The Top 10 Tips for Surviving Summer Airline Travel

Hot, sticky, and frustrated is no way to start a vacation. Here's how to avoid the woes of modern airline travel.

Bonnie Ramthun

July 2, 2014 - 8:00 am

Planes Trains Steve Martin

Vacations can be wonderful experiences, but all too often they start out at an airport, which can be one of the most frustrating, uncomfortable, and stressful places on earth.  Here’s the top ten ways to make your airline travel a good experience.  Or at least not a nightmare.

10. Pack a small refreshment bag for the end of the flight.

Purchase the wisp toothbrushes that come with toothpaste already installed. Buy a packet of facial wipes. Take a last visit to the bathroom before landing to wash up, brush your teeth, comb your hair and prepare for your day. No matter how tired you are or how long the flight, the refreshment of a small amount of grooming helps energize you and get you ready to face your journey’s destination. Just avoid changing clothes. It never turns out well unless you’re David Spade in Tommy Boy

Top One Tip for Airline Travel:

Don't.

There's nothing out there that's worth getting on a plane for. If "Here" is so terrible that "There" is worth an airline trip, then move.
I would love to take the train if it A) didn't cost hundreds more; and B) didn't take MUCH too long to get where I'm going, if it does at all. I used to take the Capital Corridor in California between Sacramento and Berkeley (actually Richmond), but I still had to take additional transportation, my feet included, to get where I wanted to go.
Easy. Take the train!
Bonnnie: "Yes, I have, and I’ve had a TSA agent feel my bra to check the underwire. She didn’t want to do it any more than I did, but that’s her job. So shrug it off."

No no no. Feeling the bra wire of a clearly western woman who is minding her own business shouldn't be her job and you shouldn't (A) have to put up with it, (B) tell others to eat this bitter lemon "for their own good."

The cause of misery here is called non-profiling. Think of a photo of any jihadi you have ever seen. Can you find one that in any way resembles Bonnie or yourselves, readers?

Sabutai may be excepted of course. He may have to go through the special security check every time. Sorry about that, Recruit. But there is absolutely no reason for most Americans to have to prove their westernness and Americanity every single time they take a plane just so the libruls can be mollified. In fact it is an outrage.

There are better ways that only PC meatballs (meatballs include those who don't want fewer security agents in government jobs) are standing in the way of. Things like special flying passes for non-security risks, you know, the same type of people who are approved for Concealed Carry of arms.

I avoid flying as much as possible because it basically sucks now, hard seats, no room, etc. Perhaps there is a wonderfully easy way in place today to get such an ID?
Frequent traveler here.
You don't have to wait to gate check a bag. They're happy that you aren't bringing it on.

Noise cancelling headsets (or earplugs) are a godsend.

I am not a germophobe. But take disinfectant wipes and wipe down the seat arms and tray table (top and bottom). So many people go on and off, coughing and sneezing, and there's no time for them to clean the planes between trips. Once I started doing this, I have not gotten sick on a trip.
Hilarious!! Item 7 is genius. Love traveling and will keep these in mind.
Top One Tip for Airline Travel:

Don't.

Ken Mitchell, Don't be such a "grinch"!! Flying can be difficult, but not usually that bad. Some of us have family/friends that are worth the effort to fly to see...I have a Wedding near the end of this month that I wouldn't miss.