10 Ladies’ Room Rules That Will Keep Other Women from Hating You

Trigger warning for males. Prepare to have your illusions shattered.

Paula Bolyard

June 5, 2014 - 4:36 pm

ladies-room-425hsl080309

This one is for the girls. Not being completely familiar with the rules and regulations of trigger warnings, I’m a little hesitant about whether or not this is appropriate, but before I begin, let me just warn our male readers: continuing to read will rob you of your sense of awe about the mysterious and wondrous things that you think go on in the women’s restroom. Read at your own peril.

I’m attending some classes this week, which means I’m drinking copious amounts of coffee and therefore having to spend more time than I usually do in a public restroom frequented by other women — poised, professional-looking women who (by most measures) seem to have impeccable manners. But the minute I walk into the restroom I realize that women are the same wherever you go: It is a universal truth that women demonstrate appallingly uncouth behavior when they’re turned loose in public restrooms — especially when they are traveling in gaggles.

With that in mind I’d like to suggest a code of conduct for the ladies’ room — 10 Ladies’ Room Rules That Will Keep Other Women from Hating You.

I do not understand people who don't like to sit. the thighs are the only part of the body that touches the seat. Thighs do not carry germs. All the parts to worry about are not touching the seat. I'm beyond perplexed at the aversion to sitting on what would be a clean seat except for the IDIOTS who insist on hovering over the seat and then peeing on it. people's thighs touch things we all sit on every day. I don't see women hovering over benches in the park or booths in restaurants but suddenly in a bathroom something someone's thighs have touched disgusts some.
Whatever you do, don't eat while you're in the stall. Wait until after you make a shipment before accepting another delivery.
My peeve is the discarded paper towels that never reach the pail, leaving a mess on the floor. Had to put up a sign before the situation improved.
I would like to point out that sometimes the wet, scummy mess on the bathroom counter in public restrooms is the result of faulty plumbing installation. I have worked in several buildings where you could go in the bathroom first thing in the morning, the sinks and counters are perfectly dry, and as soon as you turn on the water to wash your hands, water starts running all over the counter from around the sinks. The paper towels in most restrooms are so cheap and non-absorbent that it is almost impossible to clean up the counter once the water gets on it. I'm not saying that there aren't a lot of slobby women using public restrooms, but there is also a lot of cheap plumbing involved as well.

I'd like to add that the YMCA I go to had to put signs in the women's locker room stalls that said "Our toilets do not flush automatically. Please FLUSH the toilet after use." I asked my husband if there was also a sign in the men's locker room and he said no. I talked to the Fitness Director at the Y about it and she said it had become such a problem in the woman's locker room that they felt compelled to post signs. She also said that she thinks they need to get bigger signs, because the signs don't seem to be working. Honestly!
My pet men's room peeve is chewing gum in the urinal. It just sits there all day stuck on the grated holes and never goes anywhere then somebody has to pick it out.
Good summation but want to add the courtesy flush if you have to deposit something that is overly odoriferous. This way you don't fill the entire restroom with ugly green fumes.
11. Wipe up the splashes around the sink after you wash your hands. That way, the next person won't set her purse down in a puddle of water.
I didn't read the article because I can't stand thinking about it any more. I ran bars and restaurants for 40 years, and you'd be surprised how many times the owner is in charge of cleaning the restrooms- especially if you want it done right. Women are twice as filthy as men and oftentimes do things that are just plain disgusting- which again, is why I couldn't bring myself to read the article.
Oh, well. Nice to know they're as filthy as we men are.
Now, do they write dirty limericks and poetry on the stall walls like we do? We don't always have a newspaper under our arm to entertain us while we do our business, and some "freelance" literature sometimes comes in handy to help relax while ensconced in an atmosphere that will never be confused with a "botanical garden" . . .
I worked in a number of restaurants when I was young. At the end of the day, short straw loser had to clean the women's restrooms; possibly the filthiest place on the planet outside of Washington.
Leaving urine on the seat is The Number One Sin in my book, and I have almost come to blows over it with some hag who didn't bother to clean up after herself. She was insulted that I would actually bring it to her attention.
If you must hover, simply lift the seat as a man would. Problem solved.
1 2 3 Next View All