Why Americans Shouldn’t Embrace Soccer

No sport has a bloodier history in modern times.

Dennis Mitzner

June 24, 2014 - 8:00 am

shutterstock_140427076

There are many signs suggesting that America is changing. In fact, to an outside observer America is starting to look a lot like Europe on many fronts.

One indication of the Europeanization of America might be the growing interest towards soccer. (For the purpose of this article and to avoid confusion, I will, albeit reluctantly, refer to football as soccer.)

The New Republic, once the torchbearer of American liberalism – the classical kind – and now largely a progressive voice, dedicated a whole section for the ongoing soccer World Cup taking place in Brazil.

Granted, I have always been uneasy about Americans and soccer. I love soccer and see it as part of being European. But in my murky soul, soccer represents nothing more than the same lightness and irrelevance of European cultural novelties and indulgences as coffee shops, fashion and high-speed trains.

Of course Americans love sports, but should they embrace a sport that has a bloodier history than any other sport in modern times?

Football and its all-pervasive fan culture is yet another example of the tribalism that Europeans – excluding the euro elites – are sinking into. Western Europe today is defined not by a coherent set of values, but by its identity crisis and deep divisions between lawmakers and the public, Brussels and local governments – and of course between the secular and the religious.

Plus it's boring too.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the "growing popularity of soccer in the United States". The USA TV viewership for the USA match with Ghana over the weekend was 11 million. The USA TV viewership for the 2014 Super Bowl was 111.5 million.

The ratings differences between run of the mill regular season NFL games (17.6 milliion) vs. regular season professional (MLS) soccer games (significantly less than 1 million) in the USA is much larger.

The TV networks, including FoxNews and of course ESPN are trying mightily (for obvious commercial reasons) to create the impression that a soccer craze is sweeping the nation. Not hardly.
My son once told me that soccer was "communist football".

From the mouths of babes...
Why not American football won't survive as flag football which is where it is headed.
Any game based on kicking balls is not for me.
Soccer is a silly, boring game to watch.

All of the inferiorities of the lesser cultures it comes from are on display in any match in its native environment…

Unimpressive, Low scoring, manipulative exaggeration of injury, and sheer tribal violence in the stands.

It exists in White Suburbia at the level it does, for one only one reason.
And that is, its inherent athletic weakness as a competitive sport, such that 3 and 4 years olds may jump right in and “play

Just go out there and run around . You’ll catch on eventually.
Oh, and everyone gets a trophy…

Is it fun for the kids?
Sure. My kids plays.

Is it a good workout?
Sure. Healthy, cardio based, gets them off the couch.

Do some go on to play at higher levels? Is there demanding athleticism involved?
Certainly. Travelling leagues, highschool, college. Its a tough sport.

But, God help me, it’s a dull, nearly pointless game to watch, if your kid isn’t in it.

It is and will always be, a "foreign" concept of what a sports game should be
Yeah, and that's also not even getting into the fact that the "age brackets" are closer to size than to actual age. And that older kids who clearly shouldn't be on the team due to their age are kept on by their coaches (who just so happen to also be their dads). And what's worse, those who were comparatively frail (like me) are upgraded to the older team even when they shouldn't be on there, and then the older kids, especially if they like inflicting Darwinism's survival of the fittest, treat the frailer ones like crap like kicking the ball into their gut at a velocity that it not only is it impossible to block, but they get hit in the gut in a very painful manner as a result. That incident is actually what led me to quit soccer, and despite my protests of not even participating at all I still got a trophy.

Not a good experience for me, and my dad agreed.

That being said, though, Soccer's European in origin? I thought it was formed in Central and South America (certainly it seemed to be far more popular there, to the extent that sometimes things get pretty bloody among fans, as they had a Football war during the 1960s in Honduras) and that Europe just imported it. Either way, I really do hope Europe manages to suppress secular elements and return to its Christian roots.
Why is it that a game can end in a tie with no overtime period?
Because it's a stupid game, Paul.

I do not understand why this drivel qualifies as a story. I am growing extremely weary of self-righteous true believers telling me how I "ought" to feel, behave, and believe. I happen to like soccer, and I have seen its positive effect on the personality and behavior of my grandson who has played it for several years now.
Ignorance and self-righteousness are not a good combination. I'm disappointed that the Editors at PJ Media saw fit to publish this. Wait, I forgot, this whole site is "void of meaning" anyway.
I cannot embrace a sport where a player can fall to the ground clutching his knee screaming about a fake injury and a nearby opposing player is given a penalty or ejected for something he didn't do.
Is this a professional sport or Monday night Wrestling?
I view American men who like soccer with a mixture of the same suspicion and contempt with which I regard middle-aged men who like My Little Pony and Barbie dolls.

And I resent the hell out of having to sit through World Cup updates on sports channels when I want to watch baseball highlights.

Of course, the whole country is disintegrating and turning into a banana republic, so why not add "futbol" to the mix?
DRayRaven. Yeah, how about the NFL. Insanely complex rules, 57 officials; every play replayed 10 times to make sure the call was right. 40 guys to field a team of 11. Utility players, kickers, backups. Not to mention the sheer brutality. While diving is giving soccer a black eye in Europe for sure, the simplicity and beauty of the game of soccer is refreshing to this American.

Baseball: the game that takes forever. Where we obsess over every pitch. Oh, look, was that an error or not: ooh let me get my scorecard!
Hey, I can't help it if you can't wrap your brain around the rules of American football or if the intricacy of baseball outlasts your attention span.

But at least I'm not watching a game that - in America - is mostly played by 10 year-old girls and sissy boys who can't make the cut playing anything else - and where "everyone wins."
Golf for foot fetishists.
I had recently viewed a video about the sport's governing body,FIFA. It is the UN on performance enhancing drugs. Not only do they override a nation's laws when they hold a world cup, and take most of the profits, leaving the host nation with huge debts and Olympic sized white elephant stadiums, but the bribery to get the games is horrendous to the point of absurdity. The next games will be held in Qatar, a country that uses slave labor, and whose climate landed it a role as the planet Tatooine in the next Star Wars movie. Some pundit referred to it as the deadliest construction project in the Middle East since the Great Pyramid.

There are many things the rest of the world gets wrong. We don't want to imitate them. I get it. Soccer is not one of those things. It is a sport like any other. There is no underlying metaphysical significance.

This irrational aversion to anything the rest of the world likes just because the rest of the world likes it has a name: xenophobia. It is idiotic. Get over yourselves, really.

If we could only avoid importing socialism and moral relativism, I could not care less about what sports people watch.
"Soccer ... is a sport like any other. There is no underlying metaphysical significance."

That's true.

It's just stupid, all by itself and without any help.

1 2 3 Next View All