Kevin Smith’s Read on the Future of Star Wars

With six new films confirmed that we know of, is there any limit to how much new Star Wars we can take?

Walter Hudson

May 22, 2014 - 5:04 am
YouTube Preview Image

Tabling for the moment how lackluster the prequel films were, recall both the anticipation leading up to The Phantom Menace and the sense of finality which accompanied Revenge of the Sith. For me, those two moments — waiting for the Episode I reel to roll and, six years later, contemplating that I was about to see a new Star Wars film for the last time — define the bittersweet agony of Star Wars fandom in the Lucas age.

For decades, Star Wars was three movies released years apart with contradictory spin-off stories scattered throughout an “Expanded Universe” of books, comics, and video games. When the prequels were announced, it gave fans a reason to live. I remember actually thinking, “Please God, let me make it to 2005 to see this thing through. Then I can die.”

Perhaps that heightened sense of anticipation, fostered by a long drought of new adventures, magnified the disappointment of the prequels. Maybe fans would have endured Episodes I through III with more grace if they knew they might someday get more.

That’s the point writer, director, and big-time Star Wars fan Kevin Smith makes in the above interview with IGN alongside friend and frequent co-star Jason Mewes. He points out the stark contrast in development between when Lucas owned Lucasfilm and the property now under Disney.

They got the right idea now. Instead of treating it like champagne – like, “We’re gonna bring it out once every hundred years, a new cask of Star Wars” – these [guys] are like, “We’re gonna milk it to death.”

Let’s say they make twenty, and ten of them are great, and five of them are okay, and five of them are dog shit. F— it dude, that’s twenty more Star Wars movies than we were ever going to have in this lifetime.

Some of the best Star Wars storytelling and cinematics have come out of video games like The Old Republic or The Force Unleashed which were not personally directed by Lucas. It stands to reason that similar success will eventually grace the screen among Disney’s many planned films in the franchise. With something new consistently on the horizon, the stakes for each installment will be lowered. That may enable us to enjoy them more.

Walter Hudson advocates for individual rights, serving on the boards of the Republican Liberty Caucus of Minnesota, Minnesota Majority and the Minority Liberty Alliance. He maintains a blog and daily podcast entitled Fightin Words. He also contributes to True North, a hub of conservative Minnesotan commentary, and regularly appears on the Twin Cities News Talk Weekend Roundtable on KTCN AM 1130. Follow his work via Twitter and Facebook.

It looks like they may have jumped the intergalactic shark. I understand that they have "Star Wars - The Quickening" planned for a 2025 release.
I prefer Star Trek.
I share Smith's enthusiasm and positive attitude towards the next generation of Star Wars movies. The internet makes it so easy now to talk and debate and criticize everything to death, I for one am willing to overlook the negatives and get pumped for new Star Wars adventures.
I will say this about the prequels, by and large they could have been better if they: 1) Left out Jar Jar Binks 2) not used a child actor as Anakin 3) not used a pretty boy as an older Anakin and finally 4) Got someone with acting talent to play Anakin.

I yield the rest of my time.
I can fix that trilogy with two points. 1) Hire a director, and 2) Hire a writer.
George Lucas quit the directors guild in 1980 over a dispute during the making of The Empire Strikes Back. This made it difficult for him to find people to work with on later projects - top writers and directors turned him down fearing they would get I trouble for working with a non guild member.
I'm 47 so when Episode IV came out in 1977 and looking back Star Wars and Empire were the only two decent movies. By the time Return came out I was old enough to see it for the pile of steaming shite that it was. It went downhill from there with the prequels.

Is there a New Hope under Disney? I don't know. If they plan on targeting the 10-13 year old demographic like they did with Return, I'll pass and wax nostalgic on the only two worth seeing.
Uh lets see here some recent Disney blockbusters - The Lone Ranger - a swing an' a miss, John Carter - a swing an' a miss - OZ the Great and Powerful a swing an' a miss - so - I'm really not sure I have a lot of confidence in Disney...unless its animated...
Oh, Oz the Great and Powerful wasn't that bad. It wasn't a home run but it was at least a pleasant base hit.
Actually I found all of them watchable (and for the most part enjoyable)- its just that they didn't quite meet expectations (or live up to the hype especially given their budgets). Some of my difficulty was with certain casting selections - didn't really like James Franco as OZ or Armey Hammer as the Lone Ranger or the lead actor in John Carter (sorry memory glitch)...now the female leads were great picks and Johnny Depp was pretty funny as Tonto...
I maintain that what will be needed to make the new films successful are things that would make any space opera successful. The fact it's a Star Wars universe won't hinder it or help it. It's free publicity - after that, they'll be own their own. Make a lifeless gut-buster like that second Clash of the Titans, and it'll be down for the count. That universe in and of itself just isn't that fascinating, but the fact it doesn't need to be explained will help.
Half of them being great sounds incredibly optimistic. I'm not even sure the first six achieved that standard.
My God, where will it end?

Star Wars: Next Generation