The Top 10 Movies Every Young Man Should Watch Before Dating

It's a tough world out there. These movies can help.

Bonnie Ramthun

June 11, 2014 - 10:00 am

There’s a lot to learn before a young man enters the world of dating.  Here are the top 10 movies that have lessons that will educate him, help him, and get him ready to navigate the difficult world of dating.  Let’s start with number 10:

10. Starship Troopers

What? Did you expect The Notebook?  This movie about an alien invasion and battles between humans and bugs is nominally based on Robert A. Heinlein’s classic of the same name.

Why it’s important: The main character, Johnny Rico, is oblivious to Dizzy Flores, his fellow high school student.  She has a huge crush on him and eventually lands him by the oldest play in the book: proximity.  She sticks with him.  She’s at his side in the mud and blood of battle and when it comes time for him to decide between her and the gorgeous Carmen, his original love interest is far away and way out of the picture.  This is a movie with many flaws, but the singleminded pursuit of Rico by Dizzy Flores is worth examination.  Plus, of course, the battle scenes are epic.

Going to Hollyweird for any validation of how a young man should act is stupid and dare I say it, a woman's point of view. Each of those movies sets up a test for the young man which is the opposite of what he needs to do. Verboten Thoughts has it right:

"The best advice is to minimize your movie watching and spend your time developing your mind and your body, which are your two most important assets. ....... Build yourself into a productive, powerful man and you'll find that women will pursue you."
Sorry, but Hollywood stopped serving anything resembling a role model 'round about 1965.

Moreover, if a young man makes it to dating age without being well versed in how to behave with a young lady, then said young man's parents are a complete, utter failure, and odds are exceptionally good that he will end up following their example. Leaving the job to Hollywood is like asking a jackal to raise your kid.
The author, and PJ Media, should be ashamed of this article. I always thought that PJ Media was a truth and fact based source of valuable information. This article proves me wrong.
Point in FACT: The topic of guys interacting with females is of vital importance to the Man, to the Woman, and even to our country at large.
This list "arms" males with a butter-knife while giving them the *obligations* of a Cromag, a Whiteknight, a Traditional Breadwinner, with all the DUTIES & burdens of an HONORABLE era.
While the Leftist movement has undermined the legal system, particularly family law, & the VAWA ($ billions of tax dollars) all target Men as evildoers.
Bonnie, go back and read Helen Smith's book "Men on Strike" and then, and ONLY then, give us a list that property reflects the TRULY despicable and DASTARDLY way that men are treated by Women & Society.
As a sidebar...

> "Murray’s character, Phil, has the hots for fellow newscaster Rita, played by an incandescently beautiful Andie MacDowell."

When I read that, I remembered that this article was written by a woman. Not that Ms. MacDowell is homely, by any means. She has far more than her fair share of good looks.

However...

If we ordinary guys have to fantasize about wooing and winning an actress, we probably will not settle for Ms. MacDowell. Not when there's Catherine Zeta-Jones, Rebecca Romijn, Hayley Atwill, Elizabeth Hurley, and Kate Beckinsale.

The term to describe actresses like Andie MacDowell is "girl-pretty." She's the girl that men would think of as pretty, if other women had a say-so. Hollywood is full of such actresses. Drew Barrymore. Reese Witherspoon. Renee Zellweger. Julia Roberts. Kate Hudson. Helen Mirren, now that she's got some age to her. Some will end their acting days in Hallmark Channel chick flicks. Others will fade quietly into the sunset.

"Girl-pretty" means trim, attractive, bright smile, but not a perfect 10 or voluptuously-figured woman. Catherine Zeta-Jones would starve if she had to make chick flicks for a living. Christina Hendricks would be selling apples on a street corner.
Wow.

Read the piece and I'm okay with it, I guess---don't want to p*ss anyone off by saying so. Holy Cow, Folks! She gave you a list of movies she likes and explained why.

You'd think half of you were plants of the left to show how ridiculously narrow this site is.

It's Sunday, folks. Can you just maybe bask in the afterglow of July 4 w/ a choice bourbon or some such?
Bizarre, sad, and sick, this piece. That an adult would sincerely believe that a young man should sit down and watch the kind of slop that comes out of the sewer of Hollywood, in preparation to begin dating no less, is so strange as to be inexplicable. That a supposedly responsible site would have the nerve to offer this pablum, with a straight face, as serious conservative thought, is unexplainable. That we have reached this low point in our cultural downfall, that this is now the best pjmedia has to offer the readers, iis nothing short of stomach-turning.
Men are not the problem. It's the women who have this fantastical notion of romance and what men are supposed to be like. Truth is, when women are high-class ladies, men will discover their manners promptly. Their instincts will make them realize they have to up their game. Women control the dating game. Men either play or drop out.

More and more are dropping out. I have at least a half-dozen single male friends in the 30-55 age group, and none of them date anymore. The subject of women never even comes up, now, so low is the interest in dating.
I can't say that the movies on this list have much to offer in the way of understanding romantic love or prepare anyone for the modern dating scene. Some of them are just high tech special effects vehicles with a love interest, and others depict relationships and dating strategies that simply do not comport to any reality.

As one commenter correctly pointed out, Hollywood hasn't produced a decent romance in decades. There have a been a few that were pleasant surprises, such as French Kiss, An Officer and a Gentleman, Urban Cowboy, Saturday Night Fever, Valley Girl, even Grease. Heck, Young Frankenstein is a better romantic comedy than any film on this list. And Die Hard is a more realistic romantic andventure than either of the sci fi films listed above.

One would have to go back to a bygone era to find romantic movies that portray any semblance to truth, and most of them are well made adaptations of great plays or books, like Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Sense and Sensibility, Excalibur, and Cyrano. These are timeless classics that as another commenter correctly pointed out were either made in or are based on an era when men and women possessed a sense of honor and respect for each other, when romance was viewed as a responsibility and courtship as an obligation. However, in almost all the great romances the relatonships are portrayed realistically because they concentrate on the human condition, and seldom does the story end well. I mean, Arthur marries Guinivere, makes her his queen, and she has an affair with Lancelot. Rhett marries Scarlett, but she only had eyes for Ashley, and when Melanie dies, Scarlett thinks she can finally have Ashley all to herself without even acknowledging that she's already married. The purpose of these stories is provide the audience with catharsis, so that men and women can look at their own relationships and realize the pitfalls that come with the illusion of romance as it is constructed culturally.

Unfortunately, however, in the last 40-odd years feminism has ruined romance. The men in these movies are not characters but charicatures. They are universally depicted as bumbling buffoons, clumsy clowns, awkward idiots, fumbling failures, horny juveniles, wholly unworthy of emulation. Yet women buy into this misperception and misrepresentation, and it forms the basis of their attitudes and expectations of men in their relationships, making dating them a complete waste of time. If a man cannot compliment a woman, be courteous, polite, and deferential without being ridiculed and condescended to, what is the point of spending any time and money on her? It's just not worth it.

The last woman I dated I met at a board meeting a few years ago. She seemed nice enough and was obviously attracted to me, so I asked her out to dinner. Did I pick her up and drive her around? No, I am not a chaufer. She was a senior mortgage analyst and she had her own car, so I had her meet me at a restaurant. She was pleasant to be with, at first, and after a few weeks and a couple of dinners, I took it to the next level and invited her to see Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain. It was an excellent performance that I thorughly enjoyed, although I doubt she appreciated it.

Then it started to get ugly. Suddenly, she became bossy, demanding and argumentative. I guess the thought she had me hooked and I would put up with it. She started complaining that I wasn't sending her any clients for mortgage loans. And it became clear what she was after. My family owns a real estate company, we sell a lot of houses, and because I took her to dinner a couple of times, to a few clubs, to a play once, and to bed once, she expects me to direct buyers to her for loan servicing. In other words, the only real attraction she felt for me was a business opportunity.

Um, it is illegal and unethical for me to recommend any one morgtager over another. Financing is solely the buyer's decision. All I can do is provide buyers with a list of mortgage companies and leave it to them to choose which one will provide the best loan service, interest rates, down payment requirement, etc. Proof of financing is required to present an offer, and it is up to the buyers to find the financing that best fits their income and employment situation. All I can say is here is a list of companies that we've done business with in the past, call around, interview different mortgagers, and find the one that works best for you. And when you have proof of financing, I'll help you fill out a contract and present your offer to the seller.

Well, she didn't like that at all. She started complaining, yelling at me, making demands, and criticizing me. DUMP. Hey, stupid, I'm going to sell houses whether you make loans or not. It doesn't matter to me where the buyer gets financing; all that matters is that the buyer has financing. I put your name and number on the list. If a buyer doesn't call you, that's not my pr
"the only real attraction she felt for me was a business opportunity"

Sleeping her way to the top....
What? An Officer & a Gentleman & Urban Cowboy are too campy for this list? How about Sense & Sensibility? A good one on the pitfalls of just wanting to lose one's virginity: Little Darlings.
Any young man ignoring long ago "Play Misty For Me" or "Basic Instinct" does, sadly, deserve the harm to him.
Keep on ____.com after 3 - 4 psycho-_____es in a row, my son.
What's three years in DV court, or and worse, 18 years of support to a cherished, but destroyed child?
The battle scenes in "Starship Troopers" were ridiculous. Infantry on the ground? Why not have used aircraft and strafed the bugs from a safe height?

??????????????????????????