at some point a copy (or many, many copies) of Tiger Beat magazine. Known for glossy covers that featured saucy shots of the day’s most popular teen idols — most of them males and many of them shirtless — Tiger Beat (and its twin magazine 16) usually included a centerfold pin-up of a pop star of such import that the mere thought of his poster on her bedroom wall could persuade a young girl to part with her babysitting money.  My bedroom wall was plastered with Bobby Sherman in all his glory — the purple shirts unbuttoned to the waist, the velvet choker necklaces, and those gorgeous blue eyes! Also clad in all black, with his beautiful brown tresses casually flowing in the breeze. And at least a half dozen other iterations of Bobby posing and smiling (or pouting). My cousin had all the Donny Osmond pin-ups, while my girlfriend across the street papered her walls with David Cassidy. We’d carefully remove the staples from our teen idols’ midsections, lovingly unfold our new treasures and smooth out the creases before taping (or push-pinning) them to our bedroom walls.

Did you ever wonder what became of the teen idol whose visage used to cast his gaze upon you every night as you drifted off to sleep?

Here’s what happened to 10 of our favorite Tiger Beat ”Cover Boys”:

Donny Osmand did a pretty good turn on Broadway in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. You can check it out on youtube.
Substitute photos of Barack & Michelle Obama and edit the taglines and you have an encapsulation of the US media - supermarket magazines and 'serious' newspapers - for the years 2007-2014 inclusive.
David Cassidy ought to be a bit more careful about calling people "sad" and "pathetic". Unless of course he speaks from the truest authority.
So so under-rated those Osmonds. An extremely tight, multi-faceted band. Should still be performing. Wrong image for the degenerate 70s and beyond. But pop culture is empty anyway, they were better off back at the tabernacle:-)
To be fair, the Osmonds had huge record sales and concert gates worldwide - nothing underrated about them at the time! They decided to grow old gracefully with their rock-solid LDS faith always at the core of their extended family lives. They have been performing in various combinations for many years in Branson MO. Alan is fighting MS.

I always found it amusing then and now to hear Alan (dominant figure in writing and producing the act), er, 'borrowing' wholesale from contemporary rock acts, especially Led Zeppelin (e.g. 'The Last Days' from 'The Plan' LP). Definitely opposite ends of the religious spectrum, if not the musical one!
I think you inadvertently downplayed the success of Rick Springfield. I was offered free tickets to his show at an amphitheater in Atlanta around mid-2000's. I agreed to go just because I liked the venue not expecting much from a Rick Springfield concert. Boy were we in for a surprise! Rick had accumulated some kind of fan base. Women swooned over his every move. We watched him walk across tables (and were all fold out tables) playing his guitar with women holding bouquets of roses he would take and "strum" his guitar showering his adoring fans with rose petals. It was entertaining.
Bobby Sherman apparently decided to become an EMT after appearing as a guest star on the TV Show, Emergency!

That show also featured Randolph Mantooth, who was briefly a teen idol, and now apparently makes a living giving speeches at firefighter conventions and banquets.

(I am a big Emergency! fan)
I always back into parking spaces and even my own garage thanks to Gage & DeSoto. Never know when that Klaxon will sound and you have to tear out of there!
You need to check out a movie called "The Spirit of '76", 1990. Stars David Cassidy and features an appearance by Leif Garrett (as a disco boy called Eddie Trojan). It's not very good - just one long 70s joke. But there are some familiar faces in strange roles, plus Olivia D'Abo.
Well, damn - looks like Bobby Sherman had about the best outcome and the most societally-useful post-Tiger Beat career, and Donny Osmond likely the happiest life. Or the least embarrassing.

Maybe they should club together and do an intervention with Justin Bieber, if it isn't too late already.
I loved Bobby Sherman, I was one of those screaming girls at his concerts. Agree with Paula, he's a winner!
I always knew Bobby was a winner! ;)
Thank the heavens I'm a guy. These are real life-wasters.
I'm sure you never salivated over Ace of Spades's cheerleaders, Powerline's weekly girls-n-guns pix, J-Lo's latest all-butt music vi -- hey, where'd PacRim go? Is that Youtube I see in his other tab?
I know who all these guys are but they were pop figures. In the 70's I had a poster of Dave Mason on my wall (that my best friend had talked the record store clerk into giving me) and I had a collection of concert ticket stubs on my other wall. I was into Grateful Dead, Traffic, Southern rock, The Who, etc. I never understood the allure of those guys, although Donny Osmond was hilarious in the Johnny Bravo Christmas Special.
"Donny Osmond was hilarious in the Johnny Bravo Christmas Special." He was also equally hilarious in that Weird Al video, "White and Nerdy."
Never saw that but will have to check it out. He was also hilarious in College Road Trip (which I only saw parts of). I love how he's reinvented himself as a parody of himself. Very entertaining.