The 10 Most Underrated Disney Animated Films

A few Disney cartoon features don’t get the love they deserve. Here are ten of them.

Chris Queen

June 30, 2014 - 9:03 am

photo81

Last week I shared my list of the ten most overrated Disney animated features. While it’s true that many Disney cartoons get more attention than they deserve, just as many don’t get the acclaim that they should. Here’s my list of the top ten underrated Disney animated movies. Who knows? Maybe you’ll discover a new favorite among this list.

YouTube Preview Image

10. Fantasia (1940)

No one can deny the artistic spectacle that is Fantasia. There wasn’t anything like it before, and there really hasn’t been anything since, other than Michael Eisner’s attempt to recreate the magic with Fantasia 2000.

Fantasia makes this list because most everybody fails to realize what an audacious project the film was. Walt Disney and his collaborator, arranger and conductor Leopold Stokowski, took a tremendous risk combining animation with classical music, and the gamble didn’t pay off right away, as it took years for the feature to turn a profit.

I consider Fantasia underrated because most moviegoers (even Disney fans) just don’t understand how bold and revolutionary an undertaking this piece of art truly is.

Call me crazy,but "Song of the South" belongs on that list given how infrequently it is ever shown on TV or anywhere else...and to that end......

Mulan rates with Disney's best animated movies. The only one I can think of that's better is Aladdin.
my roomate's mom makes $68 every hour on the laptop . She has been laid off for seven months but last month her pay was $19303 just working on the laptop for a few hours. pop over here.
=========>>>>http://www.job-wiki.com/
"The Black Cauldron" was interesting.

The source books had much more material for good storytelling. In the book, the hero who actually destroyed the cauldron was really well developed for a children's book.

I didn't like the film adaptation, but I read all five books. So, I wasn't happy with the freedoms Disney exercised.
I was a fan of the Black Cauldron; I saw it in the theater when it came out. It was based on fantasy novels, IIRC.
And yes, it was dark subject material for Disney: hordes of undead created by foul magic.
Pinocchio lost money?!
Well, even Casablanca wasn't that popular in its time.
There is a compelling business reason why Disney cannot bring "Dumbo" to the forefront of its portfolio. Recall the scene where the crows sing, "When I See an Elephant Fly". Very clearly, the crows are intended to represent African Americans in a manner which would be evaluated as stereotypical and unfavorable today. It looks like you can still buy "Dumbo" at the online Disney Store. But I think if Disney committed significant resources to promoting Dumbo, they would receive a backlash.
So in other words, Dumbo's receiving similar treatment to Songs of the South? Makes sense.
What I always found interesting is that the Sword in the Stone appears to be (just going from the clip I saw) from the same source as Camelot - White's the Once and Future King. Two very, very different movies, but here you are.

I like a lot of your list, but I really hated the simplistic Robin Hood (then again, I never liked Robin himself either) and with Mulan and the Princess I just can't get past the continual PC. (See Pocahontas.) The kids we showed it to (Black Jewish Israeli kids) really seemed to enjoy the Princess, and I have to admit it was well done.

I am waiting for Wreck-it Ralph to be rentable, and do need to rent the Rescuers. (No, I have no children; why do you ask?)
Mulan is one of the great favorites with my family (as is Wreck-it Ralph), but one teensy little issue we have is that Mulan herself is - wait for it...

NOT a princess. Straight up. She is the daughter of a landed family, but has no royal lineage at all. And she marries an office of noble, but not royal, lineage. She's no more a princess than is Alice. You know who IS a princess? Nala, the Lion King's Lion Queen. That she isn't included in the Disney Princess canon is pure speciesism. So there.
Some people do claim that marrying into noble office does automatically qualify you as royal family in Asia, although most people aren't aware of that, so Mulan's addition was pointless.

And funny you should mention Alice, as she was initially on some DP promotional material.
BTW, just so you're aware, Chris Queen, Princess and the Frog was ranked among the Worst Liberal Films on Conservapedia, and the reasons were as follows: "Promotes feminism, and is anti-Christian, with the promotion of Louisiana Voodoo"
This is silly. What version of feminism is it where the lesson is "don't obsess so much on work that you refuse to connect with someone and start a family?" What version of feminism is it where the admirable main character's greatest desire is to follow her father's goal of owning a restaurant?

Anti-Christian--more accurately, doesn't mention Christianity though it probably should. Promotes voodoo...it's a fairy tale, you've got to have magic from somewhere.

Princess and the Frog is one of the most conservative movies ever aimed at minorities. Tiana, unlike every other Disney Princess, is defined by an extreme work ethic and a goal to become a self-sufficient business owner. And on top of that, the entire plotline is about how she needs to balance her workaholic tendency with family. Tiana's a lot more like Sarah Palin than like Sandra Fluke.
It's second wave feminism, unfortunately, the type where people like Simone de Beauvoir or Betty Friedan basically claimed that being housemaker should never happen, and they should go to work over raising a family, even referring to housewifery as being comparable to one of the Nazi concentration camps and babies being parasites. Heck, just read Second Sex or the Feminine Mystique to get an idea of what Second Wave Feminism is like.

And while you might make some valid points, you're going to have to tell Andy Schlafly those points, as aside from being the son of Phylis Schlafly, he's also a mod at Conservapedia, and he was responsible for listing Princess and the Frog such. Here's his reasons why:

The only thing Mr. Schlafly isn't responsible for is the claim about it being anti-Christian or it promoting voodoo. That bit was added in by a user named StevieC.
Conservatives are going to have to replace "feminism" with "intersectionalism." Opposing feminism is like opposing the civil rights movement. Opposing intersectionalism is opposing hate speech. It doesn't matter that intersectionalists call themselves feminists; they also use the word "intersectionalist" interchangeably, and "feminist" should be yanked away from them and never used when speaking of them. It would draw a clear line and send a clear message.
Considering some of the faces of feminism since at least the 1960s, maybe even the 1920s, were Simone de Beauvoir and Betty Freidan, who supported abortion heavily, as well as supported vile monsters and knowingly pushed lies, I'm not sure we should change the name. And keep in mind, BTW, that the time periods these people were active.
1 2 Next View All