Jack’s Back! 5 Reasons to Get Excited About 24: Live Another Day

We've waited four long years for Jack Bauer to return, and judging from the premier episode, this mini-season was well worth the wait.

Chris Queen

May 9, 2014 - 7:00 am

Live-Another-24-Big

For eight seasons, 24 kept viewers on the edge of their seats as counterterrorism agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) saved the world one day at a time with the help of a cast of terrific characters including computer analyst Chloe O’Brian (Mary Lynn Rajskub). The real-time, 24 hours-a-season format kept us on the edge of our seats and made for innovative television. In 2010, Sutherland and the producers mutually agreed to end the series after its eighth year, but like nearly all good things, 24 came back — this time as a limited, 12 episode season called 24: Live Another Day.

The season premiered on May 5, and based on the first two hours, we’re in for quite a ride. I’ve thought of five reasons to get excited about 24: Live Another Day. Check them out…

Yes, there were serious technical/editing problems with the original 8 seasons, for instance, I've never had a Beretta 92 morph into a Glock in the middle of a magazine; HRT/SWAT trained folk don't flag each other when clearing a room, or walk around with the their fingers on their triggers; but if you ignore that, it's a very watchable show. This new chapter was great!
When it comes to badass teams I like the team of John Reese and Harold Finch in "Person of Interest". Only one of them is actually badass while the other is a nerdy geek. But Reese is badass enough for both of them.
Michael Wincott as the villian in The Crow, Yvonne from Chuck. My nerd interest is in hyperdrive.
Jack and Chloe as best team? Kirk had Spock and McCoy. I'll take Holmes and Watson No. 1, Andy and Barney No. 2. Jack and Chloe might be 3, but, dammit there's no time!
Hey all of you guys it just doesn't get any better than Jack Bauer or Dirty Harry and the country needs both of these heroes imaginary or real.
I dunno, I tuned in the Friday rerun in part because I saw you praising it here, and I did watch for (most of) two full hours, BUT ... I didn't watch even the first season past the first few episodes and never turned it on again, and I don't see that anything has changed for the better. It is what it is, there's lots of "stuff" happening, but what causes me to tune out is where in scene after scene it depends on stupidity of a main character to advance the plot. This is obviously done on purpose, we're all shouting at the character to JUST LOOK UP STUPID, from the army major who is being warned he's targeted and obtusely refuses to duck, through a dozen other scenes in two hours. That's hard to make up for, even if some elements do work. Blech.
itellu3times, this is EXACTLY why Hubby stopped watching "Lost", "Heroes", & "Revolution". I stick with shows I like 'til the bitter end...SIGH...that happened a few seasons ago with the 1st two, & now I just learned "Revolution" has been cancelled. :(
taped the show, and enjoyed it. Enjoyed not having to sit through commericals, and will look to see where this goes with anticipation, as I enjoyed the Jack Bauer character, and he looks good as ever.
I tried watching "24" again a few weeks ago, and gave up - the technical errors and completely nonsensical actions characters took just jarred me too much. I suppose it's hard to suspend ones disbelief when one has too much experience in actual "CTU" type environments. :/
Interesting her name is Morgan considering her last big role, that of Dexter's babe.
As it was ending its run some years ago, there was talk of a "24" movie and one of the producers said they didn't know how they would incorporate the "24" style into a single film and I said, as did the other fans I know, "Screw the 24 hour plotline, just give us Bauer kicking ass!"
Yes, the President has got a secret but he keeps forgetting what it is. He'll never tell.

And yes, they are the most badass duo on TV.
There needs to be a competition for who makes more odd faces while acting: Mary-Lynn Rajskub as Chloe, or Lena Headey as Queen Cersei on Game of Thrones. It's a ticfest of spastic proportions.
1 2 Next View All