Prediction: Fat Will Be the Next Black

Mocking fat people now akin to racism.

Rick Moran

May 8, 2014 - 12:53 pm

The imbroglio involving TNT NBA analyst Charles Barkley’s comments about obese people is one of those incidents that you find it hard to agree with either side. Barkley — once known as the “round mound of rebound” should be the last person making fun of fat women. His fellow analyst Shaq O’Neil looks like he’s been packing on the pounds himself since he retired.

You have to imagine the TNT studio guys sitting around, mouthing off as guys might do in a locker room or a Man Cave, giving their opinions about how some women look, how ugly or hot they are. Except these guys are on national TV with a couple of million people tuning in.

A few choice excerpts:

Barkley was prompted by co-host Kenny Smith, another retired NBA player, who asked, “what kind of women are in San Antonio?”

“Big old women down there,” Barkley replied to extensive laughter from his fellow hosts on Tuesday, who aside from Smith include Shaquille O’Neal and Ernie Johnson. “That’s a gold mine for Weight Watchers.” (Barkley himself is a spokesperson for Weight Watchers.) He later added, “Victoria’s definitely a secret. They can’t wear no Victoria’s Secret down there,” and “they wear big old bloomers down there, ain’t nothing skimpy down in San Antonio.”

Barkley went on and on as his co-hosts egged him on, asking, “they have spandex down there in San Antonio?” and “it’s a gold mine — it’s a gold mine.”

Quite insensitive, no? But the reaction from a “fat acceptance” group should put America on notice that the next great drive for victimhood status is going to come from the BBW crowd.

Talk about a “gold mine” — imagine the smiles on the faces of the big, beautiful women who are working to make criticism and mocking of obese people something akin to racism:

The statements are not sitting well with the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance which is now calling for Chuck to apologize, ASAP.

“Making slurs about body size is just as offensive as making comments about body color,” spokesperson Peggy Howell tells TMZ Sports.

“One would think being a black man, he’d be more sensitive to having his physical body criticized. It’s totally out of line. He should absolutely apologize.”

What’s frightening is that she’s serious. The NAAFA says this about the affects of obesity:

Size Discrimination Consequences are Real!

Creates medical and psychological effects
Results in wage disparity
Affects hiring and promotion
Affects academic options and advancement

Affirmative action for people who are weight challenged? Why not? Every other “victim” of white male privilege wants it. Why should obese people be any different?

And victims they are, according to their “Mission”:

To eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment though public education, advocacy, and support.

What’s the best way to “eliminate discrimination based on body size”? Piggyback your grievances on those of other oppressed minorities of color, or sex, or sexual orientation.

Fat people are discriminated against in all aspects of daily life, from employment to education to access to public accommodations, and even access to adequate medical care. This discrimination occurs despite evidence that 95 to 98 percent of diets fail over five years and that 65 million Americans are labeled “obese.” Our thin-obsessed society firmly believes that fat people are at fault for their size and it is politically correct to stigmatize and ridicule them. Fat discrimination is one of the last publicly accepted discriminatory practices. Fat people have rights and they need to be upheld!

NAAFA’s message of size acceptance and self-acceptance is often overshadowed by a $49 billion-a-year diet industry that has a vested economic interest in perpetuating discrimination against fat people. Without active financial support from people like you, NAAFA would not exist and could not fulfill its crucial role defending your rights. While it is an uphill battle to achieve our goals, together we are making a difference.

In other words, you, too, can become a protected class under EEOC, affirmative action, and — the jackpot — the Americans with Disabilities Act. All it takes is money to hire a bunch of lobbyists and to contribute to the right political campaigns.

And Barkley, O’Neil, et al just gave the NAAFA and other like minded groups a powerful fundraising tool.

It’s one thing to act like a jerk when you’re alone with your friends making cracks about various women’s anatomical shortcomings. But doing it on national television takes a special kind of insensitivity. Not akin to racism, to be sure. But the simple, empathetic recognition that remarks like that are hurtful of other people’s feelings should have zipped Barkley’s mouth shut — especially considering his own weight problems over the years.

There are many factors that go into obesity and not all are controllable by the individual. Many men and women suffering from thyroid disease are obese, and some adrenal conditions also lead to medical obesity.

But the vast majority of obese people get that way from overeating combined with lack of exercise. When I was 285 pounds and headed for an early grave, I made some very basic, simple changes to what I ate. I didn’t starve myself. Just ate more of some things and less of others. I also made an effort to exercise a little bit.

That was 4 years ago. Since then, I’ve lost 60 lbs. and continue to lose a pound or two every few months. I have no claim to superior “will power” or anything else. It’s just a matter of making smart life choices and sticking with it — without the drama often associated with formal dieting.

Fat people don’t deserve to be ridiculed on national television. Neither do they deserve the protections offered by the federal government for “oppressed” groups. It doesn’t take much imagination to see that groups advocating “fat acceptance” will become as whiny and demanding of special treatment as any other “civil rights” group in Washington.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

Mocking people for physical traits tends to show bad manners and poor upbringing but it ain't the same as racism.
۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞­۩ஜ
my neighbor's step-mother makes $84 /hr on the laptop . She has been out of work for 7 months but last month her pay check was $21354 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Learn More

✎✎✎✎✎✎✎www.jobsEG.com✎✎✎✎✎✎✎

۩۞۩ஜ✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒✒ஜ۩۞­۩ஜ
LET’S HAVE A PRODUCTIVE 2014
CLICK THE LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION
Does that mean that Fat Black People get a twofer?
I have been skinny, and I have been fat. So I can tell you, being called skinny is just as offensive as being called fat.

Except for one thing. Both family and strangers have no problem calling you skinny. But only family calls you fat. Or over weight. But no stranger ever called me fat. At least not to my face. Though they would occasionally remark I looked like a bouncer. Which makes that my only pleasant memories of being fat. But once I lost the weight (130 pounds worth), they went back to calling me skinny. And no amount of pleading, begging, requesting, or yelling made them stop. But screaming did. Which is why I have turned to strength training. Because I doubt there will ever be any activism on behalf of the skinny. And I'll be honest, I miss occasionally being called The Bouncer.
Why can't we humans just TRY to be nice to each other? I lost 50 lbs & am keeping it off simply by eliminating gluten from my diet & cutting back on sugar. I also exercise 3 times a week & simply don't feel very good if I don't make it to the gym. Two things to remember about weight: 1) There are LEGITIMATE hormone imbalance issues that cause unchecked weight gain. 2) Junk food "calories" are cheaper than healthy calories...so some poor people (not all of them) don't have adequate financial access to affordable healthy foods. However, I have seen (at Walmart...surprise, surprise) the heaviest people with shopping carts LOADED with HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) based soda pop. Some day I REALLY HOPE there is a published study that reveals what many of us already know...this stuff is as addictive as heroin.
It seems like a fact of human nature that people enjoy having a set of sub-humans upon which to look down on. Telling people they shouldn't look down on Jews, Indians, blacks, women, gays, and Muslims just makes them look elsewhere for victims. Thank God it's still politically correct to feel superior to fat people. As I've learned reading this thread, fat people are "disgusting" and have "poor self-control." We certainly deserve it.

I'm grateful there are no concentration camps yet. One person in this thread has helpfully pointed out that concentration camp residents don't have an obesity problem. They'd think they were actually helping us.

And where is there a more cooperative group of victims than fat people? The bullies and the fat people share one thing in common: they both loathe the fat people.

Now, along comes people like Gary Taubes saying, look, there are hormonal factors at play here, and he's greeted like someone who's trying to take away a perfectly good victim group. Anything that disturbs the narrative that thin people are morally superior to fat people is to be shunned and discouraged.

I really don't think the Puritans were any better at shaming someone. "The Scarlet F" starring John Candy and Roseann Barr. Coming to a coliseum near you. Next week: the lions vs the Christians.

Regarding the poor and their eating habits, I think you might underestimate the resources available to the poor. I eat about three eggs and two slices of bacon every morning for breakfast. Lunch is a fast-food cheeseburger minus the bread and ketchup. Dinner is a steak, a pork chop, or a piece of chicken and leafy green vegetables plus a martini and maybe some cheese to go with it. I'm down maybe thirty pounds, but I've kept it off for two years. Sometimes I really crave bread, cookies, or ice cream, but I usually allow myself only one ice cream bowl a month. The point, though, is someone can do this on a budget.

You're right about fructose. It's especially addictive if you're someone for whom insulin fails as a feedback mechanism -- the more you eat, the hungrier you get. I have to avoid it and any sugar, also potatoes, pasta, bread, rice, beans, even onions and carrots. Fortunately, gin and bourbon are carb-free! :)
(show less)
Hurray for you ! If it works for you , do it, but don't tell others that that's some magic potion for politically correct thinness.
Reformed Trombonist, congrats on your weight loss...but not for the "physical appearance thing", but more importantly that you are respecting your own health enough to take decisive action to improve it!! Also congrats for being a responsible adult & eliminating many unhealthy foods & consuming "in moderation" your favorites in the "not so good for you" category...it's a real pleasure to meet a "responsible adult", the "real endangered species" these days!! "gin and bourbon"...LOL. I know what you mean, I choose to be a vegetarian, (no meat or fish), because I feel better not eating meat, it's too hard for me to digest. However, I HAD to give up gluten (I MISS French Bread), when my ovarian cancer had spread & they took all my female organs, appendix, omentum & 1 foot of my colon...the missing bit of colon must have been the "digest gluten dept." Not long after chemo ended I got chemo induced neuropathy in my hands & feet & Hubby researched it & found I can be about 95% pain free by eliminating cow milk products from my diet & taking extra B-1 & B-12. Acupuncture restored about 25% of the feeling in my hands & feet. I REALLY miss nice imported cheeses & plain greek yogurt, but eliminating most of the pain is WAY more important!! Life is about choices & some of us make good ones. Here's a STANDING OVATION for you & your life saving choices!! :)
I appreciate the congrats, I really do. But I lost thirty pounds or so based not on will power or any other personal attribute, but on knowledge. I was trying to be good and avoid fatty foods and eat grains and beans but I kept packing on the pounds. Then I read Gary Taubes and said well, you know, the conventional wisdom has failed, let's try something unconventional.

> but more importantly that you are respecting your own health enough to take decisive action to improve it!!

But see, I always did. Some decisive actions are better than others.

The path that worked for me might not work for someone else, though. A very large part of human anatomy is designed for the slow, controlled burn of sugar, carbs, and fat, with what must be thousands of hormones making this burn happen. Insulin is probably the largest single player, but they are many others. One of these days, scientists are going to discover the little hormonal switches that make someone too hungry for his own good and prescribe the 'off' switch. Then we'll understand that at least for most people, it was a hormonal problem to begin with.

Sorry to hear about your issues with cancer, and best of luck and prayers for your struggle.
Reformed Trombonist, Then you deserve further congrats, for spending the time researching nutrition, hormonal imbalances, etc.!! I had to do this when I was 22 & was improperly diagnosed with a mystery digestive ailment. Dr's told me to eat a low fiber diet, so I would eat & then double over in pain for hours. It was terrifying bring hospitalized for this when everyone else in the G.I. Ward was 60 to 80 years old!! About 2 weeks after my release from the hospital, in desperation, one day I walked into a Health Food store & luckily there was a dietician working there. She told me I needed to be on a high fiber diet, but not to shock my system by eating a bran muffin that day (another thing I MISS now), but to start out with a 1/2cup of applesauce & gradually add on to that until (inside of a month) I should be able to eat a bran muffin. I followed her advice, immediately got better & cancelled my follow up appt., with the arrogant G.I. Dr. Then I started to spend DAYS ON END, at the Main Library, researching medical journals for the latest research on nutrition, with a medical dictionary open while I read. I was STARTLED to discover that the earliest adopters of new research on nutrition was the Health Food industry, NOT the medical industry!! It typically takes 10 years for new research to result in common practice. The ONLY exception to this rule that I have EVER seen is the results of the multiple studies on Vitamin D deficiency here in the USA, a few years ago. Dr's started to recommend supplementing with D immediately. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you look into the proper "care & feeding" of your digestive system. There's just starting to be a lot of good research pouring in on that. The obvious benefit is that many of the nutrients in our food are absorbed in the intestine, NOT the stomach. I just CRINGE when I see all those antacid commercials on TV...this is the body telling you to eat different food or food combinations, not to cover up symptoms with drugs!! I have done exhaustive research on the digestive system & I have distilled my findings down to 2 areas. 1) Pro-Biotics. If you've EVER in your life, taken an anti-biotic, you have altered your gut bacteria. One of my favorite pro-biotic products (can't have it now, cause it's made from cow milk), is Lifeway brand Kefir. It's like a drinkable yogurt & comes in either plain or fruit flavor & they have a whole milk version. My only complaint is that the Nazi's at the FDA won't allow a Raw Milk version, but that's another fight I won't go in to here. This Kefir is yummy & has 16 uniquely different strains of pro-biotics. I used to to put it in the blender with fresh fruit, milk & protein powder & have a uber healthy & yummy smoothie. There are pro-biotic capsules, but getting this from food is best. 2) Enzymes. These are present in most "real food" (nothing processed) & are required for proper digestion. They are ABUNDANT in fermented food. However, a LOT of food that "used to be" fermented isn't anymore because it takes the commercial food companies too much time & their goal is to get the food "out the door" & onto grocery shelves, so they have found "work around" solutions to by-pass the fermentation process & still have the food taste the same. I regularly buy Bubbie's brand dill pickles & sauerkraut. I get them in the refrigerator case at Whole Foods Market. Fermented foods MUST be refrigerated to stop the fermentation process, otherwise the glass jars they are packed in will explode, so one of the 2 ways to identify true fermented foods is if they must be refrigerated. The other identifier is that fermentation is done with salt, NOT vinegar!! Most raw veges are loaded with enzymes, so we cook them & destroy the enzymes...[sigh]. I believe that's why we have so MANY digestive issues in this country...no pro-biotics + no enzymes = heart burn, GURD, IBF, etc. The primary reason to insure these things are in our diets is to have a properly functioning digestive system so the nutrients in our food are actually ABSORBED & can then nourish us & stave off illness. However, a PROVEN "side effect" of this process is weight loss!! Raw Pineapple, is one of the BEST sources of the digestive enzyme bromelain which helps break down fat for absorption. I don't know (haven't researched it) if it's best to have Pineapple before or after a steak (since you used steak as an example). It sounds like you are on some variation of the Paleo diet, (Hubby's fave) & if you stay on that, you should continue to have success in bettering your health & see further weight loss. Thanks for your kind words on my having killed cancer...I decided it WOULD NOT kill me!! I wish you MUCH SUCCESS in your ongoing quest to improve your health!! :)
It's best to have manners in what you say about others and a thick skin to deal with what is said about you. Sticks and stones.... Besides, if you can't laugh at yourself and can't take a joke you're not a person I want to know.
Someone being fat is a good indicator that they have poor self control and a high time preference.

Useful information.
Aother a%hole !
This is often true but NOT always. Google Hypo-Thyroidism & you will see one of the symptoms is the inability to stop gaining weight. I know 17 people (16 women & 1 man...it's mire common in women) with this condition, including my Mom (whose NOT overweight & my BFF who is). Hypo-Thyroidism is increasing in the American population at an alarming rate. Sodium Fluoride, (present in most big city water supplies, in toothpaste, mouthwash & at the Dentist in the form of "Fluoride Treatments" are suspected), but the ADA (American Dental Assoc.) tells their Dentists this is not so...all the same I use ZERO anything with Fluoride in it.
Please do me a favor: walk up to five-time Pro-Bowler Casey Hampton and tell him. I'd like to see his response.
Somehow this all reminds me of that Mitch Hedberg joke about alcoholism, goes something like this: "People say alcoholism is an illness, but if so, it's the only illness you can be yelled at for having. 'Dammit, Fred, you're an alcoholic!' 'Dammit, Fred, you have lupus!' One of those statements just doesn't belong."

Obesity may be an illness, but nobody yells at fat people for being fat, though -- except for Marine drill sergeants and high school phys-ed teachers. But nobody laughs at someone who has lupus, either.
I've been a gravitationally-challenged yoyo all my life. When I was in first grade, I was 50 inches tall and weighed 82 lbs, at least twenty heavier than the next classroom contender. I was 5'10", 235 lbs in tenth grade. Then I lost weight, down to 143 lbs by my senior year in college. In my mid-forties, I started the climb back up again and peaked at 240, and am now down to about 210. I'd prefer 160, but it's better than 240, so I count my blessings.

So, to paraphrase Joni Mitchell, I've looked at obesity from both sides now.

The only person I've ever read who seems to understand obesity and what obese people go through is Gary Taubes. I'm fighting genetics and I'm fighting culture. The fight never stopped once I started it in high school; I've just been more successful at fighting it at some times of my life than at others.

Personally, I don't think obesity should qualify someone for special set-asides; I don't think anyone should get privileges be based on skin color, sex, sex prefs, fat, or whatever.

Nor should we add it to the list of Things We Should Never Talk About for Fear of Offending Someone, namely the PC list. We should not be taking sensitivity classes; we should be taking insensitivity classes. That is, we should not be encouraged to look for newer and better ways to be offended by someone's behavior or remarks, but for newer and better ways to ignore the remarks and insensitivities of cruel people.

I figure that Jesus was the one man ever born who deserved nothing but love and respect, and look at what we did to him. If he didn't get love and respect, nobody else deserves it either.

So I try not to walk around saying, oh woe is me, about my physical traits and lack of physical aesthetics.

That said, saying something cruel to someone isn't different when saying it to someone because he's black, or someone because he's fat, or someone because he's ugly, or conservative, or Jewish, or short, or homosexual. The motive is cruelty for its own sake, and the result is at worst hurt and/or angry feelings. That's never right.

And I harbor the suspicion that some folks want to deny saying nasty things to fat people is worthy at all of opprobrium because it's just so much fun to pick on fat people. Why, we've already made everything else we like to pick on a PC project -- if you take fat people away, why, we'll have nobody to insult! I've heard from more than one source that it's okay to insult fat people because they have control over their weight. Someone who says that has never been fat. It's that simple. There are things we fatties can do that help our situation -- like, e.g., avoid sugars and starches as much as possible. But I've spent most of my life in a state of hunger; other people eat when they're hungry, and they're fine, but if I eat when I'm hungry, I put on weight. Since hunger is subjective, the smug ones really have no idea what they're talking about.

I've taken and endured some of the worst people have to offer. Picked on in school for being fat, openly ridiculed by fellow classmates, and even by teachers and phys-ed coaches in particular -- the very ones who should have known better. Why, you just haven't lived until your 9th grade health teacher holds you up to the rest of the class as a prime example of the ravages of obesity. Everybody should have that wonderful high school experience to look back on.

Or nobody should. Why not treat people, even kids, with dignity?
(show less)
(show less)
Not if the mocking comes from a black person. That's the double standard we live with every day.
Play that chunky music, fat boy...
1 2 3 Next View All